Posted August 22, 2013
Cleveland is amazing. The Eco-literacy program, the school garden and the fact that they teach (by example) the children to embrace diversity just a few of the things that make this school so amazing.

Cleveland Elementary School 4

Posted June 13, 2013
Well it is then end of the 2012-2013 school year and my daughter graduates 1st grade today. She spent kindergarten and 1st grade at Cleveland, and we plan to be there until she moves up to middle school. There is only one problem, and it does upset me regularly. Some of the people who work in the office really don't seem to care. At all. The won't even make the effort to apologize if they mess something up. They DO NOT want to talk to ANYONE. If you get through a conversation with them without getting snotty attitude or rude facial expressions you are incredibly lucky. Also, this school is on a steep hill. If you are coming from the bottom you made need to use the back gate, but sometimes they just forget to unlock. I have a severe back injury and they do not care at all even after telling them that I cannot walk up the steepest hill to get to the "front" of the school. Very upsetting, and I really hope they replace some of those people soon, because they are awful, mean, uncaring people.

Posted October 24, 2012
My son also started kindergarten at Cleveland this fall and loves it! I have been very impressed with the involvement and dedication of the parents and PTA who are sensitive to the needs of all students. The school is very diverse and inclusive. Cleveland offers a unique Eco-Literacy program with a beautiful garden. My son is really picking up speed with his reading and loves his teacher and the after school program Bear Cub that is on-campus. There's a school music program and after school activities such as soccer and drumming. The teachers are hard working, very experienced and dedicated. I really can't say enough about how amazing this school is!

Posted October 23, 2012
My son started Kindergarten at Cleveland this fall. He really loves his teacher and his new friends....and he's learning a ton. The aftercare at Bear Cub City is great, too. I've been really impressed by the parent community....lots of smart, caring adults who are really focused on ensuring the highest-quality education for their kids.

Posted May 14, 2012
I have three children at Cleveland - two kinder and one in 1st grade - and we love it! It's a true gem of a public school with great teachers and staff and a very involved group of parent volunteers. The state curriculum is enhanced with art, music, ecoliteracy and after school learning options that include soccer, languages, guitar lessons, creative writing and others. They also provide excellent after school care options. Perhaps some of the best events at the school are a series of community events that bring the school together for fun celebrations of the very diverse community - Spaghetti night, movie nights, Cinco De Mayo celebration, Lunar New Year celebration, Cultural Heritage night, Fall and End of the Year Festivals. My favorite thing about this school is that it is a place that truly celebrates diversity. Nothing can compare to the social learning that comes from experiencing other cultures as a part of everyday life. The campus is bright and lively with flowers, trees, veggie gardens, wonderful play structures and views. The two recently refurbished libraries promote a love of reading in a fun environment. On top of all these pluses, their test scores are excellent.

Posted December 11, 2011
My son has been in Kindergarten and loves it!! He is learning a lot and suppose to be reading by the end of the year... The teachers are consistent and lovely, the principal is really engaged with the parents and children. We couldn't be more happy about this fantastic little school!

Posted September 09, 2011
I love Cleveland!! Everyone including parents and staff are very friendly. My son also went to the after school program called Bear Cub City which has an awesome group of staff. My son always begs me to stay longer. I enjoy their annual all natural soup day where the students pick the vegetables they've grown and make soup to share with each other. Both new and old principle has been very good to me and my son. The open campus is a bonus in OUSD.

Posted February 14, 2010

Cleveland Elementary School 0

Posted September 25, 2009
The school is incredibly inclusive of all families - even translates documents and meetings into the dominant languages spoken besides English - yet achieves high scores and academic success more typical of a homogeneous environment. Go Cleveland!

Cleveland Elementary School 0

Posted September 21, 2009
After surviving OUSD's total mess of an enrollment process, we were assigned to Cleveland. With a thick coat of bitterness, we enrolled in what's turned out to be a hidden gem of a school. With about 150 kids, Cleveland is small compared to other nearby schools, Crocker, Lakeview and Glenview. The smaller class sizes (17-20) were an unexpected bonus and pleasure for our easily distracted child. The Principal, Ms. Settles, is dynamic, friendly and accessible. She not only knows her school and the educational field, but she makes it a point to learn every child's name- and remembers them all! Cleveland also has great academics and an awesome eco-literacy curriculum that supplements the science program from K-5. Kids learn about growing food in an outdoor classroom designed by an parent/environmental architect, with gardens that have 8-ft tall sunflowers and delicious strawberries. Love what we see so far!

Cleveland Elementary School
745 Cleveland Street, Oakland, CA  94606
Last modified Cleveland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cleveland Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top