Jefferson Middle School

Public | 6-8

Living in Oceanside

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $206,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,600.

Posted Saturday, August 16, 2014

Was forced to move with my brother who was stationed at Pendleton I see It hasn't changed since 2004 I got in 5 fights my 3 months i attended thier my 8th grade yr with cholos paisas pinoys all affiliat ed in some kind of set and for the school faculity no good either . They dont help when ask for help then they say what I learned in Phoenix az wasn't up to standard so they put you on stupider classes with more caca Palos shitt sticks thx god I knew how to handle my own I made friends with my own worst enemies by showing how tough I was still no kid should have to show how hard they are the kid is thier to learn and to be educated make good friends while attending thier not bad ones

Posted April 18, 2014

Most of the teachers tend to be patient and wonderful with the children. Great little secret in Oceanside!

Posted February 19, 2013

I just pulled my son out of this School because he was attacked by 4 students in the bathroom.Once he told the nurse that he was attacked the security guards were never called.He has had his phone stolen and his camera stolen. In 6th grade he was pushed from behind and kicked while on the ground.His teachers were great but he is just too scared to attend Jefferson Middle.

Posted May 22, 2012

Too many fights and bullies. The kids here are constantly on survival mode from other students which takes away from their education. My son had a rock thrown at his face because he wouldn't give a kid his lunch. I worry for his safety he will be transferred. This is where Camp Pendleton sends their kids for a high quality education? I think they could afford to do better!!

Posted May 14, 2012

Wow.. This school has gone down hill.. More then down hill a SCARY place TO SEND YOUR CHILD....My son use to go to Jefferson in 2005, it was a good school then.. My daughter went to it in 2010-2011 and what a change.. My daughter had a bathroom pass and an boy jumped her in the hall, grabbed her by neck, pushed her into the GIRLS bathroom and said What do you think I am going to rap you? She yelled and he let go. She did not tell her teachers for fear of what the boy might do, so I took it to the police. I made a report then went to the district and they told me it would be best if I home schooled her because the other kids may gang up on her. So I put her in Pacific View for the last six weeks of school. We both hated home school and it was really sad that we had to do that being she was the victim, she had straight A's yet she had to move schools for safety reason's. Stay away is all I can say...

Posted March 11, 2011

My daughter attends Jefferson Middle School as a 7th grader. Is it the best school? No. However, the current principal is wonderful and is doing a great job in cleaning up the schools "ghetto" image. He is pushing the academic curriculum and cracking down on discipline problems. He is encouraging students to be involved in their school and take pride in being a "falcon". I do believe that a majority of the problems at this school stem from the students that dont really care what their future holds. As well as their parents having the same attitude. My daughter is a straight A student and works hard to maintain those grades. If your child is willing to listen and learn and put in the effort then they will have no problems at this school.

Posted March 4, 2011

I have two children attending this school and it is horrorible. Ghetto is the best way to describe it! Yeah, there are some teachers who are trying if you can get past the wanna be gang members.. Bottom line, dont send your kids here! Especially if they are white my kids here racist comments daily ie. white boy, cracker. Have been jumped numerous times by the "gang bangers". My kids will NOT be attending next year. You want an idea of the demographics of this school, drive through the neighborhood its located in.

Posted August 3, 2010

To all parents who think that the school is "ghetto" (which always makes me laugh) or.." the teahcers don't do this" and "..the principla doesn't do that"-well, VOLUNTEER in your kids class and see how things run. If my twins tell me that a kid is being disruptive or that they are having a problem in a particular class, guess what, I am in that classroom so fast it would make your head spin. No, I am not a stay at home mom, far from it, I am a Registered Nurse and future business owner. My point is is that it is NOT only the teachers job to educate your child, it is HOME TRAINING that allows your children to either act a fool in the classroom or to LEARN quietly. Teachers have become babysitters- VOULNTEER IN THE CLASS, YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Posted May 5, 2010

Jefferson used to be a good school.The arts were a big factor in attracting more kids to the school. When my first child went to Jefferson, a lot of the higher performing kids were school of choice, and choose to come to Jefferson for different programs such as music, drama, dance, etc. With the recent change of administration and all the cut backs, the school is very poor quality now. I am pulling my 2nd child out and going to another school. The old principal used to command respect and discipline. That is no longer happening. The wannabe gang kids rule. The test scores are very low, parental involvement almost null. Most field trips are canceled due to lack of parental chaperones and money. There are kids who can NOT speak a word of english in my kids benchmark classes! Oversight? The arts are gone, electives cut to a minimum.

