Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

I think it is the principal who holds kids back so that all students learn the same. It matters to him that all African-American, Mexican and Central American and Asian students learn the same amount even if some kids don't work hard. So the less some kids work, the less work other kids are given. I think teachers would let students learn more if they could. My daughter's teacher gave her websites and told her where she could find more online.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Students who finish their work in class don't get a chance to work ahead. It is not even working ahead because they don't work at grade level. Students could learn at grade level if they were challenged.

Develops character: Disagree

Honesty would say that you are achieving grade level because you can do the work of any other student in the United States for the same thing at the same grade. This school makes students think they are achieving something they are not. That does not seem honest or fair to me.

My daughter got a scholarship to a middle school and we found that she was working at about the third or fourth grade level even though Garfield said she was gifted and a top student. She even got awards.

They have at,stmath,great people teacher coach Sergio and science teacher Amanda turtun I think that this school is great and ressese should be longer

My daughter went to a private school for Preschool but for Kindergarden I wanted to enroll her at Garfield since I myself attended this school and graduated from it. I had fond memories at this school with amazing teachers and was hoping she would have the same experience. To our satifaction, She had wonderful teachers in both Kinder (Ms. Quach) and 1st grade (Mr. EA) both excellent teachers who really love what they do and care about their students. Ms. Quach sends extra work home for the breaks and summer recess so the kids can prepare for 1st grade and continue their learning. Mr. EA opens their eyes to college and what it truely means to be a successful scholar. They even had a fied trip to UC Berkeley. Now heading to 2nd grade this Fall 2013 she is a top scholar and I praise her for a job well done but the teachers that helped her along the way deserve much praise aswell thus I am writing this review.

I had both of kids attend Garfield from K-5th grade and with it's ups & down I think this school did it's job and preparing them for Middle school. I appreciate the wonderfull teachers they managed to keep and know thay they are there for the interest of the kids and not get caught up with the distric mayham. Thank Ms. Gobielle, Mr. Jakubek and Ms.Winkelstein for your hard work!

One of my kids started at this school last year . We were apprehensive at first but found we had no grounds for concern. Against all odds this school strives for success. They cater for several non English speaking communities and we were pleasantly surprised that her teacher recognised her capabilities and gently pushed and urged her to use her mind to it's full potential. We hope this next year is going to be as positive. I must also mention the after school program is run with care and dedication. From our experience it deserves a thumbs up and as I said it's against all odds.

Last modified Garfield Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.