Posted September 06, 2014
My student is a senior at OSA. Her first 2 years of high school were at a suburban high school. She was not happy there. Her grades were mediocre, her mood was down. It was not the right place for her. She started at OSA and found friends, her artwork has developed and her grades are great. They are great because she works hard because she cares. OSA really changed her outlook. She has had good and great teachers. I get regular emails about grades from her teachers. I get weekly emails regarding school event, meetings, needs, etc. Our emphasis has a facilitator that is very organized. She communicates with all of us as needed. Mr. Harris is constantly working on new initiatives. My student's department bought needed equipment last year. We currently have a multi-year lease on the Sweets Ballroom which gives us a dedicated theater for our performances. The staff at OSA is really friendly. When I call they are nice and helpful. The security is good and polite. I feel like the kids are being cared for. The arts programs are so impressive. OSA has been a great place for my kid and for our family.

Oakland School for the Arts 4

Posted February 18, 2014
Our motivated and quirky kid entered OSA sick of school, saddened by being bullied; disgusted with the rudeness and immaturity of the students at our local middle school. She found at OSA: supportive classmates...a caring mentor...committed teachers...a refuge and a place where she bonded with others and where it was okay to be ambitious and worldly. She graduated from OSA in three years and entered UC Santa Cruz this fall--so far is earning straight A's there. Parent involvement is turbo charged.

Oakland School for the Arts 3

Posted August 19, 2013
As a student at OSA, I can tell you that isn't a horrible school. Although I do not like it myself, that does not mean that it isn't the right fit for you or your child. But that being said, it is (like many have stated previously) poorly managed. I have had issues with another student of sexual harassment that was NOT handled to the extent that it should have been. The teachers are either outstanding or very mediocre, and behavior and dress code is brushed aside despite the facade that they are enforced. But, while the administration is lacking, the arts are far from it. The students that are really passionate about art excel to above college standards, and even the kids who don't apply themselves as much in art either drastically improve or are given a new view on their emphasis. Teachers incorporate a specific students' emphasis to help them understand their academic studies, and the arts are taken very very seriously. This is the right fit for a child with a strong adoration for their art, even if they aren't the sharpest pencil in the box.

Posted July 30, 2013
This school is great for the arts. Small, safe, and engaging for students of all walks of life. Great kids and very safe! Excellent parent involvement. I hope my daughter stays here for high school :)

Posted July 30, 2013
Great school! My daughter loves the vocal department and looks forward to performing every year. She is starting 8th grade, is very happy and doing very well academically.

Posted November 21, 2012
Our daughter is a 7th-grade theater student in her second year at OSA. She came to OSA from a top-flight Oakland public elementary school, and her transition to the frenetic, hyper-creative, largely indoor, combined middle- and high-school atmosphere at OSA was somewhat stressful at first. She's settled in now, though, and neither she nor we would trade the OSA experience for any other; her academic education has been more than satisfactory and her arts education has been extraordinary. Her teachers, both academic and arts, are passionate, fair, well educated, and very intelligent. As a result of the creative collaborations she's been a part of, she has a very diverse friend pool that extends from sixth to twelfth graders, from Alameda to Livermore to Richmond to Brentwood. One of our fondest hopes in sending her to OSA was that her middle school social and cultural life would be founded in creative collaboration rather than superficial judgmentalism; so far, so good.

Posted October 04, 2012
I agree with the previous parent, OSA is like FAME on streroids. If you have a artistic child, this is the place from them to grow not just as a artisit but a active participant in a evolving community. Yes, theres the great, good, bad and just dreadful in every community. Thats where we come in as parents. Prepare your kids to be challenged. To be heard. Acknowledge that sometimes the only thing you can change is yourself. OSA has been a refuge for my A student whose grown academically, emotionally and professionally. Yes! Each child is working at a craft. It is really inspiring to watch. So don't be discouraged by negative reviews check the school out for yourself. Work with the amazing staff for yourself. Sometimes it really works others times not so great. Overall, it's worth it to have this level of professional training at a public charter school!!

Oakland School for the Arts 4

Posted August 14, 2012
My child has been attending OSA for 3 years now, going on her 4th. I am impressed with school overall and recommend it to anyone looking for an alternative school for their artistic, unique child. The Academic program has gone through changes, but I see improvement each year, and the one bad year, with one bad teacher, they addressed it quickly. When my child's math seemed to be overwhelming, I was able to email, call and visit with the teacher to figure out options on how to improve. There is a lot of parent involvement opportunities and I encourage you to be part of it, so your voice is heard. It is a family like experience for the kids. Yes, it is also shows the typical attributes of a regular school and all its issues, but with a principal walking the halls and insisting that he gets to know the kids by face and name says a lot also! It's like FAME on steroids!

Posted June 14, 2012
Our daughter just completed 6th grade in visual arts. It was a big change from a small elementary school, but she was supported by both her art emphasis teachers and academic teachers. There seems to be a joy in the halls of OSA that I haven't encountered other places. A number of the kids seem to be struggling with math, and the school and parent community are working hard to improve tutoring opportunities, particularly in math and writing. Hopefully this effort will continue and expand.

Oakland School for the Arts 2

Posted December 09, 2011
There are many positive aspects to this school. However, there are some negative aspects also. The math proficiency scores for the school are frighteningly low. If your student struggles in math, don't expect this school to help him/her. The proficiency rating in math is around 25% - meaning only 25% of the students are proficient in their grade level of math. Which is appalling. Certain teachers are problematic in that they are so wrapped up on their special causes, it can lead them to be unfair. My student has been called out and reprimanded for asking questions about the class structure. This same teacher has acted in a discriminatory manner based on race. The emphasis teachers are not on campus for the entire school day. This shortened day with the multitude of activities in the school pretty much guarantee that it can be impossible to contact or talk to certain teachers. The schools is excellent at painting a very rosy picture, but there are some serious issues to considered when sending your child here.

Oakland School for the Arts
530 18th St, Oakland, CA  94612
Last modified Oakland School for the Arts is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oakland School for the Arts Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 74 reviews.