Posted February 12, 2014
Good school if your special needs child is a "normal" special needs child. Not so good if your special needs child does not fit the Raskob special needs profile. There is minimal/negligible curriculum flexibility. Be prepared for large dosages of high-priced Raskob inpatient and outpatient therapy instead of individual classroom teacher attention if your student does not fit their profile. There was not a lot of teacher empathy either. Most of the teachers and teacher assistants are biding their time until they can get a higher paying (public school) job. The (everyday) PE program was great; the after school sports program was a joke. Make sure to visit, have your child do a shadow day (or two) and ask all the specific, relevant questions (about your child) so you know what he/she is getting into. Raskob is very expensive day care!

Posted September 02, 2013
I was bullied at the school and was unprepared for high school because of lack of nightly work.

Posted May 13, 2013
Our niece (who we raise) was struggling mightily at a wonderful, small private school where my wife teaches. Even in a small and nurturing environment like her previous school, our niece was drowning. We enrolled her in Raskob for 6th grade and the change has been remarkable. In just one year her confidence, self-esteem and attitude towards school have improved immensely, and we can't wait to see what two more years will bring!

Raskob Learning Institute And Day School 4

Posted May 01, 2013
The most important thing to know about Raskob Day School is that it is a very specialized school for children of normal or high intelligence with significant learning differences. Most children who attend have issues such as ADHD, dyslexia, or processing disorders. Most of them were failing miserably in traditional schools, and have come to Raskob as the school of last resort. For some children, this is the school that saves their self esteem and academic future. For others, the problems they have are not remedied, but it is not a perfect school for all (no school is). Opportunity is there to advance quickly or to go at one's own speed, depending on the child. My son has been in the middle school for 2 and one half years. He has regained his confidence and learned to function in the academic arena. He has taken on a leadership roll among the students this year, something far from his capability when he entered. He has learned to work around his learning glitches and will enter a "normal" high school next year. I did not give 5 stars because there are things that could be better. There is always a little disorganization at the school. There could also be more emphasis on the arts.

Raskob Learning Institute And Day School 2

Posted July 16, 2011
My son has attended Raskob since 3rd grade and has just graduated 5th grade. Recently, when I asked him what 3 from 11 was, after using his fingers and about 20 seconds had passed, he came up with 2 as the answer. He has always read well and gets bored in his classes in which other kids are struggling far more than he in reading. Yet he has not been given more challenging work. My son processes slowly, has very limited working memory, limited empathy and is completely disorganized. The social learning class he takes at school (additional cost, of course,) has been the most beneficial thing he has done at the school. My son has felt "safe" at the school and has friends, which counts for a lot, but he hasn't yet "learned how to learn" the stuff that comes harder and takes some effort. I don't fully understand why not.

Posted June 07, 2011
My son has been at Raskob for the last 2 years and my husband and I feel it is a terrific school. I feel the teachers there are very dedicated and knowledgeable. The atmosphere is nurturing and positive. I'm wondering if the previous negative reviews are from parents with personal axes to grind? Or are resentful of paying the tuition?

Posted November 14, 2010
if you want to consider your child a success based on minimal academic expectations, than this is the place for you. Ofcourse your child we be successful in this environment as they are not challenged or required to learn. We have been there two years and have seen minimal to no special techniques to teach learning disabilities. Unorganized, run by the seat of their pants, teachers and staff sometimes uncooperative and think they know everything.

Posted July 15, 2010
My son attended Raskob for four years and is now a successful student starting his sophmore year in high school. Not only did their program prepare him academically, but the administration and teaching staff supported him and helped him to become an advocate for himself. His learning challenges will be lifelong, but Raskob gave him the tools he needed to become more confident in himself and in his schoolwork. My son started in Raskob in elementary school and grew to be a motivated student throughout his middle school years. I highly reccommend this school.

Posted May 22, 2010
Wow! I am shocked at the last parents review. This school has gone through a lot of changes, but it's been for good reason. The new director is outstanding--she has a group of administrators that are also dedicated, professional, and open to feedback. The teachers are a nice mix of experienced and new. The only "high turn over" that I know of is because of teachers leaving on maternity leave. I would check this place out if you are looking for a school that has small classes for LD kids, dedicated teachers, and a supportive parent community.

Posted February 02, 2010
An awful and I do mean awful school! It may have been a good school a couple a years ago, but it has gone down hill since then. In the last year there has been a high turn over in staff. The administration is not supportive and the curriculum is questionable. As a parent or caregiver, you are better off saving your money and taking your child to a public school.

Raskob Learning Institute And Day School
3520 Mountain Boulevard, Oakland, CA  94619
Last modified Raskob Learning Institute And Day School is a Private school that serves grades 2-8
Raskob Learning Institute And Day School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews.