Nichols Elementary School 4

Posted June 09, 2014
I really wanted my child to start kindergarten at a charter school because of the overcrowding in the public school system, but we were not able to get her in. When my daughter entered Kindergartner she was a distracted, non-listener, not motivated and her favorite phrase was "I don't know". She graduated from kindergarten last week, and she is an active reader, she is listening what people are telling her what to do. School is only about 6 months long, and within that short period of time the teacher (Mrs. Jones) molded her into the great student she should be. The only downside of the school in the parking, there is very little parking spaces and people often park on the street 1/4 mile away, and drivers with no patience end up passing on the other side right into traffic.

Posted May 09, 2014
New principal, Mr.Moran shows great leadership and involves any event. Teachers are so supportive and provide appropriate assignment for the students. PTO is organized well and very friendly! The school rating is not so good just because there are some bilingual students. But they are lovely nice kids and it doesn't mean theachers don't teach well. There are lots of advanced competitive kids, too! Highy recommended!

Nichols Elementary School 2

Posted July 14, 2013
Nichols Elementary at 4250 Old Grove Rd, Oceanside, CA earns it's 4 of 10 educational rating. I have two young boys; one in 1st and one in 4th grade. The 4th grade teacher is exemplary, exactly what I expect from a respectable school. But the first grade teacher Ms. Kennington is disappointing. Typically I side with the teacher against my kids but after a few of these incidents clearly leading back to Ms. Kennington, I discovered how detrimental this lady is to the education and safety of the children exposed to her (testament of numerous families who have students in her purview). I filed complaints with the Principal Mr. Moran and other teachers only to be informed at the end of the school year that she had "been made aware of the situation." It is disheartening to know that regardless of how dangerous a teacher is to the health and education of students, there will be nothing done when it is brought to the attention of the proper authorities. This was a series of serious situations we wish we could have avoided. We are remediating our 1st grader over the summer to hopefully prepare him for second and transferring both our students to another school elsewhere in the district.

Posted February 19, 2013
My son is in kinder this year and has an amazing teacher. She works so hard. The class sizes stink but there is nothing to be done about that. The teacher provides excellent academics as well as art, music, computer lab, and tons of positive encouragement. I feel completely satisfied with his education this year. I'm looking forward to having him continue is education at Nichols.

Posted October 19, 2012
I LOVE THIS SCHOOL and so did my daughter. I wish more people would not their experiences-- the teachers care about the students!! Every elementary experience was GREAT for my daughter who has since moved onto middle school. THANK YOU NICHOLS

Posted April 02, 2012
We have a child at this school and look forward to our two younger children attending the school when they're of age. The principal and teachers we have worked with are excellent. Be very critical of average state test scores. The low state average had me worried until I looked at them in more detail. Go on the actual state website and look at scoring distinctions made by ESL and other demographics. Teachers and staff are everything at a school. I have friends with kids at some very sought-after elementary schools (different district) that are very unsatisfied with their school and/or teachers. But on paper, everything is supposed to be great. Parent involvement is also key. One only has to spend a day or two in the classroom to be able to tell which kids are getting additional guidance at home.

Posted October 04, 2011
We have 2 children attending Nichols in 1st and 2nd grades. We have been extremely happy with the teachers our children have had. The teachers are dedicated and truly love their students and their jobs from what we've observed.

Posted September 14, 2011
Kudos to the teachers at Nichols--despite the challenges that teachers at ALL schools in the area face, you still approach your jobs with enthusiasm and show true love for your students. Test scores are just numbers. They do not quantify your knowledge and passion. THANK YOU, Nichols Elementary School, for providing a safe place for our son to learn!!! We are so proud to be a part of this community!

Nichols Elementary School 1

Posted August 15, 2011
WHAT is going on with this school? My child will now be attending this school and after our visit to the school today I am getting ready to break my current lease in order to get my child into a DIFFERENT school- The staff there did it for me- and after doing my "homework" I have come to one conclusion- this school needs some serious help- but don't listen to me...do your homework and visit the school- WHY are the test scores so LOW for this school? Someone once told me everything begins with attidude- and theirs STINKS!

Nichols Elementary School 1

Posted December 25, 2010
This school is on probation due to low test scores. They are too conserned about making the Hispanic community pass the English as a Second Language that they forget to help the other students. Too much emphasis on healthy food and uniforms AND NOT ENOUGH ON THE CHILD. Most teachers try to work both sides but are worried that they will get fired if the wrong kids don't pass and the others just get by. IF THEY NEED TO STAY BACK A GRADE, SO BE IT!!!! I did and it helped me out to be better all the way around. I ended up a GATE student. All in the California school system. They don't worry about the English for English speaking but make sure the Spanish handout are correct. OUR NATIONAL LANGUAGE IS ENGLISH. TO LIVE HERE EVERYTHING IS IN ENGLISH, INCLUNDING HOMEWORK AND HANDOUTS!!!!!!

Nichols Elementary School
4250 Old Grove Road, Oceanside, CA  92057
Last modified Nichols Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Nichols Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top