Posted June 11, 2014
As a former parent of children who have gone to Grass Valley, I feel it still is a good school with great teachers. I would put Ms. Rockett and Ms. Wong up against any elementary teachers as some of the best in the district. Test scores are important, but teachers are not always to blame. Parenting plays a big role in how your young scholar will achieve success in the classroom test scores etc... Overall I feel Grass Valley is still one of the best Elementary schools around! :)

Grass Valley Elementary School 1

Posted May 09, 2014
I am not a parent nor teacher here at Grass Valley. But I am a resident of the neighborhood. I will tell you, that some parents of Grass Valley are part of the problem why the school performs very poorly. What good parent would drive wreckless on the windy road leading to the school, play chicken with motorists, and think that's ok? And to think that GV would have a fighting chance at impressing incoming good kids with such low scores and parents of low caliber? If GV is to have any chance, the parents there need some common sense and be a good role model for their kids so that their kids too can thrive.

Posted October 21, 2013
Great community. Close net parent, teacher and students. Everybody knows each other. Principal is on the frontline. She is visible and knows her students by first name basics. We are very short staff do to budget cuts and resources. The principle continue to strive for excellence in academic, music, P.E, computers,library and safety. She supervise during recess and lunch for all students. She supports the kids and parents. Last year I had some concerns about my son teacher and his I.E.P annual meeting. She listen, made some suggestions and said she will come to the meeting. She showed up and onetime. I appreciate Mrs. Brandie Stewart (principal) and her staff and Grass Valley Elemantary Oakland. Rashida Shelby (parent)

Posted January 07, 2013
I went to this school and I loved it.man was it good they were in to sports and I loved it

Posted November 29, 2012
Grass Valley is hidden gem that rivals any good private school. I'm a licensed social worker, parent of two Grass Valley graduates, and currently working as a substitute prior to entering a doctoral program in education. The Pros: Superlative leadership, a dedicated professional staff, an encouraging environment, and a motivated community. The Cons: I'd paid good money for private schools before finding this out.

Posted November 28, 2012
I am a father of a six year old first grader at Grass Valley Elementary School. Her teacher keeps me updated with everything that goes on which is amazing because I am busy and a single parent. My daughter's teacher teaches the students, reading, math, science, and how to be responsible. The school participates in various activities such as fundraisers, family night, and other activities to get a parent to parent as well as a parent to faculty relationship established which I think is wonderful. I am very pleased with this school. It also is in a nice neighborhood.

Posted November 14, 2012
I have two children enrolled at Grass Valley Elementary. I think the school has a wonderful principal and teaching staff. The children are happy and have memorable experiences. The PTA creates a lot of events for parents and students. And the Principal, Ms. Stewart, keeps the children encouraged and challenged to do their best. Great school and great location (deer appear daily). The remodeled campus is also an added benefit.

Posted November 14, 2012
I love our school! The principal, teachers, and all staff that I have met are kind, helpful and professional. The teachers that I've spoken to are veteran teachers, most of who are dedicated to the Oakland. My daughter went to an expensive private preschool, and she has made more progress in the last two months of school than she did all last year. Not only that, but she actually likes school now! The teachers participated in a Whole Brain Teaching teaching training over the summer and are successfully implementing the strategies. I've talked with many of my friends who have gone the private school route as well as driving to better rated schools, and in listening to their accounts (both of school and classroom environment) I am grateful that I chose to bring my daughter here. As a social worker and childhood specialist I understand that test scores do not accurately reflect the success of a classroom or school. Nor do they truly show that a child has learned, or is learning to, problem solve and think critically, as opposed to regurgitate information. I believe Grass Valley is the real deal. They are concerned about our children's learning, not just their image.

Posted December 26, 2011
I went to grass valley for the fifth, and sixth <back when there was 6th> grades. 85-87 "wow I'm old" any ways made great friends, matter of fact I believe the Mrs Jackson so many speak of fondly was a teacher when I was a student there. < she is a great person> miss them moved before the start of Jr high. "Navy"

Posted August 25, 2011
I am a very proud parent for a son who attended Grass Valley Elementary for 6 years, Kindergarten through 5th Grade under the leadership of Mrs. Jackson who is now retired and we wish the best of luck to you, Mrs. Jackson. We are very proud of our son success at Grass Valley. He is an academically driven young student who loves learning. He is self motivated and driven to succeed. Our son had a perfect attendance through out his time at Grass Valley since the environment was very nurturing with some great teachers. Currently, we now have a 2nd son who will also be entering Kindergarten, and we are again very excited. Ou new Principal, Ms. Henderson, who has already done such an amazing job with the school's appearance. She has transformed the curb appeal appearance of the school already. She is a young woman who is very motivated and wants to work with both the teachers and parents to raise the bar for academic success for all Grass Valley students. We are very blessed to have such a leader for our community.

Grass Valley Elementary School
4720 Dunkirk Avenue, Oakland, CA  94605
Last modified Grass Valley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grass Valley Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top