Oakland, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted January 29, 2014
I love Piedmont Avenue School. My son is in Kindergarden here, and he is doing so well! I love that they have computer, art and science. Even in kidnergarden! With all the cut backs I am happy to see they still have a full computer lab for the kids. Parents really get involved. The teachers really care. Ms. Drake is absolutely the best!

Posted September 14, 2012
I am a parent of a first grader at Piedmont Ave Elementary School. My son started here in Kindergarten and we have LOVED this school from the beginning! The principal is AMAZING! The teachers care tremendously about their work and their kids. It is a diverse and sweet group of families and the PTA does a huge amount in support of the kids and their learning and enrichment. Last year's star testing scores soared! We grew 12% in math, 6% in English Language Arts and 10% in Science. The API will be calculated soon, I can't wait to see what it has increased to. If this is your neighborhood school, PLEASE look at it seriously and thoroughly. Speak with Mrs Ahmad, the principal, the teachers and parents and you will know you have found a wonderful school for your kids and families. But most of all, no matter where you end up, GET INVOLVED! It will make all the difference in the world to your community and to your child's education!

Posted August 14, 2012
My son was new here last year. As an entering 4th grader making friends and navigating a new environment was only one of the challenges we faced at the beginning of the year. Also, we had tried to get him an IEP assessment at other schools with little to no success. But, he made friends, had a great experience with his teacher AND we got the IEP all finished. Considering the budget stresses of OUSD and the struggle to get more parents involved PAES rises above the challenges. The Principal got a grant for a brand new computer lab the yer before we got there, there is science, art and field trips. My son got to go to Mosaic camp last year and he loved it and learned so much. Some of the other parents have mentioned diversity; its true, PAES has no shortage of cultural, racial, or socioeconomic diversity. The school has an inclusive approach to addressing all the children's differences. We are so lucky our neighborhood school didn't have room for an entering 4th grader. We love PAES!

Posted August 13, 2012
This is a good school that could be a great school with more parent involvement. The principal is dedicated and intelligent with the best interests of the teachers and students at the forefront of her considerations in everything she does. The teachers with few exceptions are top notch educators with a strong focus on promoting a culture of success. The one thing in need of improvement is the percentage of community minded parents willing to put in the time to make the school a success. The parents that are active shoulder an incredible burden in their efforts to make the school fun and fulfilling for the kids because the majority of the parents are either too busy to help or unwilling to help. The PTA works very hard to bring positive influences into the school but they need more support from the parents. All in all, this is a good school and I am proud to send my child there. I just wish that more of the parents would get involved. If even a few more parents were able to give time to the school it could truly transform this school from being a good school into being a great school.

Posted August 13, 2012
My son has been attending PAES since 2nd grade. He was previously in a private school that could not meet his needs as a child with Asperger's. We couldn't be happier with his experience at PAES. He loves his school; he feels included socially and academically challenged/strengthened. Ms. Amad, the principal sets a great tone for the school and I see all the teachers work very hard to make their school shine -- I feel all the teachers support my son's growth, not just his grade teacher. The school is very diverse and the parent base is very dedicated and participatory in all school activities and fundraisers. There is a couple after school programs onsite and nearby (ex: Studio One, which does pickups at the school). The school itself is in a great neighborhood and we often find ourselves wandering down Piedmont for dinner at some of the great restaurants or for some ice cream at Fenton's.

Posted August 12, 2012
My twins are entering 5th grade this year -- our 7th year of involvement with PAES (we were involved for a year before kindergarten). We've been very happy at the school, for all the reasons that others have mentioned, and both of my kids -- 2 very different personalities -- have thrived. One example: they both got perfect scores on the Math portion of the CST last year! They did well on the English Language Arts portion too; one of them got a perfect score on that as well. I love the diversity -- racial and socioeconomic -- at the school, and continue to hope that others in the PAES neighborhood zone will come to value and support the school, and will send their kids here. I think that with 5 to 10 more local families who can attend evening meetings, volunteer, assist with fund-raising, represent the school in the community, etc., the school reputation will skyrocket, the scores will jump to the mid-800's, and people will be fighting to get in! ...but even if that doesn't happen, we've been very pleased with the school. It's been a wonderful experience for our whole family. We wish Mrs. Ahmad, our wonderful principal, and the staff and teachers the very best in the future!

Posted July 27, 2011
My child has gone to this school for 4 years and is thriving. We live in the neighborhood and watch the neighbors drive to other schools. I wish they would give the local school a chance. They would find like I did a great school with teachers and a principal who care and provide a great place to learn. There is a strong group of parents working hard to make the school better. Each year seems to get better. We have been very pleased with our school.

Posted June 19, 2011
I have two kids attending Piedmont Ave Elementary and they have had an amazing experience during the 4 years they have attended this diverse school. They are so comfortable working along side kids of all races, kids who speak many different languages, and kids from all different socioeconomic levels. Not only are they getting a great education, they are gaining valuable experience from real diversity among their friends and fellow students at the school. The school's Principal, Ms Ahmad, is outstanding and has made numerous positive changes at the school. Under her leadership, API scores have increased (50 points in one year) and she has introduced effective programs for teaching reading, math, and computer skills. Piedmont Ave Elementary also has wonderful teachers. How do I know? By spending time in the class room and talking to my kids is one way. Also, my kids have scored at (or near) 100% on the statewide testing every single year! Every school has room to improve and has more work that is needed; and PAES is no different. But if PAES is your local school, I strongly encourage you to give it a try. Visit us. Talk to the Principal. Come to PTA meetings. See it for yourself.

Posted September 29, 2010
This is a great school community. The teachers appear to work collaboratively with each other. New and innovative ideas are being implemented. There is a great mix of kids and parents. Lots of great people doing great work.

Posted January 26, 2010
I Love PAES! The students, staff and teachers are all great and you really get a sense of community once you step inside the school. The parents are very involved and the Principal is always looking for ways to engage and reward the students for their efforts! She's great about implementing the latest tools and technologies in education and takes an active part in all of the classrooms.

Piedmont Avenue Elementary School
4314 Piedmont Avenue, Oakland, CA  94611
Last modified Piedmont Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Piedmont Avenue Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top