Oakland, CA

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted July 26, 2015
I think it is the principal who holds kids back so that all students learn the same. It matters to him that all African-American, Mexican and Central American and Asian students learn the same amount even if some kids don't work hard. So the less some kids work, the less work other kids are given. I think teachers would let students learn more if they could. My daughter's teacher gave her websites and told her where she could find more online.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted July 26, 2015
Students who finish their work in class don't get a chance to work ahead. It is not even working ahead because they don't work at grade level. Students could learn at grade level if they were challenged.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted July 26, 2015
I think grit is like persistence. She got to practice it a lot because she developed strategies like wearing ear plugs so she would not be distracted. She also found a way to apply to a private school. We have to pay $1,000 a year for middle school and she gets tutoring included so she can catch up to her classmates. The persistence to keep learning after school is what she learned at Garfield.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted July 26, 2015
Respect is when everyone gets to learn if they work hard. In that way my daughter was disrespected.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted July 26, 2015
I think the school wants all students to feel equal even if the students disrupt classes. My daughter was expected to feel about about someone's home life rather than be angry when a student was disruptive. The principal asked her to consider any hardships the student might have. When she asked if he knew how hard it was to learn when students were disruptive the principal got mad at the teacher for not "building trust and respect." In our school it is never the bad student that is the problem, it is the teacher, the community and the students who do not feel bad for the student but feel bad for wanting to learn more than other students.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted July 26, 2015
Honesty would say that you are achieving grade level because you can do the work of any other student in the United States for the same thing at the same grade. This school makes students think they are achieving something they are not. That does not seem honest or fair to me.

Garfield Elementary School 1

Posted July 26, 2015
My daughter got a scholarship to a middle school and we found that she was working at about the third or fourth grade level even though Garfield said she was gifted and a top student. She even got awards.

Garfield Elementary School 4

Posted February 06, 2015
They have at,stmath,great people teacher coach Sergio and science teacher Amanda turtun I think that this school is great and ressese should be longer

Garfield Elementary School 5

Posted August 01, 2013
My daughter went to a private school for Preschool but for Kindergarden I wanted to enroll her at Garfield since I myself attended this school and graduated from it. I had fond memories at this school with amazing teachers and was hoping she would have the same experience. To our satifaction, She had wonderful teachers in both Kinder (Ms. Quach) and 1st grade (Mr. EA) both excellent teachers who really love what they do and care about their students. Ms. Quach sends extra work home for the breaks and summer recess so the kids can prepare for 1st grade and continue their learning. Mr. EA opens their eyes to college and what it truely means to be a successful scholar. They even had a fied trip to UC Berkeley. Now heading to 2nd grade this Fall 2013 she is a top scholar and I praise her for a job well done but the teachers that helped her along the way deserve much praise aswell thus I am writing this review.

Garfield Elementary School 4

Posted October 20, 2011
I had both of kids attend Garfield from K-5th grade and with it's ups & down I think this school did it's job and preparing them for Middle school. I appreciate the wonderfull teachers they managed to keep and know thay they are there for the interest of the kids and not get caught up with the distric mayham. Thank Ms. Gobielle, Mr. Jakubek and Ms.Winkelstein for your hard work!

1640 22nd Avenue, Oakland, CA  94606
Last modified Garfield Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Garfield Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top