Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted October 09, 2015
The teachers are so in tune and devoted. The kids really respect and respond to them.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted October 09, 2015
But I disagree with homework in general. I think as far as most middle schools go, it's probably average. No more than a 2-3 hours a week

Posted October 09, 2015
Our son started sixth grade at Edna Brewer this year. He was at a very popular "hills school" for k-5th grade, and I was prepared for a "reality check" when he began at Brewer. I figured it would be chaotic, that the classes might be boring and not challenge him and that the kids might be rougher than we were used to. I couldn't have been more wrong! The school has a great energy, with AMAZING, dedicated teachers and staff, and wonderful children. Our son has said over and over again how nice the kids are and is clearly enamored with his teachers. I could go on and on, but go tour the school and see for yourself. We love it!

Posted October 09, 2014
My daughter is a 7th grader at Brewer and has been having a great experience so far. 6th grade was amazing- the teachers were so skilled and motivated. They really like the kids and it shows. The 6th grade wing offers a nice transition to middle school. For the most part, 6th graders are removed from the rest of campus so it feels like a small school within a large school. The music program is phenomenal with dedicated strings and band conductors. It's a serious program with lots of opportunities for after-school music (Jazz Band & OUSD Muse), performances, an annual retreat at Cazadero and competitions. My daughter also participated in the theater program where the students worked with Cal Shakes to perform 12th Night. This semester the students are working with Word for Word to adapt a novel into a play. In spring there will be another Shakespeare opportunity. There are many student-directed lunch activities like book clubs, sports clubs, etc. My serious student has been challenged and happy at Brewer. She's made lots of friends from many schools and learning lots. Overall Brewer is an excellent school!

Posted October 08, 2014
My son is in his 3rd year at Edna Brewer and is in the music program. There are bands and orchestras for each grade, a 6th grade Orff music class as well as jazz band. The music teachers are outstanding. He is taking the "compression math" course (8th grade math and 1st year algebra) so he can take high school geometry as a freshman. The math teacher for this course is excellent. Other offerings include visual arts, drama, Spanish, PE, a library, peer tutoring, an autism program, Special Ed, a computer lab, blended learning, an afterschool program, etc. There is a very active PTA and they are on Facebook as "Edna Brewer Parents". Edna Brewer is large, but the kids have "families", or smaller groups, with whom they have their core classes. Kids have the same core class teachers for 7th and 8th grade. There are kids from all different backgrounds and it is very gratifying to see the friendships they forge - as well as to see the kids work out their problems via the restorative justice program. Private school is an option for us. I attended private schools, but my son is getting a better education than I did. (I'm a former college professor and Software Developer.)

Posted October 08, 2014
We looked at a variety of private and public schools in Oakland for our daughter and decided on Edna Brewer because of the innovative programs and drive of the administration and staff. We have been blown away by the community, the teachers, and the opportunities for our daughter. In addition to good classes (with lots of blended learning) she has worked with CalShakes and performed a Shakespeare play (and understood its complexities) and she has had the opportunity to audition and perform in the acclaimed jazz band. She has a sense of civic pride and a dedication to equality that I think Edna Brewer has fostered. And I believe she is getting a good, solid education. We couldn't be happier!

Posted October 08, 2014
Edna Brewer is a GEM in Oakland. We have been thrilled with the quality and dedication of the teachers, the robust and acclaimed music program and the strong emphasis on social emotional learning. Brewer is on the cutting age of integrating technology into the classroom through blended learning, and the school has one google chrome book for every 2 students. The school has a no tolerance policy for bullying and fights are handled expeditiously. All of these reasons have allowed it to decrease its chronic absence rate to the lowest of all middle schools in OUSD. Brewer has the most diverse student body in the district and it is a warm and inviting place for all.

Posted December 13, 2013
We love Edna Brewer! Our daughter is in 6th grade and looks forward to school. Her favorite part are the teachers. They are dedicated, creative and caring (and fun!). The principal and staff are excellent and supportive. The music program is amazing. After-school sports are wonderful. Can't say enough good about this school.

Posted September 19, 2013
This year my son started 6th grade at EB, so far good, he has been going to after school program that he enjoys and i'm exited. His school teachers are great there haven't been any complains in regards to the staff or other student coming from my son. I like the fact that 6th graders or separated from the rest of the older students. They recently will start a minecraft club which my son is super exited about, it also shows me that teachers care about the students interest. They will also soon will start a program with Heads up that is provided through Head royce private school in oakland to help students who are falling behind. Overall i have no complains so far, as long as my son is happy i will be too, and as a parent we know when our children are happy. Great school.

Posted August 23, 2013
This school was amazing, the school have great teachers. I hope parents will send their children to Edna Brewer MIddle School.

3748 13th Avenue, Oakland, CA  94610-2820
Last modified Edna Brewer Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.