Posted October 29, 2009

I have a rather low opinion of Jefferson. Most of the other parents in my neighborhood have expressed concern about sending their children there. My child was getting mostly A's & B's in elementary school and was also indentified as a GATE student. After spending 6th grade at Jefferson she is a straight D student and barely passed. My child is ADHD (not an excuse) and simply slipped through the cracks without additional support. I attempted to meet with teachers and administrators several times throughout the year, no luck. I was lucky is e-mails received response. I'm not saying they're bad teachers or bad people, I think they just have too much work, too many students and not enough funding. For 7th grade I was lucky to get into a charter school and eagerly pulled my child out of Jefferson.

Posted September 28, 2009

Jefferson has below average performance across the board. Their best strategy is to put their worst behaving/performing students with their best performing students...while this may help the poor performer; it creates a drag on the excelling student. They have absolutely no GATE program. Worst of all, their attitude about discipline is to punish the easiest target. If a student accidentally injures another (falling on, dropping an object, etc.) they will punish that student severely. But if there is no physical evidence, (e.g. sexual harassment, hazing, verbal abuse) they will simply offer bland platitudes and 'ensure that appropriate action is taken'. I do not know if this stems from antipathy or laziness, but this is the school's worst quality. I am very happy to be removing my child.

Posted April 24, 2009

jefferson was the best they always made us learend i liked when i was there and it may not look nice but the kids did that. teachers do not give up on the kids just to let you know.

Posted October 12, 2008

JMS is a great school. In my daughter's 6th grade benchmark math class there are about two or three students already starting 7th grade math! Mrs.Rubin is relly motivating my child to get her C into an A+.

Posted October 7, 2008

I am disenrolling my child from jms yet again to home school him. He attends class and cannot even get decent instruction due to lack of discipline and organization. The teachers have given up and do not care if the child learns. They'll pass the class not knowing the information and fail the state standards. I struggled with enrolling him there this year. He loves going to school, but he's already behind. California needs to get it together at their 'public' schools. Not everyone can afford to stay home and educate their kids. I am glad I can.

Posted May 15, 2008

Very unhappy with JMS. The only good thing there was the Music Program and one counselor. If you want your children to succeed and have a healthier environment, JMS is not a good choice.

Posted May 12, 2008

Do not send your kids to this school. My son has always been on the honor roll. Since starting at Jefferson his grades and self esteem have fallen. There is complete lack of supervision and absolutely no structure. Some of the teachers have no controll over their classrooms. If you attempt to solve problems by contacting the staff, you get nothing. This school is ghetto and its not an enviornment where your child can focus on what they are there for- to learn!

Posted February 3, 2008

My son is coming from a school on base that performs well, to Jefferson. We don't like it, even though he is enrolled in benchmark classes. I have tried contacting teachers about issues with school work with no response, and I don't feel they are being prepare well for state testing. We won't be returning next year.

Posted December 13, 2007

I was kind of scared to send my son to Jefferson, however I have high regards for this school and staff. I have been very very impressed!!!!! Good Job teachers and Principals and of course the security!!

Posted November 2, 2007

Jefferson middle school is great! The teachers are fun and great with helping. thanks Jefferson for giving me some great years to remember
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 1, 2007

it is a great school, the best

This school's

(2012)

3 / 10

4 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

3 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

4 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

191 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

186 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

304 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

300 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

325 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

333 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

336 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

334 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students32%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)52%
Parent education - college graduate51%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate23%
Parent education - declined to state29%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

• Marie Higerada De Ochoa
Fax number
  • (760) 757-5791

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now