Posted April 25, 2014
I agree with many posts about this schools decline. It decline is becoming more and more rapid. I already had one child graduate this school and when my eldest child was there Mrs. Gliesberg ran an outstanding school and my child succeeded excellently. I have another child going to this school under the new principal and everything mentioned by others is true. All incentives and awards are almost non existant but they're always asking for more money, supplies etc... A few wonderful teachers and staff have left the school over the years. Test scores are down and declining. Emails to the principal go unreplied. Also agree with parents not being curtious or following rules in regards to pick up and drop off it has been dangerous at times. This school is a shell of what it once was.

Christa Mcauliffe Elementary School 4

Posted February 01, 2014
This a great school, just some parents need to learn how to drive and park and be courteous to parent crossing guards. Now if you wonder where the money goes, attend a PTA meeting!!!! And if you don't like our school because it old then go to another one that is brand new, but good luck because all of those schools have a rating of 2!

Posted October 03, 2013
This is an outstanding community centered school. All the adults on campus including the principal, teachers and parent volunteers are centered on what's important - the well-being of our children. My children are thriving at this great school, thank you.

Christa Mcauliffe Elementary School 2

Posted September 21, 2013
Not a family friendly school any more. The principal has been there 3 years and is gone often, which is good. She has managed to single handedly alienate many families. Test scores have plummeted. No longer are there motivational incentives for the children. The principal's attitude is "My way or the highway." It seems as if she's trying to erase any trace of the previous principal's successes in running the school, hence the school is declining in quality staff, morale, and team work attitude it used to have. I know many parents have complained to the district, but they don't seem to listen. This school used to be as good as Ivey Ranch, no longer the case. Cannot wait to have my children out of there. Many teachers that have been there before this principal are wonderful, but they are leaving.

Posted August 18, 2013
FOLLOW UP to JUNE 6, 2011 review "just completed kindergarten..." Looking back, we were probably just very happy with the kindergarten program - they are, and continue to be, a well oiled machine! Since then, however; we have become increasingly dissatisfied. When we arrived in 2010, CM was an 8, today a 7. Our opinion regarding the principle has completely flipped: "not awesome" is more appropriate - entirely agreeing with the "my way or the highway" and similar comments made by others. Could this attitude be affecting moral among the staff and subsequently test scores among the students? Time will tell. As various PTA parents have "5 STARS & AWESOME!!!" posted, there is much to celebrate here aside from the principle and declining test scores. The PTA has done well to keep parents involved and informed and there is strong parental support . The teachers are good; and most do very well with what they've got to work with. That said, we didn't come here for "fine" "ok" or even "good". We came here for "great", which appears to be slipping away. Therefore, it is our opinion a change is needed soon or we're headed for a 6... which for us, is unacceptable.

Posted June 18, 2013
Agree 100% with review posted April 5, 2013. Quality for this school has dropped significantly since Principal Gleisberg left and Principal Wilcox started. As long as your child is compliant with their rules and expectations 100% of the time (which frankly, are NOT realistic for overcrowded classrooms populated with the occasional bright, spirited child) and has a quiet and meek personality, he/she will do just fine here. But if your child has special needs - whether a learning disorder, physical needs, or they are highly intelligent/sensitive/spirited - forget it. Do your child(ren) a favor and enroll somewhere where they will be valued for their individuality. I have had a child at this school for 7 years now and am extremely disappointed with how my child was treated this past year. The focus has shifted from caring about kids/families to caring about rigid rule enforcement. Communication between the teacher/principal and parents is lacking. Parents are not given needed information regarding new policies - but we are bombarded with almost daily phone calls and flyers about fundraisers. After 2 years of this, I am fed up and am looking for a new school for my child.

Christa Mcauliffe Elementary School 4

Posted April 05, 2013
My oldest started as a kinder at McAuliffe in 2001. A couple of years ago we got a a new school principal. The previous principal was phenomenal. She was obvious she CARED about children's success. The new principal has removed any award incentive for the kids. No more 'Student of the Month.' She will not work with families. This is a small community with children with older siblings having attended before them. It is such a disappointment that the new principal is removing activities and awards. The teachers that have been there for a long time are wonderful. The PTA is not the worst nor is it the best the school has had. It seems like them want their kids to be noticed because all the pictures they post of them any opportunity they get. It used to be neck in neck with Ivey Ranch, but since the new principal, Ivey Ranch has surpassed this school with test scores. So unfortunate. Only the old timers will know the difference because new families will never know how great this was and could still be.

Posted October 15, 2012
This is our 3rd year with kids at McAuliffe. The teachers at this school are fantastic and truly dedicated to helping our kids achieve their goals. While I am not crazy about the principal, the rest of the staff more than makes up for what she lacks. The PTA is very dedicated, and really works to include everyone in the activities they sponsor. To the reviewer who wondered where all the money raised goes, try going to a PTA meeting - ALL the money goes back into the school in support of teachers and students.

Posted October 05, 2012
I LOVE McAuliffe! It is upsetting when I read bad reviews about the school because I have nothing but fantastic things to say about the school. I have been a McAuliffe mom for 3 years now and have really enjoyed our time at the school. The principal is very open and always available when I need her and quick to answer any questions I may have. The PTA is a wonderful group of parents that you can tell really take pride in the school and only want the best for our kids. I have never felt pressured if I cant volunteer and when I can, I am always greeted with open arms. I feel the schools communication is great. Emails, flyers and Facebook are all ways to get the word out and keep us busy parents informed. The teachers are wonderful and from my experience, are totally open and available at any time. I am sad to read bad reviews about the school when child and my experience has been amazing!!! Thank you McAuliffe Teachers, parents and PTA. You have a great community that I am proud to be part of!

Posted October 03, 2012
What an AWESOME school!!! We have been at McAuliffe now for almost 5 years and have enjoyed being a part of such a great school. The new principal is amazing - very accessible and has made some great changes so far. The PTA - WOW , I can't even say enough about the passion they put into everything they do. They have set out to make McAuliffe more of a community and they are succeeding! They keep us well informed and because they are so friendly - they make me WANT to volunteer!! I have met so many wonderful families here. Lastly, the teachers - what a great job they do even with all the budget cuts. They are very dedicated and my children have LOVED every single one of their teachers that they have had. I feel lucky that my kids get to go to McAuliffe. GO CHALLENGERS!!!

Christa Mcauliffe Elementary School
3701 Kelton Drive, Oceanside, CA  92056
Last modified Christa Mcauliffe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Christa Mcauliffe Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top