Oakland Military Institute, College Preparatory Academy 1

Posted June 01, 2014
Honestly this was the biggest mistake of my son's education. Not only did the teachers not really teach but they seem to blame the child for their mistakes. No wonder the retention of teachers and school administrations seems to become worse by the week. I tried working with my son's teacher and even asked for her assistance in help him improve. She just have me a blank stare like I was speaking another language. They have young educators starting their teaching careers here or something because I have never seen the lack or nurturing education in my life from a teacher with experience. When I asked her what about tutoring she said more worksheets! Don't put your child in this school because not only do they deny them bathroom use and at times lunch meals. They also deny them a learning experience. When I finally transferred my son to another school district that had Counselors and caring teachers and school administration, all his teacher said he was way behind in his learning from OMI. Another tragic school that started out with a positive outlook for a 3.2 grade point student only to end with disappointing result. Never again.

Posted October 14, 2013
This is an amazing school. I feel the structure is what a lot of kids want and need. This school serves children from a variety of socio/economic backgrounds. However, this school is not for every child and family. One of the great things about this school is that it is Free.

Oakland Military Institute, College Preparatory Academy 3

Posted September 10, 2013
My school can improve by having bigger lunch proportions and a bigger selection of breakfast and lunch. Also, they have to be more Lenient especially towards students that do well academically.

Posted August 13, 2013
Where to start? OMI is an amazing school. They teach the whole child. They expect a lot and help each child achieve success. I know that my sons are doing well because of the amazing people at this school. I can't thank the wonderful people at OMI enough.

Posted August 12, 2012
I love this school, they are very detailed and child oriented. They have the kids best inrerst in mind. I really love the fact that there is no off campus lunch so kids have less time to get into trouble, and focus on education. Great teachers, great staff, and very well prepared to teach the kids for college and the real world. The uniforms is a plus and a pocket saver on school clothes.If there is kids who are struggling in public schools I recommend this school, it fixed my kids up and I dont regret sending them there.

Oakland Military Institute, College Preparatory Academy 3

Posted August 07, 2012
My 2 sons couldn't be more different if they tried and for the life of me I don't know what kind of child does well at OMI. The one thing I did take note of is the demographic of OMI. Although I still believe it to be a great school I guess my children aren't great for it.

Posted April 23, 2012
If you are looking for a safe school for your children this is it. No longer do I worry about whether or not my child is on campus or supervised. They are! And not just supervised, but involved. The teachers are courteous, thorough with their assignments and are always available even when I just stop in unannounced. The Superintendent himself is located on the campus and has twice made time to meet with us an answer questions about uniforms and permission slips when nobody else was around. The after school staff takes the time to let me know how my child did on their homework that day. It is clear that while the military aspect has changed quite a bit from last year and is a bit mismanaged from the top down, I am glad my child is still receiving the education we were looking for. I recommend this school to any parent who wants their child who wants to go to college.

Posted April 23, 2012
If you are looking for a safe school in Oakland for your children this is it. No longer do we worry about whether or not our children are on campus or being supervised. They are! And not just supervised but involved. The teachers are courteous, thorough with their homework assignments an are always available even when we come in after school. The Superintendent himself is actually located on the campus and always make time to meet with us to answer questions about uniforms and permission slips when nobody else is around. He knows the students by name and ours feel they can go to him for anything. Even the after school staff take the time to let us know how they did on their homework that day too. The military management has changed a lot since last year and more inconsistent than we were used to but the company sargents who do work with the students are dependable. I'm glad our children are still receiving the attention and education from the school that we were looking for. We recommend this school to any parents who want their children to be well cared for while preparing for college.

Posted October 21, 2011
If you want your child to experience real dedication to excellence this is your school. I have been part of the OMI family for seven years and have seen it grow into an amazing institution. The school readies young adults for college by emphasizing discipline, respect and dedication. The staff is truly committed in helping to raise responsible and caring people. There is more support staff than I have seen at any other middle / high school in my life and they all play valuable rolls in the children's daily lives. I encourage any parent serious about their child's successful future to consider OMI as your families choice.

Posted September 09, 2011
I am very happy to have found the school that has made a difference.. The Oakland Military Institute. Not only are they a college prep academy, but the faculty and staff have proven to every student that they have a devoted interest in their future. It's an extraordinary school that allows our children to benefit from highly educated, professional members. My son has learned to take full responsibility for his actions, he is growing up to be a respectful young man. A special thanks to the Admissions officer, MAJ Wells, for the opportunity. The school tour was incredible and he was able to answer all my questions and explain any doubts I had. My son refers to him as being an astonishing person, who helps people equally. The dean of students, Miss Frost, gets five stars! If it was not for her, I would know very little. She truly cares about her kids! Her dedication and consistency proves it. We admire and respect the faculty and staff at OMI. They are all great!!! THANK YOU.....OMI !!!

Oakland Military Institute, College Preparatory Academy
3877 Lusk Street, Oakland, CA  94608
Last modified Oakland Military Institute, College Preparatory Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oakland Military Institute, College Preparatory Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 51 reviews.