Oakland Military Institute, College Preparatory Academy

Charter | 6-12 | 608 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 10, 2014

This school seems to lack the quality of education i saw the first time i heard about this school. It has become worse than where it started from. Children are just not happy being at this school because their best interests is not the focus anymore. I attend a parent advisory council meeting to find out what's going on with the school year...I was so disappointed with the lack of organization and lack of respect for anyone speaking. it's a real shame they lost a great superintendent that though about the wellness of the children to one that wants to discipline and take things away from the kids like wearing gloves and scarves on a cold morning. Teachers lack the personal touch of education and and not it's all about money when it comes to the Mandatory parent hours quota. they need to find someone to put them back on track for the children's sake There was no point in attending another PAC meeting because they simply didn't care for anything but themselves.

Posted October 14, 2013

This is an amazing school. I feel the structure is what a lot of kids want and need. This school serves children from a variety of socio/economic backgrounds. However, this school is not for every child and family. One of the great things about this school is that it is Free.

Posted September 10, 2013

My school can improve by having bigger lunch proportions and a bigger selection of breakfast and lunch. Also, they have to be more Lenient especially towards students that do well academically.

Posted August 13, 2013

Where to start? OMI is an amazing school. They teach the whole child. They expect a lot and help each child achieve success. I know that my sons are doing well because of the amazing people at this school. I can't thank the wonderful people at OMI enough.

Posted August 12, 2012

I love this school, they are very detailed and child oriented. They have the kids best inrerst in mind. I really love the fact that there is no off campus lunch so kids have less time to get into trouble, and focus on education. Great teachers, great staff, and very well prepared to teach the kids for college and the real world. The uniforms is a plus and a pocket saver on school clothes.If there is kids who are struggling in public schools I recommend this school, it fixed my kids up and I dont regret sending them there.

Posted August 7, 2012

My 2 sons couldn't be more different if they tried and for the life of me I don't know what kind of child does well at OMI. The one thing I did take note of is the demographic of OMI. Although I still believe it to be a great school I guess my children aren't great for it.

Posted April 23, 2012

If you are looking for a safe school for your children this is it. No longer do I worry about whether or not my child is on campus or supervised. They are! And not just supervised, but involved. The teachers are courteous, thorough with their assignments and are always available even when I just stop in unannounced. The Superintendent himself is located on the campus and has twice made time to meet with us an answer questions about uniforms and permission slips when nobody else was around. The after school staff takes the time to let me know how my child did on their homework that day. It is clear that while the military aspect has changed quite a bit from last year and is a bit mismanaged from the top down, I am glad my child is still receiving the education we were looking for. I recommend this school to any parent who wants their child who wants to go to college.

Posted April 23, 2012

If you are looking for a safe school in Oakland for your children this is it. No longer do we worry about whether or not our children are on campus or being supervised. They are! And not just supervised but involved. The teachers are courteous, thorough with their homework assignments an are always available even when we come in after school. The Superintendent himself is actually located on the campus and always make time to meet with us to answer questions about uniforms and permission slips when nobody else is around. He knows the students by name and ours feel they can go to him for anything. Even the after school staff take the time to let us know how they did on their homework that day too. The military management has changed a lot since last year and more inconsistent than we were used to but the company sargents who do work with the students are dependable. I'm glad our children are still receiving the attention and education from the school that we were looking for. We recommend this school to any parents who want their children to be well cared for while preparing for college.

Posted October 21, 2011

If you want your child to experience real dedication to excellence this is your school. I have been part of the OMI family for seven years and have seen it grow into an amazing institution. The school readies young adults for college by emphasizing discipline, respect and dedication. The staff is truly committed in helping to raise responsible and caring people. There is more support staff than I have seen at any other middle / high school in my life and they all play valuable rolls in the children's daily lives. I encourage any parent serious about their child's successful future to consider OMI as your families choice.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 9, 2011

I am very happy to have found the school that has made a difference.. The Oakland Military Institute. Not only are they a college prep academy, but the faculty and staff have proven to every student that they have a devoted interest in their future. It's an extraordinary school that allows our children to benefit from highly educated, professional members. My son has learned to take full responsibility for his actions, he is growing up to be a respectful young man. A special thanks to the Admissions officer, MAJ Wells, for the opportunity. The school tour was incredible and he was able to answer all my questions and explain any doubts I had. My son refers to him as being an astonishing person, who helps people equally. The dean of students, Miss Frost, gets five stars! If it was not for her, I would know very little. She truly cares about her kids! Her dedication and consistency proves it. We admire and respect the faculty and staff at OMI. They are all great!!! THANK YOU.....OMI !!!

Posted September 8, 2011

MY SON IS BEGINNING HIS SECOND YEAR AT OMI. WE BOTH KNOW HOW LUCKY WE ARE TO HAVE FOUND OMI. WHAT WE LEARNED QUICKLY WAS THAT OMI OFFERS A PROGRAM THAT REFUSES TO ALLOW THEIR STUDENTS TO FAIL. THEY OFFER CLEAR EXPECTATIONS OF EACH INDIVIDUAL (STUDENTS, PARENTS, AND STAFF). OMI DOESN T JUST DICTATE EXPECTATIONS. WHEN YOU WALK THROUGH THE HALLS YOU ARE IMMEDIATELY AWARE THAT YOU ARE A VALUED PART OF THIS COMMUNITY. EACH INDIVIDUAL FROM THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF ADMINISTRATION TO THE YOUNGEST STUDENT, EVERYONE IS TREATED WITH THE SAME LEVEL OF RESPECT. ADMINISTRATION AND STAFF WALK THE WALK NOT JUST TALK THE TALK AND THE RESULTS ARE AMAZING!!! THEY ARE CONSISTENT AND THEIR GOAL IS NOT ONLY TO EDUCATE BUT INSTILL INTEGRITY AND BUILD CHARACTER. THEY PROVIDE THE SUPPORT AND RESOURCES REQUIRED FOR EACH STUDENT TO BE CONFIDENT, SUCCESSFUL, INDEPENDENT, RESPONSIBLE AND RESPECTFUL YOUNG INDIVIDUALS PREPARED TO GO ON TO COLLEGE...LIFE!!

