Head-Royce School 3

Posted September 15, 2014
If only academics were the only factor when considering a school... The teachers are INCREDIBLE really - like second to none. One of the best educations for a K-12 in the entire U.S.... no exaggeration whatsoever. However this school breeds arrogance and elitism. I second the other review talking about a gossipy culture between teachers and parents. During my time at Hrs there were many instances where parents and teachers would send awful emails about students or other parents. GREAT EDUCATION, SICKENING ENVIRONMENT.

Posted February 03, 2014
I am a high schooler at HRS and have been attending since I was in Kindergarten. The lower school is great, with wonderful, kind teachers and a wide variety of different academic, athletic, and artistic classes that your child can experience. The middle school is, admittedly, very cliquish and can be socially straining with such a small grade. But the teachers, including in high school are absolutely fantastic, qualifies, and ready to help you in any way possible. The high school has a great selection of classes and activities, so whatever your passion, you can find something for you. However, the school does put too much emphasis on sports, and runs the budget low when it comes to theatre. While the academics are rigorous, the social world of high school is much better and more open. Teachers are accessible, and truly passionate about what they are teaching. The scholastic side of school is very stressful at times, but I know I will be well served and prepared for college.

Posted September 15, 2013
We have a 3rd grader and kindergartener. We love Head-Royce for the academic excellence and emphasis on a well rounded education.

Posted March 22, 2013
I've been looking everywhere for a great private school, and after going to Bentley, Athenian(oh, that one was like a public school),and a few others, I felt awful. But then my parents enrolled me in HRS, and I was skeptical. But when I entered, it was like a whole new world. The teachers were amazingly knowledgeable, funny, accessible, and caring. The student body are all great friends, spirited, and smart.(generally, there are 2 or 3 that don't fit in to that category) The academics were rigorous and entertainingly taught. I'm graduating with a full scholarship to MIT with a scholarship next year, and I thank HRS for everything. I couldn't have done it without them.

Head-Royce School 3

Posted March 17, 2013
The academics are what you would expect for the price tag on the education. However, there is so much more than the academics. The school s elitist and arrogant reputation is well deserved and permeates the environment. As noted by another reviewer, the school s enrollment has increased significantly and is well beyond its conditional use permit, resulting in formal action by the City. (The school has handled the problem by demonizing the neighbors who are understandably upset by the traffic, safety and lowered property values.) Despite the marketing photos, there is very little diversity. The community can be very gossipy (I read an email sent by a HR teacher (and parent) to other parents making disparaging comments about a HR student!), and there is a large landing pad for helicopter parents. If your child fits the mold , the school is a good fit. Otherwise, you may want to look to elsewhere.

Head-Royce School 4

Posted September 06, 2012
Class sizes in 9th grade are now up in the 20 student range. Certainly not what what we expected nor what we were told when considering our choices.

Posted April 15, 2012
My daughter loves the school !!!! Very kind and loving teachers! The lower school is amazing. All the teachers and specialists really get to know each child!!!

Posted April 30, 2011
I am a freshman at HRS, and I've been here since 6th grade.The teachers make this school great, as they are engaging and very creative. HRS also has a beautiful campus, top-quality athletic facilities and program, and a vast array of opportunities for everyone. From robotics to chorus to filmmaking, whatever you decide to pursue will be a quality offering. If you want to set your child up for success in college and life, Head Royce has the rigorous academic prestige and social opportunities to make it happen.

Head-Royce School 2

Posted March 22, 2011
I attended Head Royce in middle school and I hated it. Most of the teachers were very narrow-minded, encouraging earnest, po-faced political correctness rather than creativity and independent thought. In addition, their arts program is sorely lacking for any student who is serious about developing their craft.

Posted June 30, 2010
I spent all thirteen years of lower, middle, and high school at Head-Royce and am extremely grateful for my parents' decision apply. There is such an array of fantastic, student-oriented, and dedicated teachers. The camaraderie and support provided by the other students, faculty, and staff helped me achieve my educational and career goals and allowed me the success now experience. I cannot recommend HRS more highly as a community that will nurture lifelong learning and moral character.

Head-Royce School
4315 Lincoln Avenue, Oakland, CA  94602
Last modified Head-Royce School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
Head-Royce School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews.