Posted May 12, 2014
Bentley School's greatest strength is the parent community. I have found the parents to be hardworking toward the schools goals, kind and inclusive. My daughter has attended the school since kindergarten. However, the school has an accelerated curriculum and therefore produces gaps your child's learning. Your child's math and spelling book is 1 year ahead and they skip all around according the teacher's scope and sequence. To date, the school has not produced a curriculum map so you can have a sense of what your child needs to know. If your child needs any assistance the school has a list of outside educational providers that parents choose from ($70-$110 per hour/ testing $800). This is different from other independent schools so do your research and ensure that your child can perform well in the accelerated environment.

Posted February 07, 2014
I have a 4th grader and a kindergartener at Bentley. As a family, we are thrilled with the school. My 4th grader's teacher is amazing. Her energy and enthusiasm are contagious and her academic expectations high. But what's more is that she gets my child and understands her strengths and needs in a way that tells me she's really paying attention. My son's K teacher is equally terrific. She really knows her stuff and connects to her students in a way they love. My son adores her and has learned so much. I appreciate the attention and care both my kids receive and I feel as though I have true partners in their education. The teachers and administrators are very responsive over e-mail. The parent community is great -- friendly and pretty easy to get to know, though you do need to put yourself out there and get involved to meet people. The school's drop off/pick up valet line makes it difficult to socialize at those common gathering points, so you need to find other ways to meet people. All in all, if you are looking for a warm, nurturing environment with challenging academics and top teaching, Bentley is a fantastic choice.

Posted October 26, 2013
My son goes to Happy Valley and we've been very pleased with the quality of education he has received, the teachers commitment to excellence, parents involvement as volunteers and their support of the school.

Posted May 02, 2013
Bentley is an amazing school with the most talented teachers in the Bay Area. Our kinder-gardener thrives at Bentley. The best part for busy parents are the four to six page report cards at the end of each trimester with details from each teacher on your child's performance. Bentley also offers additional after school classes. I would highly recommend for perspective parents to consider this school.

Bentley 2

Posted April 26, 2013
This school is not what it once was. This review is primarily about the middle school. Years ago this school was once a place of high achievement and excellence; today it is a school of rich kids who can pay and below average academics. There is a huge drop off in teacher and student quality from the lower school to the middle school. Currently the Middle School Head has hired very young, inexperienced (and presumably cheap), mostly non-credentialed teachers who have little classroom management skills and no control over the students. This year the new math teacher and the existing humanities teacher are not returning. In addition, during the past two years the school has lost math, science, humanities, trivium, music, and PE teachers. This year the school is also losing French and Chinese teachers. The Head of School keeps appointing people to leadership positions but yet there is no parent or teacher involvement. The school does not utilize a parent survey to gather information, nor does it seek involvement in anything but fundraising. On the positive side the K, 2, 3, and 5th grade teachers are awesome. They are seasoned veterans who are outstanding.

Bentley 3

Posted April 07, 2013
I was a student at Bentley from kindergarten to eight grade. I thought the academics were great, but I didn't like how closed-minded the teachers were, and how little the classes and grades were. There wasn't any sense of independence or freedom AT ALL.

Posted June 28, 2012
We have two kids at Bentley (2nd and 5th) and we couldn't be happier that we made this school selection for our children. We've been wowed by the professionalism of the staff, the amazing teachers, the challenging curriculum and the academic and personal resources available for Bentley kids and their families. The school doesn't play lip service to having a no-bullying policy- it practices what it preaches and the school fosters a community-wide, supportive environment for student, faculty, families and visitors. Our kids have been challenged out of their comfort zones and have stretched themselves academically beyond what they thought possible. If you're looking for a stellar, highly-trained and educated staff; challenging curriculum and small school environment, Bentley might be a good choice for your family.

Posted March 27, 2010
Our family is new to the school and we love it. The setting is great for learning and the academics are first rate. They know our child so well. I also like their placement record to great high schools and colleges. I do wish the tuition at these schools was not so high, though.

Posted April 27, 2009
I have had two children at Bentley. I have mixed feelings. My first child struggled with the lack of diversity for most of her 9 years there. The prior post that mentions the administration's lack of action towards ill-behaved children is spot on! THE EDUCATION IS FANTASTIC! If you are a parent that is active and not easily intimidated, it could be a great fit.

Posted January 15, 2009
My husband I have a 8th grader who has been at the school since 1st grade. We are planning to put our youngest into the kindergarten program this fall. We travel from the Tri Valley are into Oaklnd. Our public school district is one of the best in the state. Our neighborhood schools are given the highest awards. We choose to be a part of the community because of the academic rigor, the smaller class sizes all the way through high school, the attention to global diversity - not just the limited definition of black and white or rich and poor. Our family has experience tremendous returns on the investment we made in our child. She is a confident, independent thinker who can hold her own in any subject. She is more than prepared for her next journey -high school.

Contact Information

1 Hiller Drive
Oakland, CA 94618

School website

Bentley
1 Hiller Drive, Oakland, CA  94618
Last modified Bentley is a private school that serves grades K-8
Bentley Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews.