Posted December 06, 2013
Mills focuses on education with a small student to teacher ratio and a place where my daughter would learn not only the academics that would set the foundation for the rest of her school years but also provide with the problem solving skills for when an adult is not present. My daughter comes home talking about all the fun games she played during recess and singing songs she learned in spanish. She draws pictures with written story lines. She makes puppets and most of all she loves learning. The staff and teacher have been so supportive giving us homework individualized for her with subjects she needs improvement. Today I watched the student aid, my daughter and one other student not only resolve a conflict but discuss how they could express oneself better next time. We feel so blessed to have found such a great learning environment for our daughter. She loves going to school and is anxious to go back on the weekends. So proud to be a Mills parents and apart of this community of staff and parents!

Posted October 22, 2013
My children attend Mills College Children's School because of the small class size, the individualized learning in a mixed-age environment, and most importantly, the thoughtful and intentional teaching. When we first visited this school, we were awed by a classroom environment where children lived in the subject of their learning. The visuals and the conversations spoke of the children's exploration and the wonder they held with what they learned. My children loved the school from the beginning and continue to love it today. I also find the Children's School appealing because it is a laboratory school nested within the School of Education. The teachers and administrators are educational leaders in the Oakland community and are master teachers training student teachers and working closely with college researchers. In a small private school where there is a lot of scrutiny, it is hard for anything to go by unnoticed. There are always different perspectives to every incident. From my family's perspective, we love this school. My children love learning and are thriving in this environment. That's what matters to me.

Posted October 08, 2013
There are many reasons to love your kid s school: happiness of your child, educational approach and curriculum, teachers, fellow parents, classroom design, attentive administrators, etc. By at least these important measures, my wife and I love Mills College Children School. The age-blended classes favor a child s flexible mind. The lovely classrooms are large and dramatically sunlit. My daughter s dedicated teachers have always been available to chat and update parents between formal parent-teacher conferences. The Parent Family Association is active with parents eager to assist teachers and engaged with other parents to build strong community. And the school administrators are decent hard-working folks who exude warmth and generous familial love to the children. I suppose most important at the end of the day is my 2nd grade daughter coming home from school the other day and offering this unprompted endorsement: I love my school because I feel safe. No surprise to us since the learning environment is peaceful and caring. Our daughter enrolled at MCCS in kindergarten and we intend to keep her there until we need to pack her up for middle-school.

Mills College Children's School 2

Posted October 01, 2013
It breaks my heart to write this review because at one this was a great school, however its currently so far from just even being a decent school. There were several students last year who were pulled out of MCCS before the school year even ended and even more didn't return this year. The head of the school is all about making sure the school looks good on the outsie when really there are countless complaints about students, a few of the teachers and a biggie is her! She thinks no one will fin out about the horrible things she has let go on. The dean of education more than likely doesn't know everything but the truth will come out. First step needs to be replacing the head of MCCS & her circle of people she keeps on "the team" because they are not good people. Please, if you are considering this school for your child, don't be fooled by the beautiful campus and tour. Its gorgeous, I know, but not worth risking your childs wellbeing, please consider a better environment for your child... good luck.

Posted June 28, 2011
My son is currently in the Summer program and will start Kindergarten in September. He is continuing from the MCCS pre-school program which was absolutely fabulous. I have a co-worker whose son has been there since K and is now entering the 3rd grade and they are so happy with MCCS. Believe me, I did my research on many private schools in the Bay Area and was my son was excepted into another school we applied to. MCCS was the place for us. We are so excited to start the school year. During the Summer they have several play dates for the students to become acquainted with the school, staff and to meet their new fellow students. This school is wonderful in every way!

Mills College Children's School 0

Posted October 13, 2010
Loving teachers, wonderful atmosphere for kids to learn and grow.

Mills College Children's School 0

Posted April 14, 2010
We have one child in the elementary school and we are very happy with everyone at MCCS. This is definitely one of the best schools in the bay area. The maximum is just 20 students per class and children feel safe in a family-like atmosphere.

Posted July 10, 2008

Posted August 12, 2007
I have one child that went to MCCS from first grade and now is in the 5th grade the ratio is 1:5 the class of 15 students 1 teacher and 2 student teachers.Theres PE,ART,Music & theater.They are really good about writing, reading,math,and science and public speaking. There are specialties like hot chocolate and baking every Friday.

Posted February 24, 2007
I have had two children in the preschool programs at MCCS and was always secure in the knowledge that they were safe, happy, and busy with friends at school. The student-teacher ratio in the infant-toddler room is particularly nice (2-3 children per teacher) so children get plenty of individual attention as needed. In the older preschools our experience was less consistent, as much started to depend on the mix of children in the classroom. At all times they are closely watched, and teachers jump in to help children negotiate difficult moments (self-control, sharing, etc). There is a huge emphasis on developing the social vocabulary needed to navigate socially, and my children have learned social skills that will serve them well in elementary school and beyond!

Mills College Children's School
5000 MacArthur Boulevard, Oakland, CA  94613
Last modified Mills College Children's School is a Private school that serves grades K-5
Mills College Children's School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 11 reviews.