PK-7|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Posted November 05, 2015
We're in our third year at EBI and can't say enough good things about it. Last night my seven-year-old son sat next to me and said, "I just want to finish reading this book before I take a bath." It was a 66-page chapter book in Spanish, and he whizzed through it in a couple of hours. In addition to their immersion in Spanish, the kids have made some wonderful friends and love every one of their teachers. We've been so impressed by the level of education, the dedication of the staff, and the involvement of the parents. We can't recommend EBI enough.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 05, 2015
All of our teachers have been wonderful--Merly, Mara, Flori, Carlota, and Martín, our Spanish teachers, and Jessi, Julie, and Adwoa, our English teachers. I want to thank each of them for being so dedicated as well as all the assistant teachers (Deisi, Yessica, Jovanna, Saday, and Carlos), and the head of school, Jon.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted November 05, 2015
Both my first and second graders take one one homework packet a week. In it are a math worksheet, two pages of Spanish homework, and two pages of English homework. My first grader's packet also includes a reading log to record what she's read throughout the week. It's a small amount of homework, but enough to reinforce what they've learned that week. They also bring home a library book each week to read at home.

Posted November 01, 2015
My preschool aged son is currently enrolled at EBI and we are completely satisfied with the school. His Spanish vocabulary has increased dramatically since starting at EBI. He feels welcomed by his teachers and enjoys his days at school. I appreciate the clean and safe facilities -- there is a convenient parking lot which makes drop off and pick up easy. His teachers and school administrators have very open and clear communication with parents. I highly recommend this school and look forward to my son continuing his education here.

Posted October 29, 2015
We're two months into year one at EBI (for pre-k), and are so happy with our choice. Initially we were drawn to EBI for Spanish (which my son is picking up quickly!), but what I'm really thrilled about are the community feel and IB curriculum. It's hard to describe, but this is exactly the type of learning environment that I know will work for my son. The teachers and staff are loving and supportive, the units of inquiry are comprehensive yet age appropriate, and the transition has felt very natural.

Posted October 29, 2015
EBI is a great school. My child has been there for the past four years and has gone from being hesitant in new situations to being a true risk-taker. She is at grade-level in both Spanish and English. I am especially impressed with the math program as my child LOVES math. Watching how they teach this subject, I find that the children get a deep understanding of the mathematical concepts, not just the mechanics. For example, when my daughter was learning subtraction, she learned how to do this with two one-digit numbers. However, when the teachers (or parents) have challenged her to do subtraction with two, three, or even four digits, she can abstract there. Furthermore, the teachers constantly challenge students to apply their knowledge outside of their comfort level in ways that are inquiry based. For example, in first grade, the teachers challenged the students to think about prime factorization of larger numbers by asking them a question such as if you have 15 cookies, how many equal groups can you split them into (3 groups of 5 or 5 groups of 3). This idea was so exciting that my child constantly asks for more questions like this at home. Our family looks forward to being at this school for many years and giving our child an international education.

Posted October 16, 2015
I was drawn to EBI for Spanish immersion alone and also because we thought our bright, spirited, anxious kid needed a smaller environment than public school could offer. He has become such a confident boy and has received an incredible amount of nurturing and care at EBI. I think he would do well in public school now but we are staying (and putting his brother there as well) because I love the parent community. Academics are a priority for us and I feel like he is learning concepts in a much deeper way than I did as a child. He truly loves it, he is valued for his differences/quirks, and is thriving and learning. What more could a parent ask for? EBI mom

Escuela Bilingüe Internacional
Amount of homework: no rating

- a school leader
Generally, there is a homework packet in English and another in Spanish. Students practice and extend what they are learning in the current Unit of Inquiry in the homework.

Develops empathy: no rating

- a school leader
Teachers and staff embody compassion, caring and empathy. They are also part of the characteristics that students are asked to live by.

Develops honesty: no rating

- a school leader
These are qualities that EBI instills in its students through its teaching methods, its no-bully program, and the overall mission and values of the school.

410 Alcatraz Avenue, Oakland, CA  94609
Last modified Escuela Bilingüe Internacional is a Private school that serves grades PK-7