Oakland School for the Arts

Charter | 6-12 | 701 students

Posted October 18, 2009

I attend OSA and this is my second year. I think the curriculum offered is one of the best in the state, and the teachers do an excellent job. The academics are very well explained and each emphasis or major is taught and refined exemplary. Some parents may not agree with the wide acceptance of diversity, culture, religion and especially sexual orientation, however this school would be a wonderful choice for any school wishing to hone their talents and skills.

Posted April 30, 2009

I am a student at osa and i love it. Some parents may not understand but then again they don't go here. I think the students should rate the school. They are the ones being educated here. I love it here. The people and the arts. Its fun and better then most oakland schools. I would much rather be here then at any other school

Posted March 5, 2009

My child has been at OSA for four years now and I have seen a tremendous growth in the school and in my child. My daughter is excelling and focused on success and her future! There is only so much inspiration a parent can share. It is a reality that children are influenced by their peers and what a great environment OSA is for inspiring success! The academics- great and the arts- phenominal!

Posted March 4, 2009

Now that we made it into the Fox Theater, our dream has come true, a real performing arts school in Oakland! It is such a joy to see how this school came up from the portables in the middle of San Pablo Avenue to the Fox Theater. This school can now demonstrate all that it has to give back to the community in a state of the art building! The kids are happy to wake up and go to school. It's a dream come true for Oakland! I invite you all to come see for yourself, as there are plenty of performances to choose from. The kids come from different cities bringing diverse talent!

Posted December 29, 2008

I am aware that OSA has had some trouble in the past, but as a new family this year, those days seem far behind. We couldn't be happier in this school. The teachers and administrators are amazingly dedicated and the diverse student body creates such a rich climate. Our high-achieving kids are being challenged and offered special activities to enrich their education. We really couldn t ask for more in a school, and are happy to have found it before the relocation to the new Fox since I m sure it will be much harder to gain acceptance in the future!

Posted October 9, 2008

This school an average because I have already experienced (please don't take offense to what I say, it's how I feel) a mediocre attitude (as most in Northern Cal) towards an artist career. What I mean is, that if your kid is an artist, I'm sure most of them would love to persue it out of school too. I know mine does. Especially since OSA has no cheerleading, sports. Mine is an actor & being one, you have to audition & work (to keep training) and that means on school days too. But the Dir of Student Affairs doesn't seem to realize that. It seems that the fear is that an absence there is a loss of money. If that is so, why do professional sets have studio teachers. Studio teachers are in place to ensure a child is keeping up w/ school & credit the students. Just a thought.

Posted October 9, 2008

I have a sixth grader at this school. Yes, it's the first year. And so for so good. My child loves this school ever since she knew of it. As a child who dreams and at the sametime strives to be a performer, feels really benefited and grateful to even have been accepted at this school. My child has come to me on many occassions to tell me how great and accepting every student seems to be. Which is something my child did not have at the previous public school my child attended. As a parent, so far it's been okay for me. I have noticed that there is a small lack of organization. But I suspect that will be all worked out when the school moves.

Posted September 1, 2008

I have had two sons attending OSA for the past 4 years. It has been quite rocky in the past with bad Leadership qualities, but I'm SO happy with our new head of school. Plus, it obviously trickles down to the teachers as there is no turnover this year. The kids are happy at this school as they get to practice the things they love on a daily basis. This is a school where as a parent you don't have to worry about the safety of your children. We are so lucky to have a school like this in Oakland. If you have an artistic child,BRING THEM HERE!

Posted August 28, 2008

I am a 11th grade student who would've been attending her 3rd year at OSA, but sadly I was obligated to pull out. And when I say sadly I mean extremely sadly. I met my family there, all of the students are extremely accepting and I love all of whom I am happy to call my friends. Sure there is a history of high teacher turn-over, but ALL of the academic teachers from lat year are still loyally teaching there. Honors and AP classes are beginning to make an appearance, and they are going to be moving into the FOX THEATRE! I really can't see how this school can go anywhere but up and I will bed doing my bet to return.

Posted June 24, 2008

sure this school isn't for everyone but after 9 years of a so-called racially diverse 'Inner city' private school.. we were so ready for this experience. My daughter has loved this place since she first laid eyes on it. it's real.. and real can be really scary for some. Don't be scared your kid will love it. performances whether my kid is dancing or not I am moved to tears

Posted February 24, 2008

I have been going to osa since i was in sixth grade im now in eighth grade. I feel that yes the administration is rocky but it is going to be with all the changes that keep happening. Like the languege classes i have had 7 different teachers in the past three years. 3 Differnt visual arts emphasis and 2 different directors. But i feel that the school is at rock bottom as organization goes but it has the best star test results in all of oakland and i feel if you are afraid of alittle instability then dont go there. You could just go some were else and have your kid be a below average student or go to osa and have your kid learn in a fun invironment were you will find so much spirit in the teachers your student will want to and will learn.

