Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Oakland Charter High School
Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 04, 2016
Thanks to Mr. Ward, Mr. Congrove, Ms. Leyva, Mr. Laveglia and Ms. De for making the school year entertaining and instructive.

Posted May 04, 2016
I am getting a well rounded education and the classes are challenging. The staff members and teachers are nice and helpful.

Posted November 22, 2015
My children are happy and they are learning so much. The AVID class is teaching them computer skills, presentations and work skills. It is hard work but well worth it. They love Mr. Chee's math, Mr. Ward's English, Ms. Goodwin's PE, Ms. Leyva's Spanish and Mr. Becker's leadership. This school is preparing them for college and life. We love it!

Posted June 18, 2015
very boring kids just get forced with no fun and they have no sports and just want children to learn learn and learn they give kids no life

Posted March 03, 2015
This school is a hell hole. All that OCA and OCHS care about is money. Not preforming well? OH, you can go to oakland high school to take your tests so our ratings don't plummet. No only that, who cares about how you kids feel? Not WE! We're not going to spend money on counselors and psychologists. Oh no, not only that, we won't acknowledge the bullying and harassment carried out by staff AND students. We'll pick all your classes for you. All you have to do is be a compliant little sheep, and make us our money. At the end of the day, that is the ONLY thing WE care about. I have this school to thank for ALL my emotional problems. They bullied me into depression, and never once offered help. Don't send your kids here. Public school will get them much further, MY classmates have been accepted into better schools than those in charter. This school will ruin your life. They're greedy and uncaring.

Posted May 24, 2014
It seems that my previous review was taken down for whatever reason, but as a graduate of OCHS, I feel that the very negative years that I (and others) experienced here should not be censured or censored from prospective parents and students. To repeat what I had written before, from my experience, this school was very oppressive and authoritarian in the way it treated its students. The learning atmosphere was one that constantly discouraged self-initiative and creativity in favor of compliance to school rules. There seemed to be very little disregard for anything outside of schoolwork, including student's mental and physical health, and I constantly witnessed harassment and bullying that went disregarded by administration. To those who would eschew that things like a nurse or school psychologist are unnecessary to the school's academics, you do a disservice to the depressed and jaded adolescents that a school like this is likely to foster in the first place. I agree that there are other schools in Oakland, many of them probably a better choice than this one. And for students who are already self-motivated show promise, this school would not be good match.

Posted April 13, 2014
My people need to understand what matters more.... This school was dominated by first generation Mexican families (I am a 2nd gen)over the years and to the majority of the first generation, all matters other than academics matter. For example, parents complain about sports, lunch, and the amount of HW. I never recall parents thanking the leaders for getting their kids into 4 year colleges. Now I will say, that the current leader is not the most put together, but I trust in the leaders (Mr. Lopez is the best school leader in CA)! But other than that, I know my kid will be safer than at other schools, attend demanding classes, and be challenged. Lationos........, no dejen ques sus hijos tengan la ultima palabra en cualquier asunt espcialmente en la educacion! En este pais ustedes tienen que ser padres responsables hasta que sus hijos se vayan de la casa. Si no van a la Universidad, ha que le tiran?! Oakland is a terrible place for HS students and parents and I would rather my child attend a high performing, structured environment than another loosey goosey HS.

Oakland Charter High School 4

Posted March 07, 2014
the last post is ridiculous! I say that if a strident truly wrote that comment that I really doubt, then credit hours to your teachers! Honestly the school odd tough, it's strict and it gets kids to college...... just see where alumni are at. It's a school of choice, and do if you feel oppressed or repressed or depressed, there are many schools in Oakland that will serve you. the world it's all about tests my man, hope you're ready!

Posted February 11, 2014
The teachers here are super biased and judgemental. They hold grudges against students often. They fail to provide enough textbooks for every student so sometimes we are stuck using packets . There is no social development allowed in this school so when we leave for the real world we are unprepared. The only things you learn here are how to take tests. It's a terrible school and it represses student creativity. I don't recommend this school to anyone, even if they like how "controlled" and "disciplined" this school is. It just represses the student and takes away from individuality. We are all like robots and I guess some parents like how strict it is. Honestly, this school has made me bitter and resentful and I don't even get into trouble. The teachers don't understand the students and they don't even make an attempt. Terrible staff, terrible education system, overall just terrible. Also, the review above mine just shows how prepared the school makes you- they don't even teach you the difference between it's and its and too and to. They also don't teach about run on sentences, obviously. Students get harassed all the time here. Don't send your kid to this terrible school

Posted August 23, 2011
OCAHS is a school that if you don't get your act together you will not be able to understand the subjects better you will stay behind . The teachers can be really be hard on you but its for a good cause they want you too understand better .

Oakland Charter High School
345 12th Street, Oakland, CA  94607-4217
Last modified Oakland Charter High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.