Bad
Good

As a substitute teacher, this school is a pleasure to work at. The students are respectful and studious, with tons less behavior problems than many other schools, including richy private schools. One thing I observe here is a simple, clear behavior protocol that help kids make choices to succeed rather than act out and be bratty. This school does not confuse kids with permissiveness or coddling which I see so often elsewhere. After all, discipline is love and anything else is probably laziness. These kids know what's up and they self-correct in an amazing way. This creates a vibrant learning and teaching environment with room for a lot of joy in learning. Great job, staff, for helping students prepare for the real world and brilliant futures. (-:

Best school for challenging, rigorous work! It stresses academics. Don't wanna work hard, don't enroll-period!

This school really sucks. My son cant seem to put his grades up, Doesnt get the help he needs and worst of all, they have to sit in a classroom with no heater at all. All the teachers do is complain. they cant handle the children on their own and need to go to the principal.

This school has a militant backround, the children are stessed out. My son went from a fun loving child to a bitter angry student. He will not leave the school, because he does not want to quit anything he does. They do not provide lunches for the children nor breakfast, I do not beleive they children are getting nourished properly, they are not allowed to use the faculity facility to keep there food at a safe tempature.. There heating system has been broken for quite a while and the students are subjected to learn in 63 degree weather when it is cold outside. The Dean terminatd one of his teachers infront of the students. my sos has received detention for entering class 1 min late and another for not having his shoe tied. They confiscated our cell phone that is shared in the house hold for the remainder of the year and I am almost positive that is a felony violation, because the device is over 600 dollars also my son is one of my daughters primary careholders and now we can not communicate, when my husband and i went to retrieve the device we were told to withdraw my son if we needed the phone no matter what the factors were.

Although the teaching stile is strict the school is being measured by the teachers and not the cherry picking of students. I know this because I am a student at AIPCS. In elementary school I got bad grades. would I have gotten in if they cherry picked? The myths that AIPCS cheats is a total lie the students and faculty just work hard unlike the other public schools. Although the teachers are super mean and they put a lot of stress on us I know it's for the best, and I like the school.

May son attend this school since his 6th grade. Now he's 10th grade.We are from low income family. We are appreciated AIPHS has contributes their efforts to help our kid works up to the top. This school has demonstrated that the student and teachers working very hard for their success. The study hard in class and work very hard with their home works.Their API is the top and above most High School in Oakland. The student earns it not the teachers. How many family can afford their kid go to private school? and there are very few good public school in my district. so we don't have much choice. AIPHC is the only one that most parent want. because they provides good education and discipline for the student. The school also encourage student take special summer programs from UC campus.Their AP Class from 10th to 12th grade are essential requirements and will transfer to UC.

I work at AIPCS.my children slack of and dont their work.once hey told me b it was because they are tired of the work and decipline

I am very concerned that the teachers and administrators of AIPHS are sadly out of date. The school is successful because it can be choosy about the students it lets in. Its success does not measure the quality of education given or the talent of its teachers -- it only measures strict admission requirements and harsh methods of "encouraging" students. While some students' learning styles mesh with the antiquated, fiercely competitive environment, many of the students feel an unacceptable level of pressure -- not because of the curriculum, but because of inflexible teaching methodolgy. The actual learning environment is dismal, with almost no change for students -- the students sit in the same classroom all day. Students are given "detention" for minor infractions related to the need to break up long periods of inactivity. This school's approach to education is outdated, and its overly competitive emphasis creates a negative learning environment for many students.

In terms of academics, AIPHS gets 4.5. The teachers is good mostly. My daughter is only in 9th grade, but excited baout going to Merritt College in a few years because she will have mre teaches and maybe more freedom. The bad par of the school is not clubs and sports. My daughter used to play socccor and softball in elementry school and AIPHS do not offer them.

PE, a few teachers,small amount of teacher... it's not the real problem. There is not much spirit or enthusiasm in classes. I would like any parent to spend a day there to realize what's really going on. Its actually like any other school where some of the kids are doing drugs and getting into things they shouldn't. The real problem is that teachers and parents aren't involve. One of the high school teachers doesn't know what he or she is talking about. The students try their best but even then its not enough and he or she just wont admit he or she is wrong. The middle school is fantastic, however the system may not be the best for high school. The student live with fear instead of determination. If you ask them if they want to be there, only 5% at most will say yes, the others will say idk

Last modified American Indian Public High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.