Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)

Posted December 11, 2015
First the classes are over crowded then they have mixed grade classes. The teachers are overwhelmed and cranky all the time. My child has a behavior plan and his teacher did not even bother to read it. The teacher was not in compliance. When I wanted to discuss some things with the school it was nearly impossible to get a reply back. Had to send certified letter. They never miss a chance to ask for money though. I am really disappointed at this school. I can't wait for my child to leave this school.

Carl B. Munck Elementary School
Amount of homework: Too much

Posted October 28, 2015
I am given a letter stating that my child should be working on homework about 30 minutes a night (M-TH -- aka 2 hours). We spend on average 4-5 hours a week working on it at home in addition to the 20 minutes of reading that they want done each night. This is after my child spends 10 hours a day (8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.) at the school all week.

Carl B. Munck Elementary School 2

Posted October 28, 2015
The class sizes are too large. The mixed grade classrooms are pushed onto teachers who don't want to do it and are not prepared to do it properly. The incessant bullying causes additional outbursts from kids that would normally be okay. They claim that your child needs help, but they won't bother to evaluate your child. I have taken mine to several doctor's, all of who want the school's evaluation (typically an IEP or other similar type evaluation) to appropriately be able to help, only I can't get the school to do one. My child writes most of their numbers and letters backwards, reads was as saw and the school doesn't care. "We don't worry about that yet." Apparently not until they fall so far behind that catching up is all but impossible. Every day is I hear "So and so took my lunch again today mom." "So and so was taking my things at recess and I tried to tell a teacher but they wouldn't listen." "I am starving"...."I couldn't have a snack from my lunchbox. The teacher wouldn't let me. " My child is far from overweight. This should not be happening. This year started off with a large but more reasonable class size of 27 kids, until they canned the teacher (because the classes weren't large enough) and threw my kid in an already full classroom where the teacher was not even present for the first 3 weeks of the transition and instead they had multiple subs teaching the class. Lets be honest. I saw the classroom before they added more kids. I have no idea how they got more desks in the room. They are squished in tighter than sardines in a can. My child has come home with the same set of homework pages on more than one occasion. My child's excitement for going to school that was present after meeting the first teacher this year has turned into dread. My excitement to be at the same school again this year was high until they pulled the teachers, rescheduled back to school night, then had no teachers at back to school night to participate after I flew from my child's extra circular class to make it. I had the new teacher talked up and "sold" on me then tossed out and told how great the new super strict one is. My child was flourishing with a teacher that encouraged kids to be kids and now she is under military rule. I can hardly wait to pull my child from this school.

Posted May 13, 2015
Day after day my child comes home crying. She is afraid to go to school every morning. She describes a war zone created by 3 boys in her class who fight, throw trash, flip desks and run around the classroom. When I questioned her teacher about this awful behavior, he said the principal sends the rule breakers right back to his class. There's a suspension freeze apparently. Because of that the good students who are there to learn suffer the consequences. We will not be back in the Fall. I'm moving both of my children out of this violent, scary, frightening, disorganized environment.

Posted April 04, 2015
I know Carl B. Munck to be a great school. Ms. Burroughs and Ms. Mastin are very supportive while being professional. The demographic of the school has changed considerably in the past 2 years with very little if any additional funding for the specific needs of the students. My grandchildren have attended for the past 4 years and yes there may be some instances of negative behavior but overall the staff do an excellent job in handling these episodes. We must remember they are there to educate not raise our children. The door is always open for parental involvement.

Posted March 27, 2015
This school needs work I strongly recommend a new principle it's a war zone kids are running wild with no structure it's so sad if parents will take the time to really sit and watch what's going on they will have a different perspective on what they just see it has special need kids and they are not getting that special help from the school the behavior problem is through the roof needs a new administrator

Posted December 02, 2014
Iove this school. My three step kids, all which have different talents and challenges attend this school. The teachers have been wonderful, and Mrs Burroughs (the principal) is incredibly supportive and had a great sense of commitment and purpose. My youngest is 1 and I hope the same teaching staff is there when it is her turn to attend. Thank you to Mrs Burroughs and the whole Carl B Munck team for showing our family support and patience during these hectic elementary school years! Ms Jackson, Mr Miyamoto and mrs Harrison and Ms Dowell are particularly great and our kids love them.

Carl B. Munck Elementary School 3

Posted November 03, 2011
I'm having a problem with my sons teacher Mrs. Harrison, I have request four times to have my son's seat changed and she has not done it. My Son was having problems in that class he used to come home sad and say stuff like "I'm not smart anymore" or he would say "I'm not your good boy". I was so worried about his overall behavior in class I meet with his teacher Mrs. Harrison, we discussed his behavior in class and his overall performance. By the end of our meeting I was lead to believe that his seat would be moved, after requesting. That was two weeks ago and still nothing. Im planning on having a meeting with the Principal next week. I will keep this site updated.

Posted March 25, 2011
This is our first year at Carl Munck. My daughter is in Kindergarten and we came from a unique situation. She attended preschool - and I thought she was learning at a normal pace, but to my surprise, when I enrolled her in K, she was far behind and not to mention, she was a younger 4 year old starting kindergarten. I can't tell you how pleased, thankful, and incredibly grateful for my daughters K teacher! The amount of time that this teacher spends with her students and going to the extra mile to ensure that my daughter and other students are learning and understanding the material is beyond itself a great deed. The parent involvement is incredible, all the parents know all the names of their child's classmates, there's a dads club that is very active and also plans a lot of the schools activities. I was so worried about my daughter's first year in K, but I was easily put at ease once we got to Carl Munck. I highly recommend this school.

Carl B. Munck Elementary School 4

Posted November 12, 2010
Good school. I have two children enrolled in the 1st and 3rd grades. Both are learning very well and I have seen improvement over the last 4 years since my son (3rd grade) started in Kindergarten. There is an overwhelming feeling of community and as a parent, a great sense of responsibility to be more involved. Mrs. Burroughs (Principle) has encouraged parent involvement as she understands that children's education doesn't start or stop at school, but at home. The Dads club at the school has a large number of Fathers there that are involved as well. This really is a good school.

Carl B. Munck Elementary School
11900 Campus Drive, Oakland, CA  94619-3104
Last modified Carl B. Munck Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carl B. Munck Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top