Posted December 13, 2013
We love Edna Brewer! Our daughter is in 6th grade and looks forward to school. Her favorite part are the teachers. They are dedicated, creative and caring (and fun!). The principal and staff are excellent and supportive. The music program is amazing. After-school sports are wonderful. Can't say enough good about this school.

Posted September 19, 2013
This year my son started 6th grade at EB, so far good, he has been going to after school program that he enjoys and i'm exited. His school teachers are great there haven't been any complains in regards to the staff or other student coming from my son. I like the fact that 6th graders or separated from the rest of the older students. They recently will start a minecraft club which my son is super exited about, it also shows me that teachers care about the students interest. They will also soon will start a program with Heads up that is provided through Head royce private school in oakland to help students who are falling behind. Overall i have no complains so far, as long as my son is happy i will be too, and as a parent we know when our children are happy. Great school.

Posted August 23, 2013
This school was amazing, the school have great teachers. I hope parents will send their children to Edna Brewer MIddle School.

Posted August 09, 2013
My school is Edna Brewer Middle School. It is a great school because the all staff and teachers, Principals, counselors care about the students and shows it. The Best OUSD Middle School in Oakland. There are kids from all economic levels, and from all areas of Oakland. There are plenty of non-academic clubs, music and sports for all. The after school program is also great! I like everything about Edna Brewer and there isn't anything that i can see that needs to be changed. They just need to keep great teachers and more information given to parents about homework assignments, since there are no Math and Science, and English books given out, because od Common Core.

Edna Brewer Middle School 3

Posted June 04, 2013
Excellent music program, solid math, English, history and science. Happy with the teachers. Despite that, we will be pulling our sixth grader out because he is being regularly harassed at school. I have not brought it to the attention of the administration, because I don't think they can fix it.

Posted April 06, 2013
Edna Brewer was already above average when I joined in 2006 and it has improved every year since. The student body, quality of work, and test scores attest to my experience. It is the epitome of America, diverse and hard-working. Students from the hills to the flats, east to west Oakland, and first generation to the next generation all attend Edna Brewer. Edna Brewer does deal with the staff turnover that plagues urban schools and will continue to plague urban schools until we change how we fund public education, structure the school day, and legitimize the teaching profession. But the fact that Edna Brewer has continued to improve in spite of turnover attests to its strong culture of success.

Edna Brewer Middle School 3

Posted June 11, 2011
My 6 grader had an English teacher leave in the middle of the year. From what I heard, at least 2 more teachers left their classes hanging in the dust for long term subs to pick up the pieces. EB did not meet expectations. Oakland schools lose teachers all the time, but what kind of school loses so many in one year?

Posted March 24, 2011
My son came from a distinguished school in the Elk Grove Unified School District where he earned a 0.0gpa after his first quarter. After having moved him to Edna Brewer I am pleased to say that he is delighted to be there and earning a 3.0 gpa after a few months. Something must be right... :)

Posted February 02, 2011
EB is a truly wonderful middle school with an excellent music department, solid academics, good physical education program and exceptional parent community/student body. For the most part, parents and students will find this school to be a great choice, and the test scores attest the solid learning environment. That said, anyone who has raised a tween to teen knows that this age will present periodic challenges. Neither you nor your child will escape adolescence at ANY school, sigh. However, be assured that you and your child will have a strong community of peers, families and teachers to help buffer the ups and downs. I have one child happily moving through teenhood and the other moving down the pike. EB is a true neighborhood gem

Posted October 20, 2010
My son is in his first year at Brewer. He has never been happier. He says it himself. The communication between teachers and parents is very strong. They are truly committed to excellence for every student. It is amazing to see my son having the support at school to become a responsible citizen.

Edna Brewer Middle School
3748 13th Avenue, Oakland, CA  94610
Last modified Edna Brewer Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Edna Brewer Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 62 reviews.