Oakland, CA

Manzanita Seed 4

Posted January 04, 2015
Manzanita Seed is a good school. I'll surly recommend the school. The teachers instil alot of discipline into the kids and teach them well, giving every child an opportunity to express themselves. The after school program is awesome, They reinforce the teachings of the day. The only issue with the after school program is that there is no Spanish class. My child really enjoyed the school for kinder and first grade but we had to move due to my job. The principle listens to constuctive suggestions and she really tries by getting alot of grants for the school.

Posted September 16, 2014
My son graduated/promoted from SEED in 2009(the first class since it opened). The teachers were really good then but I'm not sure about now. The faculty members and teachers would stay after to help students out if they needed it. The after school program was great. There was not a day where my son came home unhappy. He is now in his junior year of high school at Encinal in Alameda and still misses this school.

Posted August 19, 2014
This is an excellent school where children learn by doing. Songs, rhythm, and projects are used often. Classes are bilingual, students spend half the day with an English speaking teacher, and half the day with a Spanish speaking teacher. The afterschool program is designed to enhance the day program, not just keep the children busy. Gardening, yoga, music, theatre, and many field trips are all included in the curriculum. I cannot say enough good things about this school.

Manzanita Seed 2

Posted August 10, 2014
My son is starting here and the school so far is pretty lackluster. It's split between rich parents who don't want to pay tuition at EBI for dual immersion elementary and monolingual latino families. If you are hovering above the poverty line but well below the county average in earnings expect to be alone. Do not expect to get into their after school program as 90% of slots go to sibling preference. Also don't expect the school to be efficient in processing applications for anything. They make you turn things in obscenely early and then notify and hand out decisions the day before so it's difficult to plan anything. I guess it's what you get if you cannot afford private school.

Manzanita Seed 3

Posted June 04, 2012
I agree, Manzanita SEED is a great school. There is tremendous support by Ms. Carter, the principal, and her dedicated. Also, the Spanish immersion focus is stellar. However, I have to say that the school is lacking tremendously for children with special needs--they simply don't have the support from OUSD (Oakland Unified) to give to the students that aren't 'typically developing.'

Posted March 25, 2012
This is our daughter's first year in elementary school and we couldn't be happier with out choice! Our daughter has already learned so much and her Spanish language fluency has skyrocketed. I love the diversity and the many ways the school celebrates it. The teachers and the principal and all the staff is amazing!

Posted February 03, 2011
My son began at SEED as a kindergartner. He is now in 3rd grade. He loves school, and he is on his way to becoming truly bilingual. He especially enjoys the after school program drama, art, and sports classes.

Posted May 01, 2010
My son began at SEED in K and is now nearing the end of 2nd grade. It has been a wonderful fit for him. He is doing well academically and socially. He loves the After School Program with its professional artists who teach music, dance, theatre arts and visual arts. This great program is free. The quality of writing in both English and Spanish among all the 2nd graders is amazing. I feel this is due to the fact that they do so much hands-on science and then write about it. My son won't let us miss an after school cultural event. I highly recommend this school. The test scores went up significantly last year, and the reports the principal and our son's teachers send in newsletters indicate that they will go up again this year.

Posted February 25, 2010
Manzanita SEED is a gem, especially for parents looking for a dual immersion Spanish/English program, diversity and positive learning environment.

Posted February 24, 2010
I have to agree with the other two parents, Manzanita Seed is a great community school. Both of my kids attend SEED and when my youngest will enroll in the fall. Friends and family are always impress when they meet two Asian kids who knows how to conversation in Spainsh. I love it!

Manzanita Seed
2409 East 27th Street, Oakland, CA  94601
Last modified Manzanita Seed is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Manzanita Seed Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top