Posted April 29, 2014
My son is in his second year at Emerson and is completely thriving. I can't say enough about the wonderful TK and kinder teachers. They are an amazing group of young women who work so hard for their students and really go the extra mile. I have been pleased to see the dramatic growth in parent engagement and believe that this, combined with a principle Hatzkys leadership, is setting the stage for higher expectations on all sides and a growing demand for excellence from all. We're thrilled to be a part of the process to turn Emerson into a school that supports, and delivers success for all of its diverse children.

Emerson Elementary School 4

Posted April 07, 2014
My child attends Emerson Elementary as a Kindergartener, and he is thriving! HE has developed a love of reading and books and is excelling in Math. We love his teacher Ms. Aiello and Principal Hatzke, and our family feels that our input is valued and welcome. We have enjoyed working with other members of the Emerson community and PTO, and look forward to engaging with more families.

Posted January 24, 2014
My daughter is learning and thriving in kindergarten at Emerson. Ms. Aiello is a great teacher who is always available for a quick conversation at pick up to discuss what's going on. For example, at the beginning of the year my daughter got very stressed out by line-up, and was bringing up worries about line-up at bed time. When we came to Ms. Aiello, she came up with a strategy that immediately ended my daughter's anxiety. I'm so impressed by what I see in all the kindergarten classrooms: calm, professional, and caring teachers who make learning exciting. My daughter's favorite subject is writer's workshop, and she's writing short stories about her life at school and at home. My daughter is making great friends, and the kindergarten and TK teachers are very focused on fostering a welcoming and inclusive school environment. The parent involvement is growing by leaps and bounds, with a lot of parent led projects -- school beautification, math enrichment, community building, and more. Also, my daughter loves the weekly choral music class with Ms. Grissell. We're so happy to be at our neighborhood school.

Posted December 03, 2013
Hello, We have a kindergartner in Ms Aiello's class and we couldn't be happier. He was very apprehensive about leaving his pre-school to come to Emerson, but now all he talks about is how much he loves school,his teacher and Mrs. Verna's aftercare program. We chose Emerson because we were impressed with the diversity and nurturing community it offers.The Principals vision for the school is progressive, the teaching staff is committed and the PTO is awesome. That's a perfect combination for educational growth and success.

Posted October 28, 2013
Emerson has great teachers and excellent community involvement. Staff are open to ideas and input from parents and the community.

Posted October 22, 2013
To me Emerson is a wonderful school. The children there are a delight to be around and the staff at Emerson go above and beyond the call of duty to make Emerson special. Yes Emerson still need work, but what school dosent. This is my sons second year there and he will be there for the next 3 years.

Posted October 22, 2013
We have three children who've attended EMERSON ELEMENTARY since 2011 to present :) Our eldest has been flourishing in the inclusion (autism) program and our twins were enrolled in last year's TK program. As a parent IAM grateful for the academic-literacy program Emerson participates and MORE SO appreciative of the inclusion program :) We <3 Ms Dunn and her team ! Our FAMILY has always felt like FAMILY @ EMERSON :) The office staff are professional and polite , especially Ms K and Linda who volunteer :) THIS school IS an awesome SCHOOL... We personally recommended Emerson to our family members and friends, they too AGREED and expressed gratitude to us for the referral... all our children are HAPPY and thriving socially & academically. Sincerely, <3 proud parents.

Emerson Elementary School 3

Posted August 15, 2013
I made the decision to enroll my son in the TK program at Emerson Elementary--site unseen--which is a 20-minute commute for our family. As it was a pilot program, there wasn't a lot of information going in and all the parents were nervous and didn't really know what to expect. I can tell you that we were all pleasantly surprised. What we got was an amazing teacher (Danielle Erwin) who is passionate about educating young minds. Ms. Erwin does a good job blending play and instruction. I have absolutely no regrets about enrolling my son in TK and the Emerson community is great. All of the parents are incredibly passionate, and contribute in their own ways! Emerson TK Parent Alumni

Posted August 06, 2013
My child has attended this school for the last three years and we are very happy there. My son is super bright and has thrived with support from great teachers and friends. Our family has had an overall wonderful experience. Emerson is a vibrant and dynamic place. Principal Haztke has a solid vision for a holistic approach to education. She has been a champion for the kids at Emerson and the school has improved in many ways under her leadership (including test scores). The parent group is making a huge impact at the school by organizing tons of fun community events for families and kids, and fundraising to support many new programs. We have music and art instruction, lots of field trips, gardening and nutrition support, poetry, and community service. The kids are thriving, the teachers are getting the support they need, and there is excellent targeted intervention and support for students who need it. The support staff from office to after school is fantastic. The campus is a giant lovely place for kids not only to learn but engage with and enjoy their days at school. Emerson may be the best kept secret in Oakland! Shhhhh.

Posted July 30, 2013
Can't recommend them highly enough. Ms. Erwin was my daughter's teacher. Between her and principal Hatzke, my daughter thrived as a transitional kindergartener there. We are sad to leave Emerson so my children can attend the same school in the fall. It was an eye opening experience. And our neighborhood school will in the hills will no doubt benefit from my experience here.

Contact Information

4803 Lawton Avenue
Oakland, CA 94609

School website

Emerson Elementary School
4803 Lawton Avenue, Oakland, CA  94609
Last modified Emerson Elementary School is a public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Emerson Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews.