Public charter
Oakland, CA

Oakland Charter Academy 1

Posted October 10, 2014
This school is terrible. Only because the school is new does not mean that it is a good school. I witnessed the principal put their hands on a child and immediatly decided to move my child out of this school. Parents do your homework before deciding on this school for your child.
2 people found this helpful

Oakland Charter Academy 1

Posted August 28, 2014
Don't be fooled by the cool exterior. RUN AWAY! I used to teach here. They might have high scores but that's because they force you to spend weeks studying for standardized exams. This school is also guilty of excessive punishment. I saw students having shoes and seats taken away, having to to wearing signs (i.e. "I am a liar"), being sworn at, or coming to Saturday and even Sunday school. They don't know what their rights are at all. The teachers here are very hardworking. but that's not enough. In 2014, 5 out of 6 teachers left. I've seen well-meaning teachers burn out and begin yelling and enforcing unreasonable rules because of the pressure from up top. Simply put, it's a toxic environment. I would NEVER let a child come here. Sure, the kids will be good at academics - yet he/she will not have seen or been taught morals and ethics that come with the responsibility of knowledge. The school rules by fear and preys on ignorance. It's sad. Half of these kids will succeed. And half of them will fail, hard. And it's hard to watch kids, during this transitional period of their lives, be subject to such emotional abuse. So, I quit.

Posted April 23, 2014
The new OCA facility opening the coming year is super nice!! I drove by it yesterday, and am excited that I chose this school. My daughter has attended a small charter school for elementary school, and I want a structured environment for her, but one that also focuses on academics. At the current school (Ed for Change) there is TOO much focus on technology and honestly, my child's focus is on fun! I spoke to an administrator at E4C who recommended I look at OCA, and I am glad I did so. the new building at Foothill and 40th is one of the nicest schools in Oakland....glad I got an OCA ticket before the doors open. My girl is excited and as a parent, my daughter is going to attend a blue ribbon school.....how many parents in East Oakland can say that?

Oakland Charter Academy 4

Posted March 06, 2014
I am an ex-teacher in this school, and I am writing this because I felt that many reviews below did not portrayed Amethod's view in a fair and accurate manner. Amethod s motto is honor hard work, and its philosophy centers on that. So, yes, there is a lot of homework, quizzes, and tests. Students are required to attend mandatory 3 weeks summer school, and they have homework to complete during breaks. If you do not put to put in the hard work, then Amethod is probably not the right school for you. However, please remember that many of our students come from low-income neighborhoods in Oakland, and many of them will be first generation college students. Now, how prepare do you want your child to be for colleges? Could a lack of resource be the sole excuse when it comes to applying to college or job? No, it wouldn t. Regardless of their background, they are required to demonstrate the same amount of professionalism and education as their peers. Amethod prepares them to be elites in the real world and that requires hard work.

Posted January 13, 2014
i am a student of Oakland charter academy if you want your child to have a good future,well you better put them in this school,they might be tough and might leave you a lot of homework ,but that is how college is ,so its better getting used to it know,yeah they yell but only at the kids that behave bad or are interrupting the class for no reason all of you parents that did the bad rates and comments your kids were not strong enough to go to this school that is the only reason they have summer school so that they can see which students are strong enough to stay when i started 6th grade that was hard because they put more pressure to the ones that start,but know that i am in 7th grade it's not that hard because you get used to it and if you follow the rules and pay attention you wouldn't want to move because they treat you like family and for all those parents that put bad comment next time don't listen to your kids they are just kids,probably they were just to weak and sensitive next time don't judge a school if you don't know how the system is.

Posted October 08, 2013
Both of my children attend Oakland Charter Academy and love it. They work super hard and never complain because they are proud of their academic skills and willing to face a daily challenge. This school is safe, fun and teaches real life skills. Oakland Charter Academy demands a commitment from the whole family to academic excellence and the time and work that it requires. It is not a good choice for families who have lots of other activities or interests or families who are unwilling to put academic excellence first.

Oakland Charter Academy 4

Posted August 21, 2013
Oakland Charter Academy- This is my daughter's last year at OCA. When she first started, the homework was a little overwhelming, but this IS a blue ribbon school afterall, lots of homework should be expected. She began with a 0.07 GPA, and now has 2.85 which is great considering how advanced their curriculum is. I have grown to love this school and will be enrolling my other children as well. They teach you the importance of hard work and discipline and the value of a good education. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted June 12, 2013
I go to Oakland Charter Academy Middle School, I must said their teaching was awesome , I will on eighth grade on 2013-2014. The only problem that I had is they won't let you have a casual day even is a last day of school. But the high school student are some days they could wear casualty not us the middle school student. I strongly advise to make both side to be more fairness and reward student with one casual day at least.

Posted January 13, 2013
i go to oakland charter academy middleschool myself and i must say i had problems with their unexpressive uniforms but my math great was extremely low and they brought it up i feel cared about and they push yuou to do your best the first day of school i was terrified but the kids were so inviting and it made me feel as if i were part of their little family of 150 students

Posted October 18, 2012
Oakland Charter Academy is the best school! It helps you a lot. The principal is tough but fair.

Oakland Charter Academy
3001 International Boulevard, Oakland, CA  94601
Last modified Oakland Charter Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oakland Charter Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top