Posted December 13, 2007

Incredibly dedicated teahers. Wonderful exposure through the school to Jazz and R&B superstars; a very safe campus; Dynamic kids. A celebration of diversity.

Posted December 10, 2007

I am freshman at OSA and i have been going there since 7th grade. I have seen so many teachers and admin changed! We have recently changed to our 4th director. I feel lucky to go this school whenever I go to performance because they rock but otherwise I am embarrassed and dissappointed. The seniors and alumni are not comforting and I have gotten mixed messeges. Overall, OSA is a good school if you are passionate about what you do but many kids arent and it definately shows. I think the faculty could be a lot more organized or at least make it so the chaos is not so obvious.

Posted September 27, 2007

Where else in Oakland are you going to get an extensive arts program. Especially MUSIC! DANCE! THEATRE! VISUAL ARTS! If you are truly interested in these courses and cannot afford private school, then this IS the school. If your child is not self-motivated, this may not be the school for you. All schools have complaints about administration and teachers. Have you been to any Oakland Unified School District Meetings lately? My daughter is a 7th grader and she loves it? In part because the arts emphasis makes school fun. It makes going to school fun. It makes going to math, english and history fun. What great memories you can create for your child. School was FUN! Learning is FUN! Academics improve when a child wants to come to school. With the new director, things are looking up.

Posted August 15, 2007

Since Jerry Brown has left the school has been in a downward spiral. The behavior of the students is uncontrolled. The dress code is unenforced. The parent are not kept informed and even though the administration asks for help there is a feeling of 'stay out' that exists.

Posted August 1, 2007

My 7th grade daughter has completed one year at the school. Having read every other review posted at this point, I agree with comments about the administration not being open or communicative with parents and students. I am actually a fairly involved parent--go to meetings, on committees,etc.-- and still feel 'on the fringe' at times. However, I believe positive change is on the horizon. Because the student community is very supportive, and the academics are decent, my child is continuing. With more administrative communication, and more students being given the chance to perform (I will say the same kids tend to get the lead roles and vocals) the school will end up being first class. So, if you want to get in at the ground level and help develop it--this is the school for your family.

Posted May 4, 2007

I am a sophmore in the Visual Arts emphsis, and I have, for the most part, been enjoying my time here! I have met some wonderul people and have been getting a good education. Students who are self-motivated will go well here, because there is not always enough communication between the admin. and the students. Teacher turnover rate is high, especially in the Romance Languages department. Discipline is good; not very many fights at all! This is a great school for teens who don't feel safe in a 'normal' high school, especially teens who are LGBT. There is a wonderful accepting atmosphere for diversity. OSA is still a new school, and is going through 'growing pains', so students must be flexible and be willing to change (I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder; this is a little difficult for me). Commute is fairly convenient, very close to 19th st. BART.

Posted May 4, 2007

I am a student at OSA, and even though I am some what unhappy with the way the school is being run, and many students have left because of the academics and the administration, I like being an OSA student. I know that I would never get an art education like this at a regular high school, and I feel I can be myself with out having to worry about not being accepted. The student body is a family and we help each other out, the teachers are right there with us, and many of us have found a way to work with the problems we face, and isn't that what life is? Making the problems work? We aren't just being schooled so we can go to college, we are learning how to live in this world.

Posted February 27, 2007

I graduated from Oakland School for the Arts in the spring of 2006 and I am now attending Columbia University in New York City. While it is true that OSA has gone through some growing pains over the last five years, I would never have gone anywhere else. That being said, OSA is not a school for everyone. Students that thrive there are self-motivated, curious, and flexible. Because OSA is not quite settled it is important that students are willing to work as part of a team, rather than taking a self-centered outlook on their education. While this is hard for some people to understand,the benefits of being a productive and positive participant in the success of the school as a whole give students skills that prepare them for their future and give them a strong sense of community and family within the school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 25, 2006

Horrible administration. They are probably only worried about filling the quota and retaining them to look good.
—Submitted by a teacher

(2012)

8 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

12 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

24 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students87%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)60%
Parent education - college graduate61%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate73%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students97%

School start time
  • 8:10 am
School end time
  • 1:00 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school