Bad
Good

This school had a 90% teacher turnover rate in 2016. The leader of the school is unresponsive to parent and teacher emails/concerns. The school is full of amazing students and parents with great intentions. However, KIPP Bay Area schools continues to accept a leader who yells at teachers, hides student/teachers personal belonging to teach them a lesson, among the countless other illegal practices that I witnessed there. I strongly urge ALL COMMUNITY MEMBERS to this visit the school multiple times, and to ask students, parents, and teachers about their own experiences before enrolling their child here.

PLEASE PLEASE check out this school before sending your child here. KIPP Bridge use have a 10 which is why I sent my child thinking it would be a great middle school experience and it was horrific for us (progressively got worse over the years). Too much yelling, the principal belittles the students and definitely has her list of students she prefers. I can understand having your favorites as we are only human but not to the detriment of other students. The LACK of communication is huge, if you aren't up at the school touching base with the teachers on a regular your child will not get the resources needed which reminds me of an ordinary public school. I think the bar is set high which I think is great but until you master the basics you can't just keep going for the sake of saying you did it. I don't think it's a bad school I think it's a school that has forgot their basic fundamentals and would fall in the same category as an average public school in it's present state. The scores speak volumes for how the school was and is now. Opening a new school should not be their priority until they master this one.

Amount of homework: Agree

If the majority of students can do it, its not to much. Just know coming in that homework every night is a given. And it HAS to be done every night.

The teachers do a great job at teaching but they don't ever pick up the phone and notify parents of anything.The principle is respected by both students and parents but she does not follow through and rest assured that things are handled decent and in order, she yells at the kids and is disrespectful. Parents rely on school reach to notify them of upcoming events but the message is partial and no one answers the school telephone so you cant call to ask questions. The level of communication is poor.

Kipp Bridge is a school united. They truly act as a team and a family. The scholars are challenged and are being prepared for entrance into college. Whether they go or not, they are given the tools that will help them be prepared for that higher education. Every staff member including the principal is hands. Every morning there is a school meeting that helps all get prepared and to make sure everyone is on the same page for the day. We will be going Kipp King for High School.

Teachers are just simply awesome and I believe they are truly invested in the children . My dilema has been for the past school year rather my child receiving a good education from a intercity Public Charter School worth my childs sanity. The yelling and disconnect from the parents is quiet puzzling. Yes, the API scores r on top but at what cost? I ask myself as I stand every morning and listen to the Principle and the VP demoralizing the students. Are the children learning because they truly are absorbed in recieving an education that will allow them to get into the best Charter/Private high schools and the best Universities, or are they simply intimidated and fear the militant style lashings they will recieve if they r not at 100%. It bothers me that parent's are convienced that old time Southern corpral punishment is the only way their children will have a chance at success beyond KIPP Bridge. The children are given home work 7 days a week including holidays even a mule needs a break. Every day the children are greated with 40 min of scolding never positive words. Is it realy about the black children as the Principle claims or about power/control and her API. Soften ur hearts.

Although this school has great intentions for helping to develop and prepare children for college its leadership lacks in parent and potential parent's communication. The principle always appears to be in a hurry and shows very little respect to concerns that parents have. She often talks short and belittling to parent's and staff. I find Ms. Jackson and Ms. Hubbard intimidating. I have been basically spoken to as if I was a child and denied respect as a human-being and a parent. I have left feeling as if perhaps they both talk to parents in a demeaning manner because many parents lack a higher education.I may not have a teaching degree but I am gainfully employed and have no complaints in regards to my ability to provide for my children. I have referred several families to Kipp Bridge due to the fact they have great teaching staff. Due to the way they were treated and spoken to by the Vice Principle, they have declined to send their children to Kipp Bridge. This is not a boot-camp. Learning should be fun, not a punishment.The school's success depends on family and commnunty envolvement not just the leadership. Be more inviting and perhaps you will have more parent involvement.

KIPP is not for all students. The rigerous academics prepares students to succeed but I realized that my child was starting to become a perfectionist and obsessed with "making the grade". It's great to make good grades but I also think that it is equally important to develop social skills and KIPP acknowleges this by having interesting after school programs (such as basketball, chess, dance, robotics, and toastmasters, etc). At times I did feel that the school focused too much on standarized tests but I guess that's the only way schools stay afloat - KIPP is just blunt with it. The administration - the principal is excellent and she rules with an iron fist. Her adminstrative staff is very informative and great communicators. My child respects the teachers and they seem to give quality assignments that are age appropiate and provide social awareness. Teachers make themselves available by phone every evening and teach Saturday school (something I don't agree with because their school day is long enough).

It was important to me to have a competitive school for my son. He excels easily, so he wasn't being challenged elsewhere. Anyone who has high achieving students knows that not being challenged can derail these kids too. The commitment of parents is paramount in maintaining a standard of excellence and I have found in his 2nd year here - that I've had to be substantially more connected to his homework and assisting where appropriate. The faculty and staff are available and responsive - which is a must when it comes to real time kids. My only critique is with the VP - she could use some work on her people skills with students and parents alike. Can't win them all I suppose, that's why this school got a 4 out of 5 from me, instead of full rank.

Love, Love, Love KIPP Bridge...... They are hard working and have great love for the kids. The teachers there are passionate about the kids learning, they work long hours and accept phone calls till 8:30 at night if your child needs help with a problem. The administration states "no excuses." They focus on putting your child on the path to college. I am so happy that we came to KIPP as our daughter came out of her shell and is more involved in activities while holding a 3.80 GPA with a rigorous academic schedule.

Last modified KIPP Bridge Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.