Posted September 3, 2011

My son enrolled at OMI last year for sixth grade. He is a very bright son that we adopted just 3 years previously from South America. He had a very difficult time in oth schools, and never attended the same school years in a row. Everyone at OMI, from the admissions officer, to the principal, dean and superintendent have done everything in their power to help our son succeed. I have never seen a school with staff and administration so dedicated to students' success. I hope to see my son graduate OMI and go on to a high quality college like 80% of their graduates.

Posted September 2, 2011

We enrolled our son in OMI at the beginning of his junior year because as smart as he is, it was not displayed in his grades. Within 2 - 3 months we started seeing a remarkable improvement in our son: he was happy, his grades were improving, and we didn't have to 'beg' him to do his homework. When we asked him why the big change, he told us "because I can tell the teachers at OMI really care." That was a HUGE testament coming from a 16 year old student and we see it every day when we pick him up; there are so many teachers still at the school at 6 and 7 pm in the evening!! Not only are the teachers dedicated but the administrative staff is also awesome. If I forget to complete a form, my son's counselor will contact me to remind me of deadlines. She's helping us understand the college process. The one-on-one contact with the OMI staff always amaze us. Our only regret is that we discovered OMI so late, we wished we had discovered this school when our son was in middle school. We are 100% confident that he would be far more advanced than he is today. OMI faculty and staff, thanks for EVERYTHING that you do to develop our Oakland children!!!

Posted September 2, 2011

I transfered my son to OMI for high school because he was having a little difficulty in the public/large classroom setting. He is now in his Sr. year and I must say had I kept him in a regular public school, I do not believe he would be graduating with the 2012 class. The teachers and staff and OMI are wonderful! The REALLY care about the kids' success and it shows in my sons renewed commitment and dedication. I developed a relationship with all of his teachers and office staff and it just feel like a small family. It's nice to know that the teachers and staff also care. My son has attended OMI for 4-years and will be graduating this year (2012) and I must say that I am EXTREMELY happy and appreciative with the school. I urge you to call or give them a visit if you are looking for the BEST for your child without paying private school fees!!

Posted July 20, 2011

authorities of this school do not have good communication to parents. I personally had a issue that happened there which I felt unsatisfied with the resolution. When it happened they never told nothing, Im still wating for an explanation what happen with my son. Some bad students accused him of something that never could happen. I know my son and they know him, too. Al teacher put their hands on fire for him, but authorities don't , because they don't know the students. I'M PLANNING TO MOVE MY SON TO OTHER SCHOOL. HE WAS ACCEPTED AT LOWELL HIGH SCHOOL IN SAN FCO, BCAUSE HE GOT 3.5 TO 4.0 GPA. AND NO DEMERIT SINCE HE STARTED IN 6TH GRADE.. I AM COMPLETELY UPSET OF THE SCHOOL DISCIPLINE PERSONAL

Posted March 20, 2010

this is a good school but they want to kick kids out to fast because they act bad but by kicking them out what will that slove the problem they should help the kid out instead of kickinhg them
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 23, 2010

I am the mother of two teenage daughters, both of whom attended an Oakland Catholic school for the first nine years of their educations (grades K-8). My older daughter went on to and still attends an Oakland Catholic high school, but my youngest daughter had some issues which led us to conclude that OMI might be a better fit for her. I definitely feel that we made the best choice. OMI is as close as you can get to a private school without paying the price. I love the fact that they offer MORE discipline than the Catholic schools - something my daughter really needed. She is held accountable for her actions, and rewarded when she does well. I was surprised to receive the first phone call when she was misbevahing, but the staff does a great job of keeping parents informed. My daughter loves her school, and so do we.

Posted January 19, 2010

One of the top school in oakland!!!

Posted January 19, 2010

I absolutely love OMI. It's as close to a private school as you will find in any public school. I love that it's from grade 6 - 12. Transitions from elementary school to middle are not easy, so it eases your mind that you won't have to go through that for high school. The teachers really care about your child's education. I feel secure that my child is in a safe environment. The students are taught to respect each other and to do their best. It's not all boot camp as most people would think a military school is all about. The importance of college is drilled in these students daily. I wish I had known about this school sooner. My son has been there for 2 years now and loves it.

Posted January 19, 2010

Both my nieces attend OMI and since attending their grades have improved. The start of this school year they were given the option to changes schools and they both said no. They get a lot of 1 on 1 and the classes are small. I act in place of their grandmother for all scool activiites. Thank You Bunnie Brown Note this is my second time

This school's

+24

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

5 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students47%

Parent education - high school graduate50%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)55%
Parent education - college graduate45%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students90%

• Dara Northcroft
Fax number
  • (510) 597-9886

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now