K-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Grateful to: Student

Posted November 09, 2015
I would like to thank my shadow who took me through the school for a tour that really flamed up my passions for it. Before, I haven't really considered, but now, I feel like that this is a place where I want to be, like a second home.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted November 09, 2015
Head Royce aimed for this and has achieved this by the way their students showed their respect not to tease shadows and other students when they struggled, instead, they stood up and helped each other out of the struggle.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted November 09, 2015
The teachers adjust situations to follow the student's needs, like extensions, help at lunch, and etc.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted November 09, 2015
I feel like this because no matter what I did or how I joked around with them, they are always friendly and willing to help even if we disagree on one thing.

Posted November 09, 2015
Friendly and Interactive teachers have really made up what this school and what schools should really be like at Head Royce.

Posted August 27, 2015
I am a very proud alumna of The Head Royce School. I graduated in 2008 and still feel strongly connected to the school, the faculty, and to my friends. The education I received prepared me extremely well for University. While many of my college peers struggled their freshman year, college felt like transitioning into 13th grade for me. It was a step up but a reasonable step up that I felt challenging but not overwhelming. I credit Head Royce for the inspiration it gave me to pursue my passions and for helping me to develop strong communication, writing, and critical thinking skills. I made lasting friendships and was able to engage on many levels (e.g. theater, sports, student council, clubs, etc.) I never felt the need to stick to one label or click. Yes, I had my group of friends but I never felt unwelcome in other circles. I cannot recommend this school more highly. Go Jayhawks!

Head-Royce School 2

Posted August 01, 2015
I attended this school from middle- through high school. The academics, aside from a few strong teachers, are not worth the high tuition. The school prepares students well to get high SAT scores, but poorly for basic college skills, like effective writing. I agree with the comment who characterized the academic side as "smoke and mirrors". The atmosphere is definitely elitist. If your child is shy and thoughtful or reticent; creative and/or unconventional; a member of an ethnic or cultural minority; or simply moves to the beat of his/her own drummer, s/he will be miserable at this school. It's very conventional and cliquish. There are much better choices in the East Bay, especially considering the cost vs. the mediocre academics.

Head-Royce School 3

Posted September 15, 2014
If only academics were the only factor when considering a school... The teachers are INCREDIBLE really - like second to none. One of the best educations for a K-12 in the entire U.S.... no exaggeration whatsoever. However this school breeds arrogance and elitism. I second the other review talking about a gossipy culture between teachers and parents. During my time at Hrs there were many instances where parents and teachers would send awful emails about students or other parents. GREAT EDUCATION, SICKENING ENVIRONMENT.

Posted February 03, 2014
I am a high schooler at HRS and have been attending since I was in Kindergarten. The lower school is great, with wonderful, kind teachers and a wide variety of different academic, athletic, and artistic classes that your child can experience. The middle school is, admittedly, very cliquish and can be socially straining with such a small grade. But the teachers, including in high school are absolutely fantastic, qualifies, and ready to help you in any way possible. The high school has a great selection of classes and activities, so whatever your passion, you can find something for you. However, the school does put too much emphasis on sports, and runs the budget low when it comes to theatre. While the academics are rigorous, the social world of high school is much better and more open. Teachers are accessible, and truly passionate about what they are teaching. The scholastic side of school is very stressful at times, but I know I will be well served and prepared for college.

Posted September 15, 2013
We have a 3rd grader and kindergartener. We love Head-Royce for the academic excellence and emphasis on a well rounded education.

4315 Lincoln Avenue, Oakland, CA  94602