Posted May 07, 2015
My child attended St Leo the Great in Oakland for 10 years (pk-8), I was quite pleased with the experience we had. The items below are some of the things that impressed me: * Principal is very engaging and knows all of the students * many of the faculty and staff have been with the school for many years *They have a good summer program; academics in the a.m.; recreation p.m. *students experience educational and team bonding retreats *Extra resources (i.e.. homework help, tutoring) are available if needed *Several committed parents organize memorable events *students enjoy going to St. Leo the Great The school prepared my child for high school requirements I would recommend St. Leo the Great school.

Posted April 04, 2015
The statistics don t lie. We considered St. Leo the Great for our kids because we kept meeting people who d attended credible colleges and universities like Stanford, Cal, and others who said they went to St. Leo. Students at this school have very high percentile rankings on standardized tests, the school has a high percentage of students getting academic scholarships and awards, and they have a very high percentage of students getting into the high schools of their choice and going on to complete college degree programs. We wanted a school culture which supported that level of academic rigor in addition to fostering the social and moral development of our children.

Posted April 02, 2015
I m very impressed with the academic rigor and sense of community at St. Leo the Great in Oakland. My son scores very high on the standardized testing and his teachers have always been innovative - to keep the curriculum interesting and challenging for students. Most importantly, students are taught to respect themselves and each other. I've visited many elementary schools and have never seen another school which provides so many supplemental learning opportunities and teaches students such a high degree of moral development, integrity, and leadership. We've been a part of St. Leo s community for over 5 years.

Posted November 19, 2013
I'm very happy with my choice to send my children to this school. The principal leadership is beyond excellent, there is a strong sense of being a part of an inclusive community, the curriculum promotes academic rigor, the staff is diverse, it's in a safe and clean neighborhood, and children are taught self-respect and community service. I could say lots more that I love about this school but wanted to keep this review brief!

Posted October 29, 2013
I am honored to recommend the School of St. Leo the Great to any parent who is looking for a caring environment that fosters academic excellence, respect for one another and values the importance of a well balanced curriculum inclusive of the arts and sports. Both of my children attended this school and it was an extremely valuable and rich learning experience for both of them. St. Leo's fully prepared them for the high school of their choice and both children went on to attend their first choice colleges. The strength of any great institution is rooted in its leadership and this school's principal is one of the finest and most committed and dynamic principals I have ever known. Her interest in the whole child, her mantra of inclusion, encouragement and anti-bullying at the school make this school one of the best in Oakland. I have returned to the school as a former parent to conduct in-service sessions with the students and faculty and it has been a pleasure to engage with students who are so well behaved and respectful of adults. Looking for a great school, check it out!

Posted October 27, 2013
St. Leo is one fo the best elementary schools I have known . The students are energized, innovative learrning is the norm and achieving excellence seems to be the mantra. The teachers, the staff, and head of school are 100 % engaged and commited to the students' success. I would recommned this school for any young family looking to give their child a remarkable learning experience.

Posted August 15, 2013
I agree with the December 13, 2012 rating exactly. Many people at the school have a clique mentaility, which can create a problem for a new child attending the school. The school doesn't foster parents and teachers working together for the good of their child as well, which is very important to me. Many of St. Leo's rules don't have a real purpose, ie if your child is late to school 3 times a trimester, the parent has to pay a fine, and the child has to come to Saturday detention. The children don't drive, so I can't see why it makes sense to punish them. The parents fine, makes sense, not the detention.

Posted April 30, 2013
This school has some positive qualities and some major problems. St. Leo's is a small school with only one classroom per grade. This allows many of the students and families to get to know one another, which can be wonderful. It is beautiful to see all the well-groomed children at an assembly with their neat uniforms on. The problems at this school are very serious, however. Teachers at St. Leo's are allowed to have their own children in their classrooms. This policy causes a host of problems which could be prevented by following the kind of policy that most schools have: no students in their own parent's classroom. Another grave concern for parents considering enrolling their children at this school is that there is absolutely no effort to reduce the amount of candy and other junk food and many school activities are candy-centered. Although there are team sports beginning in the third grade, the smaller children are not allowed to participate in them. The children and the young teachers are sedentary and looking at screens quite a bit of the time and many are overweight. The local public schools are doing much better in promoting a healthy lifestyle than is St. Leo's.

Posted December 13, 2012
I heard that Saint Leo was a great school many years ago, so when I had my daughter, I knew she was going there. After being there for 1 year, I had enough. The principal is the best thing going for the school. I was looking for a sound, welcoming environment for my daughter, but I witnessed the parents and teachers being very judgemental. There was a strong "clique" mentality which made it difficult to bond with parents because there isn't a real parent association. The parents only meet when an event is coming up. I moved my daughter to another catholic school in Oakland and we are very happy.

Posted November 09, 2012
Mrs. Simiral and Saint Leo's have been very heavy on my heart and I wanted to reach out personally to thank you for everything you have done for my daughter over the past 10 years. You aided her into the young lady that she is today and for that I will always be grateful. I couldn't have done all of this without St. Leo's backing me giving me the strength to continue with my daughter, you guys are Family! My daughter has had some adjustments to her new high school socially and academically, but she has prevailed on all counts and I believe that this is from the strong foundation she received at St. Leo's. You have a way of making every child feel special and my daughter in particular as a Leader. Academically, my daughter is doing very well at her new high school a 3.6 GPA and is working very hard to get a 4.0. In her Geometry class as a freshman, she is already over half way through the program for the year and will be placed in Algebra II Honors by her sophomore year. I feel so blessed by what you and St. Leo's have given my daughter. Not just an education, but the tools to never doubt herself and to always be a confident leader no matter what environment she is put in.

St. Leo the Great School
4238 Howe Street, Oakland, CA  94611
Last modified St. Leo the Great School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Leo the Great School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top