Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

As a teacher, I did not feel supported. Student's are great to work with but since the school is going through a lot of transition, there is just not enough disciplinary action.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

The teachers are over worked and not given enough support. That is what I find ineffective.

Develops character: Disagree

From my experience, I noticed students were not being prepared since teachers were encouraged to lower students expectations in order to pass the classes

It is truly unfortunate the parent of June 2014 had the experience. There are over 700 students at Oakland Military Institute (OMI) and I'm sure a few families have found this is not the environment for their child. This is my second year and what I have learned from our first year is that there are no excuses. Not only are the children academically challenged they are also taught life skills...At times communicating with teachers can be challenging (they have limited time); however instructors, military staff and others are committed to these cadets. Staff are on campus from 6 am. to 7 p.m. In addition, staff are there if and when cadets need help. There are parents who for whatever reason don't want to follow the rules and those are the parents with the negative comments. I highly recommend this school to any family interested in providing a good education (and free), to their child as well as teaching them life skills, how to be a leader and building confidence. Last but not least, after school program...awesome!!! Kudos to Oakland Military Institute College Preparatory Academy!!!

Honestly this was the biggest mistake of my son's education. Not only did the teachers not really teach but they seem to blame the child for their mistakes. No wonder the retention of teachers and school administrations seems to become worse by the week. I tried working with my son's teacher and even asked for her assistance in help him improve. She just have me a blank stare like I was speaking another language. They have young educators starting their teaching careers here or something because I have never seen the lack or nurturing education in my life from a teacher with experience. When I asked her what about tutoring she said more worksheets! Don't put your child in this school because not only do they deny them bathroom use and at times lunch meals. They also deny them a learning experience. When I finally transferred my son to another school district that had Counselors and caring teachers and school administration, all his teacher said he was way behind in his learning from OMI. Another tragic school that started out with a positive outlook for a 3.2 grade point student only to end with disappointing result. Never again.

Big thanks to Maj Wells for taking a group of OMI young men to the Vanguard Conference for Africian American college bound men this weekend. Thank you for your dedication!!!!!

This is an amazing school. I feel the structure is what a lot of kids want and need. This school serves children from a variety of socio/economic backgrounds. However, this school is not for every child and family. One of the great things about this school is that it is Free.

My school can improve by having bigger lunch proportions and a bigger selection of breakfast and lunch. Also, they have to be more Lenient especially towards students that do well academically.

Where to start? OMI is an amazing school. They teach the whole child. They expect a lot and help each child achieve success. I know that my sons are doing well because of the amazing people at this school. I can't thank the wonderful people at OMI enough.

I love this school, they are very detailed and child oriented. They have the kids best inrerst in mind. I really love the fact that there is no off campus lunch so kids have less time to get into trouble, and focus on education. Great teachers, great staff, and very well prepared to teach the kids for college and the real world. The uniforms is a plus and a pocket saver on school clothes.If there is kids who are struggling in public schools I recommend this school, it fixed my kids up and I dont regret sending them there.

Last modified Oakland Military Institute, College Preparatory Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.