Posted April 11, 2014
Lighthouse is a K-8 charter school in Oakland with a sister 9-12 charter school located on site. I am most impressed with the high standards for teaching, the emphasis on critical thinking and problem solving, and the dedication to helping every student succeed. I have two children at Lighthouse. One is a flexible, enthusiastic learner and one struggles with a mood disorder which interferes with his ability to participate positively in a school environment. I have been so thankful for the commitment from teachers and leadership to help ensure that BOTH my sons' needs are met. Lighthouse NEVER gives up on a child but believes that kids do well if they can and we need to figure out what they need in order to make good choices in and out of the classroom. I am so thankful that my children can be part of such a strong and inclusive community.

Lighthouse Community Charter School 4

Posted April 11, 2014
My child has been at Lighthouse since kindergarten and is now in 7th grade. For our family, it has been a great fit and an extremely positive experience. Lighthouse holds students to high academic expectations and has a rigorous curriculum that is interesting to students. The transition from elementary to middle school, often traumatic, was seamless and easy because of the way LCCS is structured. The teachers "loop" with their students, so students have their teacher(s) for two years, which allows teachers to really know them and their needs. It is impossible to fall through the cracks in middle school because of small class sizes and daily check-ins with crew leaders. I have confidence that my child's needs (academic, social, emotional) are being met by adults who care.

Posted April 11, 2014
I am a parent of a 7th grader who has attended Lighthouse since kindergarten. The school has been a great fit for our child - challenging and educating her in countless ways. We have been involved in many extracurricular activities and have become very close to the teachers and support staff of the school. I have always enjoyed working with other parents and the staff to create an atmosphere of cooperation and community. These projects range from a volunteer group that built the school's playground to building the book returns for the library to helping with the new creativity lab. Lighthouse's focus on community building and parent involvement makes it a place that all of us - students, staff and parents are really proud of. I think this is a model school and an outstanding place for my child to receive an education.

Posted April 10, 2014
I am a teacher at Lighthouse. I can't imagine teaching and learning in any other school environment. The school is a community of learners very focused on the mission of the school. As a teacher and learner, I appreciate the highly collaborative school design which allows for collaboration with my peers. I also appreciate the culture of the school--it really feels like a community. An area of growth for us is to continue to figure out how to provide more services to our students who have struggling experiences with reading, math, and character.

Posted October 19, 2011
Lighthouse has a friendly community. Teachers are available to help their students and there are many programs after school that offer help and support, as well. The principal has great communication with all the students and tries to get to know them so he can help them with their special needs. This school is a college ready school so in other words, students are ready for college and all the obstacles included once they graduate from Lighthouse.

Posted September 04, 2011
I am a Lighthouse Student for about 3 years 6th- 8th grade. I think these reviews are not accurate at all. First of all when I started there I didn't like the work and their teaching methods. I guess it was because I wasn't used to caring staff and teachers. Now I don't want to leave. I feel that Lighthouse has grown with it's students. Now there are electives and the school is very organized. I acknowledge the fact that the high school is very diverse from other high schools in the area. However, I would much rather have teachers that care about my growth as a student than a "high school experience" They also have counselors to help with our emotional problems to enhance our learning experience. The really take care of each individual student to make them feel as comfortable and safe as possible. I believe this is the true meaning of teaching to the "whole child". I now know how it feels to grow as a student and feel prepared to do Anything(make an oral presentation or to take a test). As I state, their main goal is to prepare us for college and a life ahead. So for students/parents that might not like Lighthouse all they want if for a better future for Oakland and its children.

Lighthouse Community Charter School 1

Posted August 07, 2011
If you want your kids to learn, LCCS is not the school for you. if you need day care for your teens, this is the school for you. My 2 children attended this school and they always came home complaining, that it wasn't diverse and they felt left out and the work was not needed. When I moved my children from that school, they had trouble with the work b/c LCCS very behind on their school work. As a parent I regret sending my children there. I do NOT recomend this school for you.

Posted May 27, 2011
As a parent, I am very pleased with this school. First of all, it has stable leadership. the directors have been there for several years and even their own children go to the school, a good sign. I chose this school because it has solid academics plus art, music and language program. The new facility is awesome with art rooms, music rooms and language rooms and a very nice library. I like that the teachers here loop, meaning students get a teacher for two years for 1/2 and 3/4. Also, teaching here is not just basic skills. They really do more project based learning which is what I wanted. As I work, my little one is in the after school program which has good teachers and great activities like art, drama, soccer. She likes it so much that she doesn't like being picked up early. The only drawback is that the new facility is located off of hegenberger, which is a commute on the 880, but it really is a dream school and one of the best public school elementary options in Oakland. Lighthouse is definitely worth checking out.

Posted May 08, 2011
I am a graduate from Lighthouse and I was there since it opened. I will have to disagree with most of the people on here that gave Lighthouse a bad review because I honestly grew up in that environment and I was always supported by ALL the staff. I grew up to become a really responsible person and much more. To be honest, to get an education a student should not have the high school experience, what matters is that the student learns. If there is no P.E. class, then have the student join the soccer or basketball team, they should try something new. If you want to see this school change, then do something about it because you can't just expect change to happen within this school without the support of parents, family and students. And about the students needing to take classes elsewhere, it is fine because they're free anyways and it gives the student a lot of experience and makes them a step closer to being college ready. Teachers are never overwhelmed, in fact they try their best to accomplish all student needs. I believe you should reconsider your thoughts about this school because it is a great school for everyone.

Lighthouse Community Charter School 4

Posted February 16, 2011
These reviews are dated, as the school - at its new location - has rectified some of the complaints, such as - no playground - it now has one with full basketball courts, a lawn, 2 play structures. The building is new and clean with a lot of open layouts and lounges and an atrium as well as a gymnasium type room that has a multifunction. It is a small school and I believe the staff IS trying to accommodate it's students and offer them individual support and attention.

Lighthouse Community Charter School
444 Hegenberger Street, Oakland, CA  94621
Last modified Lighthouse Community Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lighthouse Community Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top