Bad
Good

My daughter has been at Laurel since Kindergarten. She is excelling in many areas, reading, writing, math (is okay she would rather read and write), and socially. I love this school so much! Her previous school was private and she spent two years there. She cried and was bullied the last year. I couldn't wait to move her out and I moved to the Laurel because of the school. She has made friends and myself as a single mother, I feel such an amazing sense of community and support! I'm super grateful for the teachers and other parents at Laurel Elementry! Thank you all for doing a great job!

The faculty are very kind and supportive, the students seem to love going to school and the academics are challenging and engaging. The playground has a lot to offer and the library gets very new books frequently. So far we are loving the school.

My baby girl has been going to laurel for four years now first she was going to the CDC and now she is going to the second grade this year she can't wait I love this school they have done a great job with my babe she is reading above average and she is doing wonderful in her math can't wait to see what this year will bring....

My son is in 4th grade and has attended Laurel since Kindergarten. I have worked at OUSD since 1994 in the Child Development Centers and I have a Masters in Education. Overall Laurel teachers are good. The office staff can be hard and the principal impossible. There is a climate which is not supportive, judgemental, and generates a feeling of mistrust. Once a teacher who was unhappy when I complained as I was the garden volunteer teacher that she left me alone with her class without an explanation, later that year she removed my potluck dish off the parent table at an event. The principal refused to get involved, now after she has given me many looks of hate the principal refuses to reassure me that my son will not have her as a teacher next year. He tell me to wait till the end of the year. I applied to a charter school for my son in case I have to take him out of Laurel because the principal won't deal with my concern. He likes his friends and want to finish 5th grade there. I also wish Laurel was more welcoming of people with differences, but I find the school too narrow minded and felt made fun of at times.

Laurel has a diverse community, strong PTA and teachers that care. The school continues to strive to meet academic goals for 'ALL' students. Our kids enjoy art and music, pajama night, family night, game night all of which bring us together as a community. Areas that need improving....teacher training to work with studen's with LD's.

I'm surprised by the recent positive reviews. Although some teachers are fantastic, test scores are going down dramatically and consistently, and class size has increased significantly over the past two years. I'm basically home-schooling my children after school lets out every day. The recent downturn of this school is a tragedy for our neighborhood and for our children.

Laurel wasn't my first choice in schools, but it was the one GOD chose when I prayed about it. It thus far has been a great school for my child. The teachers she has had have gone the extra mile to ensure, with her LD, that she understands lessons. The Principal interacts with the students on the playground, in the classroom and responds to parent concerns quickly. The school also has a strong PTA, which enables us to still have extra curricluar programs being cut by most schools in the district.

Laurel Elementary is a very warm,friendly and learning environmental school. I'm glad my son attends Laurel Elementary. He is now entering in the First grade with a new teacher. Her name is Mrs. Leewright,but she goes by Mrs. L. I pray she has a good connections with my son.

Very well disciplined students who do not use abusive words. Neat environment and great teachers including the after school program. Excellent place to send a child who needs Focus! The school involves parents in almost everything and I believe this is key to the success of our own children. Also, parents are well informed and updated on issues or changes made at the school or OUSD.

Laurel teachers have high expectations. I have two children attending and they are both thriving. The diversity of students reflects Oakland and is one of the reasons I really like the school. Another key factor is that parents get involved in how the school is run. The principal and staff care about all students learning and excelling.

Last modified Laurel Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.