Public charter
Oakland, CA

Posted December 03, 2014
My daughter is in her second year at OSA, she is a seventh grader. My daughter has come alive at this school. She is so happy, motivated and self directed that I offer little direction. She wakes up everyday on her own excited to get to school on time. Y way of public transportation. She could literally be at school all day; sun up to sun down and not want to leave. Academically she is also doing well, above. 3.0. She loves to learn and has taken part in the science club without prompting from me. The teachers are hold high expectations and offer support whenever needed. Because many of the teachers cross teach in the arts, they seem to understand the kids. They are true gems in terms of holding the space the kids are in and recognizing they are still learning and developing. We have had zero problems with the teachers and the communication has been stellar. Middle school is the time students try on many different hats trying to figure out who they are and who they want to become. OSA offers a safe and supportive environment that allows her to flourish into the person she wants to become. Happy OSA family.

Posted December 01, 2014
I just finished my senior year attending Oakland School for the Arts, graduating in the class of 2014, I was excited to finally get my diploma. The school started of in portables, but now that it is in such a beautiful and historic building such as the FOX Theater, it creates a very inspirational atmosphere. In my four years attending OSA, it has had a huge influence within the media. With alumnae like Zendya from Disney channel and students staring on competition shows like Americas got talent, I know this school will birth many new stars of the future. Also the college enrollment for the high school is extremely high, all of my friends I know, are now starting their fall quarter of college. Thanks to attending Oakland School for the arts I got a heads up in applying into my dream college based on a full year scholarship. I am now attending the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, one of the top fashion schools in the United States, that host TV shows like Project runway and Threads. If your child truly has a passion, Oakland school for the Arts is the best one to develop that into a career.

Posted September 16, 2014
My son is in the Digital Media small school at OSA. He wakes up happy to go to school every day. He says often that he forgets that he is at school because he likes it so much. His teachers are prepared, energetic and interesting. He does not have one bad teacher. OSA has chosen gifted students, teachers and staff so it is no surprise that it is a great environment for kids to learn and mature as a human being and as artists. If your child is honestly gifted in the arts there is no better place for them than at OSA.

Posted September 06, 2014
My student is a senior at OSA. Her first 2 years of high school were at a suburban high school. She was not happy there. Her grades were mediocre, her mood was down. It was not the right place for her. She started at OSA and found friends, her artwork has developed and her grades are great. They are great because she works hard because she cares. OSA really changed her outlook. She has had good and great teachers. I get regular emails about grades from her teachers. I get weekly emails regarding school event, meetings, needs, etc. Our emphasis has a facilitator that is very organized. She communicates with all of us as needed. Mr. Harris is constantly working on new initiatives. My student's department bought needed equipment last year. We currently have a multi-year lease on the Sweets Ballroom which gives us a dedicated theater for our performances. The staff at OSA is really friendly. When I call they are nice and helpful. The security is good and polite. I feel like the kids are being cared for. The arts programs are so impressive. OSA has been a great place for my kid and for our family.

Oakland School for the Arts 4

Posted February 18, 2014
Our motivated and quirky kid entered OSA sick of school, saddened by being bullied; disgusted with the rudeness and immaturity of the students at our local middle school. She found at OSA: supportive classmates...a caring mentor...committed teachers...a refuge and a place where she bonded with others and where it was okay to be ambitious and worldly. She graduated from OSA in three years and entered UC Santa Cruz this fall--so far is earning straight A's there. Parent involvement is turbo charged.
2 people found this helpful

Oakland School for the Arts 3

Posted August 19, 2013
As a student at OSA, I can tell you that isn't a horrible school. Although I do not like it myself, that does not mean that it isn't the right fit for you or your child. But that being said, it is (like many have stated previously) poorly managed. I have had issues with another student of sexual harassment that was NOT handled to the extent that it should have been. The teachers are either outstanding or very mediocre, and behavior and dress code is brushed aside despite the facade that they are enforced. But, while the administration is lacking, the arts are far from it. The students that are really passionate about art excel to above college standards, and even the kids who don't apply themselves as much in art either drastically improve or are given a new view on their emphasis. Teachers incorporate a specific students' emphasis to help them understand their academic studies, and the arts are taken very very seriously. This is the right fit for a child with a strong adoration for their art, even if they aren't the sharpest pencil in the box.

Posted July 30, 2013
This school is great for the arts. Small, safe, and engaging for students of all walks of life. Great kids and very safe! Excellent parent involvement. I hope my daughter stays here for high school :)

Posted July 30, 2013
Great school! My daughter loves the vocal department and looks forward to performing every year. She is starting 8th grade, is very happy and doing very well academically.

Posted November 21, 2012
Our daughter is a 7th-grade theater student in her second year at OSA. She came to OSA from a top-flight Oakland public elementary school, and her transition to the frenetic, hyper-creative, largely indoor, combined middle- and high-school atmosphere at OSA was somewhat stressful at first. She's settled in now, though, and neither she nor we would trade the OSA experience for any other; her academic education has been more than satisfactory and her arts education has been extraordinary. Her teachers, both academic and arts, are passionate, fair, well educated, and very intelligent. As a result of the creative collaborations she's been a part of, she has a very diverse friend pool that extends from sixth to twelfth graders, from Alameda to Livermore to Richmond to Brentwood. One of our fondest hopes in sending her to OSA was that her middle school social and cultural life would be founded in creative collaboration rather than superficial judgmentalism; so far, so good.

Posted October 04, 2012
I agree with the previous parent, OSA is like FAME on streroids. If you have a artistic child, this is the place from them to grow not just as a artisit but a active participant in a evolving community. Yes, theres the great, good, bad and just dreadful in every community. Thats where we come in as parents. Prepare your kids to be challenged. To be heard. Acknowledge that sometimes the only thing you can change is yourself. OSA has been a refuge for my A student whose grown academically, emotionally and professionally. Yes! Each child is working at a craft. It is really inspiring to watch. So don't be discouraged by negative reviews check the school out for yourself. Work with the amazing staff for yourself. Sometimes it really works others times not so great. Overall, it's worth it to have this level of professional training at a public charter school!!

Oakland School for the Arts
530 18th St, Oakland, CA  94612
Last modified Oakland School for the Arts is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oakland School for the Arts Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 77 reviews. Top