Oakland Technical High School 1

Posted November 21, 2013
I have had 2 kids at this school. The demographic affects everything about this school. There are way too many kids for the administration to handle. This school SELLS you on the academies..but there are LIMITED spots. Kids drop out of the academies...but those spots are NOT offered to anyone else because they NEVER got the prerequisite classes as freshman. The administration didn't do much when I reported an instance of bullying/intimidation - didn't even pursue those specifically named. Not enough lockers, not enough staff, MANY kids come to school smelling like weed. I think the overall quality of their teachers is POOR. One math teacher is on Chapter 4..another teacher is on Chapter 14 and going so fast and then telling them to come back for tutoring..why can't they just slow down and give the kids a chance to absorbe the lesson? I have spent more days at this school checking on WHY things are happening and half the time, you can't find anyone in administration. I would caution parents before sending kids here only. Be kind to yourself and your kids .... before heading to this school...SPEND A DAY ON THE CAMPUS.

Posted September 04, 2013
Oakland Tech is hands down the best Public High School in Oakland. Offering a huge variety of interesting and engaging programs, such as its amazing humanities program "The Paideia Program", and a variety of career oriented acadamies, I would recommend this school to all potential students who are OK going to a large school. Most of the teachers are kind, professional, and interesting. With a wide variety of AP and other advanced classes on hand, Oakland Tech is optimal for students who aspire to go to top colleges, with some students in recent years even getting into Brown and Harvard. The reason why the school does not get a 5 star rating has more to do with the uneven quality of funding and school district support than anything else (erratic building support, etc.) Back on the plus side, Oakland Tech provides a variety of varisty athletic teams (including some unusual ones like ice hockey) and offers a plethora of clubs (including a school newspaper, debate club, multiple community service clubs, etc.). Although Tech is a big school, most students' experiences are what they make of it- so for many students they can feel like they are in a smaller school than in reality.

Posted August 01, 2013
This is a very awesome school. I've been here for only a year, but I like it a lot. I can't wait for my sophomore year. I like how there's a lot of awesome clubs, like buildOn. The classes and programs are cool, like for PE, we get to do swimming. I'm also in the health academy, which can help in the future. Any academy to be here. The only thing I didn't like though was there were some not nice people, but oh well. I have to deal with it, which I did and turned out well. I had a lot of great teachers, but only one I had a hard time with. The only thing that needs improvement is the method of teaching for students by only some teachers. I recommend it to all. They'll have the time of their lives. I did. I also met some awesome people. If you like swimming, try to join the team or PE. It's also very diverse. If your student is academically gifted, put them in tech. There are lots of AP classes. There are also fun events that happen.

Oakland Technical High School 2

Posted January 23, 2013
I feel like the kids here are not geting the education they should. Many of the classes are taught by teachers who have no idea how to teach. THey think teaching is having the kids read the book and answer the questions and that's it. Classroom managment is dismal in many, many cases. If your child gets into the Paiedia program they have a change at a good education but if they are in regular classes, forget it. The teachers should be turning in 6-week lesson plans and the administration should look at them all, especially the English and history classes, and they should be observing classes more.

Posted August 12, 2012
Oakland Tech is providing an enriched and challenging education for my son, now a senior. The diverse population (reflective of Oakland) adds richness to our kids' lives. They are loyal to each other and to Tech and are an impressive group of kids.The principal is a real anchor; she knows the students and many parents by name (amazing in such a large school), runs a tight but fair ship, and is extremely well liked by parents, staff and students. The teachers are excellent, not only in the academies and Paideia, but in the college prep classes too. Not 100%, but pretty close to 90%, which is saying a lot. Assignments are thoughtful and creative, for the most part, and the classes stimulating. The teachers are responsive to parent needs and ready to help your student when necessary. We've had a great experience there.

Posted July 26, 2012
This school is a very great school to be in. Very diverse and they offer many programs to their kids such has nursing, biotech, and etc. This is a high-school you want your kids to be in. This school focuses alot on the kid's academic skills. This school gives a lot of opportunity to let the students experience in their future college goals by giving them programs for them to attend. The students in Oakland Tech, they all graduate and in the fall they're all freshman college students !

Posted October 18, 2011
Excellent programs, stable administration, respectful environment, active sports teams. My son is a junior and is in the Paideia program and Engineering Academy. Mr. Merrill just received the Jefferson Award. Other academies include Green, BioTech, Health, Computer and Performing Arts. Students can also choose their own path. Scheduling problems are resolved quickly, there are no fights on campus, teachers are willing to help, love their jobs. Students go on to top colleges, if they are willing to work.

Posted May 06, 2011
Great environment, suportive teachers, academically challenging classes, even for our "gifted" child. We are happy in this school, and looking forward to Engineering, Paidea & soccer team next year.

Posted May 04, 2011
PROUD ALUMNI, I learned a lot of things about LIFE at this school I would not have learned at a private school. I played Football and also participated in track & field so I was not involved in many clubs except for asthma peer counseling. I have seen this school evolve quickly but there is still room for improvement.

Posted February 24, 2011
As a student at Oakland Tech, I would say it is a great school. It is not perfect, but one can have a great experience if they choose to. There are many AP classes including Biology, Spanish, Mandarin, Physics, Chemistry, US History, English and many others. There are also many academies that one can enter starting from their sophomore year including the Health Academy, Engineering Academy, Biotech Academy, and others. We have a wonderful Performing Arts program that is internationally known. The teachers are there to assist you-but you need to want the help first. It's not all on them. The sports department is also great, and there is community involvement! Tech is a really good school.

Oakland Technical High School
4351 Broadway, Oakland, CA  94611
Last modified Oakland Technical High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oakland Technical High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top