Oakland, CA

Carl B. Munck Elementary School 1

Posted May 13, 2015
Day after day my child comes home crying. She is afraid to go to school every morning. She describes a war zone created by 3 boys in her class who fight, throw trash, flip desks and run around the classroom. When I questioned her teacher about this awful behavior, he said the principal sends the rule breakers right back to his class. There's a suspension freeze apparently. Because of that the good students who are there to learn suffer the consequences. We will not be back in the Fall. I'm moving both of my children out of this violent, scary, frightening, disorganized environment.

Posted April 04, 2015
I know Carl B. Munck to be a great school. Ms. Burroughs and Ms. Mastin are very supportive while being professional. The demographic of the school has changed considerably in the past 2 years with very little if any additional funding for the specific needs of the students. My grandchildren have attended for the past 4 years and yes there may be some instances of negative behavior but overall the staff do an excellent job in handling these episodes. We must remember they are there to educate not raise our children. The door is always open for parental involvement.

Carl B. Munck Elementary School 1

Posted March 27, 2015
This school needs work I strongly recommend a new principle it's a war zone kids are running wild with no structure it's so sad if parents will take the time to really sit and watch what's going on they will have a different perspective on what they just see it has special need kids and they are not getting that special help from the school the behavior problem is through the roof needs a new administrator

Posted December 02, 2014
Iove this school. My three step kids, all which have different talents and challenges attend this school. The teachers have been wonderful, and Mrs Burroughs (the principal) is incredibly supportive and had a great sense of commitment and purpose. My youngest is 1 and I hope the same teaching staff is there when it is her turn to attend. Thank you to Mrs Burroughs and the whole Carl B Munck team for showing our family support and patience during these hectic elementary school years! Ms Jackson, Mr Miyamoto and mrs Harrison and Ms Dowell are particularly great and our kids love them.

Carl B. Munck Elementary School 3

Posted November 03, 2011
I'm having a problem with my sons teacher Mrs. Harrison, I have request four times to have my son's seat changed and she has not done it. My Son was having problems in that class he used to come home sad and say stuff like "I'm not smart anymore" or he would say "I'm not your good boy". I was so worried about his overall behavior in class I meet with his teacher Mrs. Harrison, we discussed his behavior in class and his overall performance. By the end of our meeting I was lead to believe that his seat would be moved, after requesting. That was two weeks ago and still nothing. Im planning on having a meeting with the Principal next week. I will keep this site updated.

Posted March 25, 2011
This is our first year at Carl Munck. My daughter is in Kindergarten and we came from a unique situation. She attended preschool - and I thought she was learning at a normal pace, but to my surprise, when I enrolled her in K, she was far behind and not to mention, she was a younger 4 year old starting kindergarten. I can't tell you how pleased, thankful, and incredibly grateful for my daughters K teacher! The amount of time that this teacher spends with her students and going to the extra mile to ensure that my daughter and other students are learning and understanding the material is beyond itself a great deed. The parent involvement is incredible, all the parents know all the names of their child's classmates, there's a dads club that is very active and also plans a lot of the schools activities. I was so worried about my daughter's first year in K, but I was easily put at ease once we got to Carl Munck. I highly recommend this school.

Carl B. Munck Elementary School 4

Posted November 12, 2010
Good school. I have two children enrolled in the 1st and 3rd grades. Both are learning very well and I have seen improvement over the last 4 years since my son (3rd grade) started in Kindergarten. There is an overwhelming feeling of community and as a parent, a great sense of responsibility to be more involved. Mrs. Burroughs (Principle) has encouraged parent involvement as she understands that children's education doesn't start or stop at school, but at home. The Dads club at the school has a large number of Fathers there that are involved as well. This really is a good school.

Carl B. Munck Elementary School

Posted November 04, 2010
Principle,staff and the kids, its a family,everyone from the parents, teachers,staff and community,the scores have gone from 700's to 821 and still climbing thats a little school with high expectations.

Posted May 27, 2010
My son is completing kinder this year and he is very happy and thriving at the school. There is diversity among staff and families. They make it a point to expose children to different cultures in the classroom and schoolwide. They integrate kids with diabilities in the mainstram classroom which give the kids an appreciation for all. Teachers know all the kids by name, the afterschool program is wonderful and has a variety of activites. The kids know other students from different grades. There is an overall community of caring at the school. The principal has always been cordial and greets me when I am there. The school is bright with work from students posted all over the hallways, clean and inviting. My son is doing well academically....he can read and write well. I am very happy with the Carl B and all it offers to my child.

Carl B. Munck Elementary School 2

Posted April 16, 2010
My son attends this school. The teachers are great. They are very caring and dedicated. They really are the best in Oakland Unified. The PTA is up and coming. It s sad that they lack leadership from the principal. She is not easy to talk to. Her office door is rarely open and when it is she either does not have time for you or tries to bully you. Instead of trying to bring the school together, the principal continues to use the excuse it s a commuter school that s why we cannot have a community . I believe she is truly the down fall of our school and why the school test scores have flat lined.

Carl B. Munck Elementary School
11900 Campus Drive, Oakland, CA  94619
Last modified Carl B. Munck Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carl B. Munck Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top