School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

My daughter started kindergarten this year. She had previously been in preschool for almost 3 years where they were teaching her pretty advanced lessons like counting in the 1,000's and writing in cursive. I was worried she would be bored but that's not the case. She is thriving and loves school. I'm not sure how her teacher differentiates instruction so well, but she does. My daughter is already writing detailed stories! I can't wait to see how much more she will progress.
September 28, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 31, 2016
Yes, students experiences honesty, integrity, and fairness while attending school. I have never felt that my student was treated unfairly either.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted May 31, 2016
Thank you to the awesome office staff that goes above and beyond. They are the first faces you see when you walk in...and it's amazing.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted May 31, 2016
Respect is definitely taught at Mission meadows. Students learn to respect their teachers, peers, and themselves.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted May 31, 2016
There is a large special education program at Mission Meadows, and it really adds to the wonderful atmosphere! Kids are able to grow up along side kids with different abilities and learn from them. They host an " ability awareness" week at the beginning of the year every year to help kids learn more about kids who seem different than themselves. I see students interacting with these students and its always kind. You should have seen the cheers a special needs student got when he took the stage at the annual Variety show!

Posted May 31, 2016
Mission Meadows is a true community school. Dr. Porter leads his staff firmly and respectively and cares about the students deeply. You can see him most lunches walking the playground, and lunch area talking to students and interacting with them. He is a total professional too. He gets back to you promptly when you call or send an email. Another reason this school is awesome is the beyond wonderful office staff. I can't say enough about these people!! Michele Brown is the office manager and so easy to talk to. She goes beyond the call of duty and even does a Book club with the 5th graders during her lunch time!! Lorena Rosas is the front office assistant and ALWAYS welcome everyone who comes in with a smile. She is friendly and helpful. And lastly, Penny Capra was added to the staff this last year and she not only fits in well with the existing staff, but is warm and friendly also. They always try to help parents and resolve any issues. The PTA is also super awesome at Mission Meadows. They put on a Harvest Carnival that is beyond awesome that is not just fun, but builds community within the school. They seem to be ever present, putting on programs, and helping the school. My only beef with the school is that they don't seem to have as many field trips as other schools. I'm not sure why that is. But maybe that can change in the future. Either way, it's not a deal breaker.

Develops honesty: no rating

Posted November 18, 2015
- a school leader
Our principal, Dr. Porter demonstrates honesty, integrity and fairness everyday. He is out with students at recess and lunch as well as in classrooms everyday. He consistently teaches problem solving, peer mediation and how to treat people with respect all using the same qualities he practices everyday with students and staff.

Posted September 28, 2015
- a school leader

Posted May 15, 2013
Our child came to Mission Meadows with only a few months left in the school year. Our child feels welcome and has learned more than she did at her former school in a short amount of time. She has worked on subjects other than math, which was all the old school cared about. I highly recommend Mission Meadows!

Posted December 17, 2012
As parents of a 1st grader who began her studies as a kindergartener, we are very pleased by the leadership of Principle Mrs. Golden has exhibited. With staff she has established a no-nonsense, performance oriented learning environment. And with a wonderful caring environment at MME, our daughter enjoys school and is enthusiastic about learning. It is noteworthy to mention that it takes the involvement and attention of parents as well. Our daugher has excelled because of this combination. As importantly, Mrs. Golden and staff have responded effectively and without hesitation to instances were immediate, direct intervention was necessary. She and her staff have shown a willingness to exemplify an un-acceptance of bad and un-acceptable behavior. All in all MME is to us, a very impressive education center and we are fortunate to have this school available to us.

Posted September 20, 2012
Wow! What a great school. I just stumbled across this website and thought I'd add a few thoughts. First of all, initially, my husband and I were skeptical of enrolling our daughter in a VUSD school. We were wrong! Ever since our first tour of the school, in early August, by the principal, we have not stopped smiling. We can really see how our daughter is being pushed academically to be the best she can be. She loves waking up every morning and getting to school. The staff is amazing, her teacher cares so much and the principal is the most visible, dynamic administrator I could ever imagine. This is a great school.

5657 Spur Avenue, Oceanside, CA  92056
Last modified Mission Meadows Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.