Posted April 29, 2014
As any school, Hoover does need improvement but overall it is a good school despite the neighborhood. My child attends this school and I am satisfied the teachers and the support staff. Hoover has made significant progress in the years that my son has been there. I know that there is more to be made and I know it will be for the better. Totally recommend this school.

Posted April 10, 2014
As a former student from kinder through fifth grade I recommend this school and it now has tk (transitional kinder garden) or pre school this school has great supporting teachers and staff and the principal has done an exceptional job on the school it has lots of extra curricular activities like gardening pe cooking music compute time a huge library etc. This school is amazing when I went there my reading scores where off the charts so where other students in my class the school has great multicultural values and has multiple celebrations that is a great way to keep your child active the test scores are terrific they have great after school car until six they have after school fundraisers that your child can work in so if your stuck on a school for your child I recommend hoover elementary and also you can arrange to Harriet Tubman ( an after school program) to pick your child up after school and if you have a pretty schooler you can send them there

Hoover Elementary School 3

Posted July 20, 2011
My only child is a student at Hoover and while i feel there are things that need improvement.... I feel that Hoover has been a great place for my son! The principal is young and totally approachable, I feel like she is working hard to bring more to the children with what limited resources OUSD is providing all schools! My son has had great teachers and the supplementa staff is great as well. As a parent i greatly appreciate all the hard work and time given to the children by all the staff who see them more hours out of the day than their families! Like any relationship a school relationships take communication and work! Keep up the good work and open lines of communication for the betterment of all our children!

Hoover Elementary School 1

Posted March 05, 2010
I thought it was getting better but this school needs a lot of improvement.

Hoover Elementary School 0

Posted April 29, 2009
This school is a great example of how Oakland Unified is failing students in low income areas. The principal is unsupportive, and has all but eliminated every extra curricular activity from the school day. She has also virtually eliminated all school support services, which are crucial to many children at this school. In the quest to improve test scores, the children are suffering and noone is doing anything about it. Not to mention that the test scores are not improving. As a teacher here, the environment is negative and blame is completely put on the teachers, with little or no acknowledgement of outside circumstances.

Hoover Elementary School 1

Posted September 08, 2008

Posted June 18, 2008
I think this is a great school. the staff is amazing,and some times both parents have to work and cant always be there....

Hoover Elementary School 2

Posted March 03, 2006
Food services needs improving. Need someone to educate parents on how meals are determined. This is a low-income school, however I feel there needs more thorough and thoughtful planning in what takes place in this process. Most parents would welcome the process to be educated more about this process.

Hoover Elementary School 3

Posted November 01, 2005

Hoover Elementary School 2

Posted April 21, 2005
Parent involvement is extremely low and does not appear to be encouraged. Extracurricular activities are limited. However, there are some exceptional teachers who provide high quality education in their classrooms.

Hoover Elementary School
890 Brockhurst Street, Oakland, CA  94608
Last modified Hoover Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hoover Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews.