Bad
Good

This school is a hot mess. My classroom is wild and the students just ignore the teacher. My teacher is not even trying to control the class. She sprays Glade or something awful in the room which gives me a headache and a shaking feeling when I come home everyday. I cry sometimes too and I don't feel well in class. She just ignores me. the dean is really passive and does nothing. This school feels like the crazy house and my parents have found me another school where I can feel safe and learn.

NOCCS is a community where the older children are nice to the younger ones even when the teachers and parents are not looking. We feel lucky to be a part of this small, intense, and beautiful school.

We have been at Noccs with both our kids 9 years! From K through 8th and we have had the most amazing experience. The teachers and the community are outstanding. The advocacy for the students on the part of both the teachers and the principle have been a huge part of what has made this such a positive experience.

Our school, and it is that, a school held by a community of staff, teachers, parents and students, listens to and considers input from all quarters, and weighs the pros and cons in a considered way. The school is small (200) students, which allows for great adaptability - each year, something is tweaked, whether the process of communication - this is constantly evolving, the facilities, or the schedule. This is possible due to a diligent process of self-reflection - what works, what doesn't, how can we improve. Professional development is generous and in-house.

NOCCS has great teachers who work hard to bring quality, fun learning into the classrooms. Great community and parent involvement....

This school has a great balance of academic and social learning with a creative curriculum, dedicated teachers and staff, and a strong sense of community. Students learn comprehensive lessons that are reinforced through various subjects and come away with a deep understanding of concepts. The class sizes are smaller than most public schools in Oakland and the elementary grades are looped which allows students to better know their peers and teachers and families to bond in a meaningful way. And the small overall school size fosters a great sense of community within the student body--students of all grade know each other and interact regularly. Each child is known by staff, teachers, and fellow students so it's very hard to slip through the cracks. The biggest challenge I see at the school is the facility, which doesn't have a dedicated gym or outdoor space, but the school has been creative in managing that situation.

From our first day we have been grateful for the warmth, connected, creativity and passion of NOCCS faculty, families and students. Looking forward to the years together.

The parent teacher ratio has afforded my daughter the attention she.nzedds . Couldn't be happier with her developmental growth.

This school is diverse, progressive, supportive of all learners, and full of creative, innovative and fully dedicated teachers and staff. We compared NOCCS to other area public and private schools and can't believe our luck in finding NOCCS and getting in off the lottery. We are thrilled with both the community and the education. All great!!

NOCCS offers a stellar education for K-8 students and a warm supportive community for teachers and families.. Some of the hallmarks are multi-age classrooms allowing kids to "loop" with a teacher for 2 years, the Teaching for Understanding framework which promotes deep integrated inquiry, a peacemaking curriculum linked to the Mosaic program (conflict resolution skills/ diversity education), a critical focus on social emotional development as essential to academic growth and success, and regular opportunities for age-appropriate community engagement/service learning. NOCCS is also unique in its extremely high levels of parent involvement at every level. I have had 5 children educated at NOCCS and have the highest regard for this small excellent school. The teachers, staff, and administrators are among the most passionate, innovative, and caring that you will find. NOCCS teachers do not "teach to the test" and yet our test scores demonstrate students' mastery of concepts across the board. NOCCS strives to be a place where ANY and EVERY child in Oakland can receive a great education and Ithey have been tremendously successful in realizing this goal. As we say, NOCCS rocks!!

Last modified North Oakland Community Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.