K-5|Private

Bad
Good

Amount of homework: no rating

My daughter is 2 years old and not assigned homework at the moment so this does not apply.

This is our daughter's first year at MCCS and it has honestly exceed our expectation. Our daughter is only 2 years old so we were only expecting the program would help her socialize better with other kids. But we're getting more than that - not only is she more social but she's also better at expressing herself, she's more assertive and she's thriving. Her head teacher, as well as the student teachers are attentive, compassionate and flexible. And we really love how the curriculum is both challenging and creatively fun. We'll be staying at MCCS for a while!

My kid loves attending school, every day. That's a huge accomplishment for any school. Plus, the campus itself is a marvel.

I just wanted to give a current review of the Children's School at Mills College. Our daughter started out in the preschool when she was 3 and she is now in the 2nd grade in the Elementary School. We couldn't be happier with the school, teachers, community and her education at Mills. We also love that the student population at MCCS is incredibly diverse. It is such a wonderful community and nurturing place. We had only intended for her to do Kinder and then switch to public but we loved it so much that we've stayed. Each child receives focused attention in and out of the classroom. The curriculum is both challenging and inspiring to my daughter. As a lab school, they employ some really innovative learning techniques (such as a Japanese Math program). My non-math lover has really excelled with math this year! With the small class size and the addition of student teachers there is a great student/ teacher ratio. My daughter loves going to school every day and I know she is getting the best education possible being at Mills. There are also many great enrichment programs both within the school day and after (Spanish, Art, Music, Drama, Chess, Hip-hop, Cooking). We couldn't be happier!

We have been at Mills now for about two years and have been very pleased. The small classroom size really allow for more individualized instruction to for the teacher to get to know my child as a learner. I really appreciate the thought and effort put forth in developing the curriculum and the flexibility around making changes. Mills is about learning, exploring, creating and developing as a learner how you are and expounding on the various approaches to learning. Everything segment taught in class has an extended learning component such as a project, activity or field trip - making learning feel real. Mills has been a very safe place for my child to develop socially, emotional, academically in an inquiring sort of way as well as allowed for the necessary physical outlet. Had we not come to Mills I truly believe my child's development would've been stifled. Very happy family at Mills.

Mills focuses on education with a small student to teacher ratio and a place where my daughter would learn not only the academics that would set the foundation for the rest of her school years but also provide with the problem solving skills for when an adult is not present. My daughter comes home talking about all the fun games she played during recess and singing songs she learned in spanish. She draws pictures with written story lines. She makes puppets and most of all she loves learning. The staff and teacher have been so supportive giving us homework individualized for her with subjects she needs improvement. Today I watched the student aid, my daughter and one other student not only resolve a conflict but discuss how they could express oneself better next time. We feel so blessed to have found such a great learning environment for our daughter. She loves going to school and is anxious to go back on the weekends. So proud to be a Mills parents and apart of this community of staff and parents!

My children attend Mills College Children's School because of the small class size, the individualized learning in a mixed-age environment, and most importantly, the thoughtful and intentional teaching. When we first visited this school, we were awed by a classroom environment where children lived in the subject of their learning. The visuals and the conversations spoke of the children's exploration and the wonder they held with what they learned. My children loved the school from the beginning and continue to love it today. I also find the Children's School appealing because it is a laboratory school nested within the School of Education. The teachers and administrators are educational leaders in the Oakland community and are master teachers training student teachers and working closely with college researchers. In a small private school where there is a lot of scrutiny, it is hard for anything to go by unnoticed. There are always different perspectives to every incident. From my family's perspective, we love this school. My children love learning and are thriving in this environment. That's what matters to me.

There are many reasons to love your kid s school: happiness of your child, educational approach and curriculum, teachers, fellow parents, classroom design, attentive administrators, etc. By at least these important measures, my wife and I love Mills College Children School. The age-blended classes favor a child s flexible mind. The lovely classrooms are large and dramatically sunlit. My daughter s dedicated teachers have always been available to chat and update parents between formal parent-teacher conferences. The Parent Family Association is active with parents eager to assist teachers and engaged with other parents to build strong community. And the school administrators are decent hard-working folks who exude warmth and generous familial love to the children. I suppose most important at the end of the day is my 2nd grade daughter coming home from school the other day and offering this unprompted endorsement: I love my school because I feel safe. No surprise to us since the learning environment is peaceful and caring. Our daughter enrolled at MCCS in kindergarten and we intend to keep her there until we need to pack her up for middle-school.

It breaks my heart to write this review because at one this was a great school, however its currently so far from just even being a decent school. There were several students last year who were pulled out of MCCS before the school year even ended and even more didn't return this year. The head of the school is all about making sure the school looks good on the outsie when really there are countless complaints about students, a few of the teachers and a biggie is her! She thinks no one will fin out about the horrible things she has let go on. The dean of education more than likely doesn't know everything but the truth will come out. First step needs to be replacing the head of MCCS & her circle of people she keeps on "the team" because they are not good people. Please, if you are considering this school for your child, don't be fooled by the beautiful campus and tour. Its gorgeous, I know, but not worth risking your childs wellbeing, please consider a better environment for your child... good luck.

My son is currently in the Summer program and will start Kindergarten in September. He is continuing from the MCCS pre-school program which was absolutely fabulous. I have a co-worker whose son has been there since K and is now entering the 3rd grade and they are so happy with MCCS. Believe me, I did my research on many private schools in the Bay Area and was my son was excepted into another school we applied to. MCCS was the place for us. We are so excited to start the school year. During the Summer they have several play dates for the students to become acquainted with the school, staff and to meet their new fellow students. This school is wonderful in every way!

Last modified Mills College Children's School is a Private school that serves grades K-5