Laurel Elementary School 4

Posted April 02, 2014
Laurel has a diverse community, strong PTA and teachers that care. The school continues to strive to meet academic goals for 'ALL' students. Our kids enjoy art and music, pajama night, family night, game night all of which bring us together as a community. Areas that need improving....teacher training to work with studen's with LD's.

Laurel Elementary School 3

Posted November 17, 2013
I'm surprised by the recent positive reviews. Although some teachers are fantastic, test scores are going down dramatically and consistently, and class size has increased significantly over the past two years. I'm basically home-schooling my children after school lets out every day. The recent downturn of this school is a tragedy for our neighborhood and for our children.

Posted October 21, 2013
Laurel wasn't my first choice in schools, but it was the one GOD chose when I prayed about it. It thus far has been a great school for my child. The teachers she has had have gone the extra mile to ensure, with her LD, that she understands lessons. The Principal interacts with the students on the playground, in the classroom and responds to parent concerns quickly. The school also has a strong PTA, which enables us to still have extra curricluar programs being cut by most schools in the district.

Posted August 26, 2013
Laurel Elementary is a very warm,friendly and learning environmental school. I'm glad my son attends Laurel Elementary. He is now entering in the First grade with a new teacher. Her name is Mrs. Leewright,but she goes by Mrs. L. I pray she has a good connections with my son.

Posted August 15, 2013
Very well disciplined students who do not use abusive words. Neat environment and great teachers including the after school program. Excellent place to send a child who needs Focus! The school involves parents in almost everything and I believe this is key to the success of our own children. Also, parents are well informed and updated on issues or changes made at the school or OUSD.

Posted March 08, 2013
Laurel teachers have high expectations. I have two children attending and they are both thriving. The diversity of students reflects Oakland and is one of the reasons I really like the school. Another key factor is that parents get involved in how the school is run. The principal and staff care about all students learning and excelling.

Posted November 03, 2012
Laurel is an AWESOME school! This is our second year being part of the Laurel family and we wouldn't want our child to attend any other school. The academics are challenging, the teachers are creative and engaging and the school leadership is alwaysdeveloping new opportunities to provide our students with more resources. We have a new library and computer lab, school crossing guards, music and computer class to mention a few of the invaluable resources available to our students and families. And if your child is a male students, you can't find a better experience for him because there is a large percentage of male teachers, in addition to our male principal. The student body is very diverse and the students enjoy getting to know each other and building friendships. The atmosphere at the school is very family oriented and we support our school with a tremendous amount of pride!

Posted October 12, 2012
laurel is best school in oakland.my daughter came back from lauer the other day and said laurel is the best school in oakland.

Posted July 26, 2012
This elementary school is a wonderful place to be in. All the facility members there are all nice and hard-working. All the teachers there really cares about their students. What I like most about this school is, it's very diverse. All races are together playing with each other, no one is left alone. They also focus on disciplining the kids and lead them to the right path to their future. The library is filled with books; The librarian does a very great job updating the books once in a while, and teaching the kids how to behave and use the library system. I really recommend this school, because I was also once a student there and when I graduated I was happy and proud of myself.

Posted June 05, 2010
My son came home from kindergarten the other day and said, "I want to go to Laurel for 1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, all the grades 'til college!" He has had a wonderful year. He has made many friends, feels cared for by all staff. Every family we have met is sweet and supportive of their children's success in school. The PTA is not large, but it is a positive and committed group. My son's teacher has been warm and always has her door open for parents to check in, observe, volunteer. She uses her bilingual skills to help Cantonese speaking families understand the curriculum and stay informed about school events. Though many of his classmates are bilingual, my son, who is a native English speaker has still been challenged and inspired this year. I am amazed at his reading, writing and math skills. We love our neighborhood school!

Laurel Elementary School
3750 Brown Avenue, Oakland, CA  94619
Last modified Laurel Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Laurel Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 22 reviews.