Bad
Good

Posted January 08, 2016
My son is currently in kindergarten at Emerson. I have been consistently impressed with both kindergarten teachers. Ms. Campos approaches the classroom with a sense of calm control. Within weeks my son was bringing home school play having me do writer's workshop and make up math problems for him to do! Recently another parent said to me, "Emerson kids love science!" It's true! Friday mornings my son gets really excited about going to science with Ms. Walsh, who has a great understanding of how to relate to kids and get them interested in science. Emerson still has a long way to go in terms of closing the achievement gap, but Principal Palin is committed to working with ALL constituencies and the PTO is working hard to both build community and raise money for some of the extra programming not funded by OUSD (community garden, choral music, ceramics). My strongest hope for Emerson is to grow into a school that represents the diversity that is Oakland and provides opportunities for all of Oakland's children.

Emerson Elementary School 2

Posted May 28, 2015
I'm not sure how my school rated 4 stars in the past, but it is far from it now. Our 2nd grade student's teacher quit abruptly last year. LAST YEAR! And Emerson failed to replace her. Instead to cover themselves, they blame the children, the parents, the economy, the school district. All of these tactics do nothing harm out child's self esteem & divert attention from the real problem. Emerson doesn't think that our child is worth a 2nd grade education. If Oakland has a very high drop out rate, I know where it begins. It starts with Elementary schools that think it's o.k. to shuffle my child from class to class without a permanent teacher. At one point I'd even settle for a sub, but we aren't even worth that. Instead my 2nd grader can expect to go to a kintergarten class, a 3rd grade class, anything but a full-time stable teacher. The damage done to my child has been done. If you send my child to babysit a kintergarten class, then at least pay us the minimum wage for the child labor!!! Or at least hold back your own salary until you do your job. I'm angry because this is unethical, immoral, and neglectful. Many of us parents come here to offer support, but you don't hear us. Don't bring your kid here unless you want them to become a statistic!

Posted April 29, 2014
My son is in his second year at Emerson and is completely thriving. I can't say enough about the wonderful TK and kinder teachers. They are an amazing group of young women who work so hard for their students and really go the extra mile. I have been pleased to see the dramatic growth in parent engagement and believe that this, combined with a principle Hatzkys leadership, is setting the stage for higher expectations on all sides and a growing demand for excellence from all. We're thrilled to be a part of the process to turn Emerson into a school that supports, and delivers success for all of its diverse children.

Emerson Elementary School 4

Posted April 07, 2014
My child attends Emerson Elementary as a Kindergartener, and he is thriving! HE has developed a love of reading and books and is excelling in Math. We love his teacher Ms. Aiello and Principal Hatzke, and our family feels that our input is valued and welcome. We have enjoyed working with other members of the Emerson community and PTO, and look forward to engaging with more families.

Posted January 24, 2014
My daughter is learning and thriving in kindergarten at Emerson. Ms. Aiello is a great teacher who is always available for a quick conversation at pick up to discuss what's going on. For example, at the beginning of the year my daughter got very stressed out by line-up, and was bringing up worries about line-up at bed time. When we came to Ms. Aiello, she came up with a strategy that immediately ended my daughter's anxiety. I'm so impressed by what I see in all the kindergarten classrooms: calm, professional, and caring teachers who make learning exciting. My daughter's favorite subject is writer's workshop, and she's writing short stories about her life at school and at home. My daughter is making great friends, and the kindergarten and TK teachers are very focused on fostering a welcoming and inclusive school environment. The parent involvement is growing by leaps and bounds, with a lot of parent led projects -- school beautification, math enrichment, community building, and more. Also, my daughter loves the weekly choral music class with Ms. Grissell. We're so happy to be at our neighborhood school.

Posted December 03, 2013
Hello, We have a kindergartner in Ms Aiello's class and we couldn't be happier. He was very apprehensive about leaving his pre-school to come to Emerson, but now all he talks about is how much he loves school,his teacher and Mrs. Verna's aftercare program. We chose Emerson because we were impressed with the diversity and nurturing community it offers.The Principals vision for the school is progressive, the teaching staff is committed and the PTO is awesome. That's a perfect combination for educational growth and success.

Posted October 28, 2013
Emerson has great teachers and excellent community involvement. Staff are open to ideas and input from parents and the community.

Posted October 22, 2013
To me Emerson is a wonderful school. The children there are a delight to be around and the staff at Emerson go above and beyond the call of duty to make Emerson special. Yes Emerson still need work, but what school dosent. This is my sons second year there and he will be there for the next 3 years.

Posted October 22, 2013
We have three children who've attended EMERSON ELEMENTARY since 2011 to present :) Our eldest has been flourishing in the inclusion (autism) program and our twins were enrolled in last year's TK program. As a parent IAM grateful for the academic-literacy program Emerson participates and MORE SO appreciative of the inclusion program :) We <3 Ms Dunn and her team ! Our FAMILY has always felt like FAMILY @ EMERSON :) The office staff are professional and polite , especially Ms K and Linda who volunteer :) THIS school IS an awesome SCHOOL... We personally recommended Emerson to our family members and friends, they too AGREED and expressed gratitude to us for the referral... all our children are HAPPY and thriving socially & academically. Sincerely, <3 proud parents.

Emerson Elementary School 3

Posted August 15, 2013
I made the decision to enroll my son in the TK program at Emerson Elementary--site unseen--which is a 20-minute commute for our family. As it was a pilot program, there wasn't a lot of information going in and all the parents were nervous and didn't really know what to expect. I can tell you that we were all pleasantly surprised. What we got was an amazing teacher (Danielle Erwin) who is passionate about educating young minds. Ms. Erwin does a good job blending play and instruction. I have absolutely no regrets about enrolling my son in TK and the Emerson community is great. All of the parents are incredibly passionate, and contribute in their own ways! Emerson TK Parent Alumni

Emerson Elementary School
4803 Lawton Avenue, Oakland, CA  94609-2208
Last modified Emerson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.