K-5|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted December 01, 2015
Yes! Thank you Ms Jane Simon!! And student teacher Rachel is amazing, Bella loves you! :)

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted December 01, 2015
My daughter is 2 years old and not assigned homework at the moment so this does not apply.

Posted December 01, 2015
This is our daughter's first year at MCCS and it has honestly exceed our expectation. Our daughter is only 2 years old so we were only expecting the program would help her socialize better with other kids. But we're getting more than that - not only is she more social but she's also better at expressing herself, she's more assertive and she's thriving. Her head teacher, as well as the student teachers are attentive, compassionate and flexible. And we really love how the curriculum is both challenging and creatively fun. We'll be staying at MCCS for a while!

Posted November 30, 2015
My kid loves attending school, every day. That's a huge accomplishment for any school. Plus, the campus itself is a marvel.

Grateful to: Student

Posted November 30, 2015
There is a student in my kid's 1st grade class whose smile lights up the room. He is cheerful, respectful, and has the brightest, warmest countenance of any 1st grader I've met. I am so grateful that my kid goes to a school where there are happy smiling kids like this one.

Posted January 02, 2015
I just wanted to give a current review of the Children's School at Mills College. Our daughter started out in the preschool when she was 3 and she is now in the 2nd grade in the Elementary School. We couldn't be happier with the school, teachers, community and her education at Mills. We also love that the student population at MCCS is incredibly diverse. It is such a wonderful community and nurturing place. We had only intended for her to do Kinder and then switch to public but we loved it so much that we've stayed. Each child receives focused attention in and out of the classroom. The curriculum is both challenging and inspiring to my daughter. As a lab school, they employ some really innovative learning techniques (such as a Japanese Math program). My non-math lover has really excelled with math this year! With the small class size and the addition of student teachers there is a great student/ teacher ratio. My daughter loves going to school every day and I know she is getting the best education possible being at Mills. There are also many great enrichment programs both within the school day and after (Spanish, Art, Music, Drama, Chess, Hip-hop, Cooking). We couldn't be happier!

Posted December 03, 2014
We have been at Mills now for about two years and have been very pleased. The small classroom size really allow for more individualized instruction to for the teacher to get to know my child as a learner. I really appreciate the thought and effort put forth in developing the curriculum and the flexibility around making changes. Mills is about learning, exploring, creating and developing as a learner how you are and expounding on the various approaches to learning. Everything segment taught in class has an extended learning component such as a project, activity or field trip - making learning feel real. Mills has been a very safe place for my child to develop socially, emotional, academically in an inquiring sort of way as well as allowed for the necessary physical outlet. Had we not come to Mills I truly believe my child's development would've been stifled. Very happy family at Mills.

Posted December 06, 2013
Mills focuses on education with a small student to teacher ratio and a place where my daughter would learn not only the academics that would set the foundation for the rest of her school years but also provide with the problem solving skills for when an adult is not present. My daughter comes home talking about all the fun games she played during recess and singing songs she learned in spanish. She draws pictures with written story lines. She makes puppets and most of all she loves learning. The staff and teacher have been so supportive giving us homework individualized for her with subjects she needs improvement. Today I watched the student aid, my daughter and one other student not only resolve a conflict but discuss how they could express oneself better next time. We feel so blessed to have found such a great learning environment for our daughter. She loves going to school and is anxious to go back on the weekends. So proud to be a Mills parents and apart of this community of staff and parents!

Posted October 22, 2013
My children attend Mills College Children's School because of the small class size, the individualized learning in a mixed-age environment, and most importantly, the thoughtful and intentional teaching. When we first visited this school, we were awed by a classroom environment where children lived in the subject of their learning. The visuals and the conversations spoke of the children's exploration and the wonder they held with what they learned. My children loved the school from the beginning and continue to love it today. I also find the Children's School appealing because it is a laboratory school nested within the School of Education. The teachers and administrators are educational leaders in the Oakland community and are master teachers training student teachers and working closely with college researchers. In a small private school where there is a lot of scrutiny, it is hard for anything to go by unnoticed. There are always different perspectives to every incident. From my family's perspective, we love this school. My children love learning and are thriving in this environment. That's what matters to me.

Posted October 08, 2013
There are many reasons to love your kid s school: happiness of your child, educational approach and curriculum, teachers, fellow parents, classroom design, attentive administrators, etc. By at least these important measures, my wife and I love Mills College Children School. The age-blended classes favor a child s flexible mind. The lovely classrooms are large and dramatically sunlit. My daughter s dedicated teachers have always been available to chat and update parents between formal parent-teacher conferences. The Parent Family Association is active with parents eager to assist teachers and engaged with other parents to build strong community. And the school administrators are decent hard-working folks who exude warmth and generous familial love to the children. I suppose most important at the end of the day is my 2nd grade daughter coming home from school the other day and offering this unprompted endorsement: I love my school because I feel safe. No surprise to us since the learning environment is peaceful and caring. Our daughter enrolled at MCCS in kindergarten and we intend to keep her there until we need to pack her up for middle-school.

5000 MacArthur Boulevard, Oakland, CA  94613
Last modified Mills College Children's School is a Private school that serves grades K-5
Mills College Children's School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top