K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

Where do I start.... This school was a TOTAL let down to my child. I wasted my money at this school. The kids were out of control in my child's class with constant disruptions. Kids throwing tantrums in the classroom. The teacher spent the majority of the time yelling at the top of her lungs to students instead of teaching the class. Not sure how a child can learn with a teacher screaming at students. I witnessed this first hand regarding the disruptions in the classroom when I would volunteer for parent hours and was in shock. Sometimes I would hear the teacher yelling when I would be in front of the school coming to pick up my child for an appointment. Nothing was done about the constant bullying with the same group of kids to the same kids they would target. It became a traumatizing situation to my child where it had started affecting her behavior at home. I wouldn't recommend this school to no one.

My child went here from kindergarten through 3rd grade and when Sis. Barbara and Mr. Harper left so did integrity. We did not return for 4th grade. The kids started receiving poor quality lunches and cookies for snacks (everything that Obugs worked so hard to steer them away from). Also Ms. Mitchell does not have control over the school or support for the staff. My child spent the entire 3rd grade year listening to the teacher yell at the handful of same problem students. Our child's learning was suppressed here but is now thriving and thriving without paying tuition!!

Pros: Super cheap after school program, basically free lunch, location, tuition is now Cons: No tenured teachers, teacher turnover mid-year, lacks diversity, excessive bullying, poor academics

SMDP is a great school. It provides a good education in a very over-looked area of Oakland. It may not have all the bells and whistles that some parents may be looking for but what it does supply is a decent education in a loving environment. It is not for every child or parent. For the disgruntled parents posting on here, perhaps you should try to be part of the solution instead of the problem.

Saint Martin de Porres is a a great community school with a top academic program. It is also one of the most affordable Catholic schools in Oakland. But the best way to determine if it is a good fit for your children is to see for yourself. Call us anytime for a tour or to meet with the Principal.

The school was not great last year for my K student and it has declined. There is low moral amongst parents and students are not engaged. The school is drab and there is no community or fundraisers. We are leaving as soon as we can secure another school. Administration is ineffective with supporting the needs of parents and working holistically.

My child attends this school and I must say that it has declined significantly since we first arrived in 2011. I love the school itself and education provided for my child from a teacher standpoint but am concerned with teacher retention and whhat this means for my child's educational future (7 teachers have resigned in one year's time with 4 of these as mid-year resignations). There are also some issues administratively with communication, site security, how all of the elements of the school interact cohesively and marginalization of parents. I think this school would be great if it was more community oriented, family participation was encouraged and the administration worked on some of the issues mentioned above. I have faith in the school and think parochial schools are fabulous for children if administered correctly.

This incredible school is a jewel in the heart of Oakland. The principal, Ms. Mitchell, is the heart and soul of the the school. She spends every waking moment helping the teachers and students be the best they can be. The children cannot help but blossom!

My daughter attends this school and we love it. It is a small school with great teachers and staff. They are very caring and attentive and the also have an excellent after school program.

Great Academic program, and support services for chldren, and their families. Works closely with local groups.

Last modified St. Martin De Porres is a Private school that serves grades K-8