No rating

Old Mission Montessori School

Private | K-8 | 157 students

Living in Oceanside

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $255,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,670.

Posted September 30, 2014

Great school! I can say this from both a parent and a credentialed/masters degree teacher perspective. My 5 year old and 8 year old girls are so nourished in this environment and are excelling in their education. This is the school to send your children to especially with the continued decline of the local public schools.

Posted October 23, 2013

I have four children who go to school here. I'm very pleased with the academic strength each one of my children receives. The teachers are loving and nurturing. The small class sizes and the two teachers per classroom is wonderful for the individualized attention. My oldest was two grade levels behind coming from St. Mary's (they have larger class sizes and only one teacher in the classroom) and he is now reading at grade level! You don't have to be a Catholic to attend school here, as they welcome all faiths. I would recommend this school to anyone in the North County area.

Posted October 23, 2013

I have multiple children at the school. My children have been at OMMS for almost 10 years, since they were 3 years old. The academics and community are unparalleled. The children are able to develop a confidence and social presence only a smaller school could cultivate. My children feel at home and can academically compete far above their grade level.

Posted October 5, 2013

Not worth the money. Poor academics and poor discipline policies. It's all about the money. Most of staff is nice.. Other than that . You are looking at a School which takes kids in just for the money. Poor academic scores. In part by staff not having the education needed to teach . Lots of special needs kids without any staff able to Provide appropriate education .

Posted February 11, 2013

I can not say enough good things about our experience here. The teachers and administration are wonderful. We have been attending here for over 3 years (Pre-K and Kinder) and have been extremely happy with the educational as well as the social aspects. The sizes of the classes are small and my children are well above many of their peers when it comes to reading and math. I cant speak to the middle school, but I am happy with the Jr Elementary as are the parents I know who send their children there.

Posted August 8, 2012

To sum it up, this school as a whole is priced high for the value received. My son in preschool learned how to read, so as for the all-day preschool, I would highly recommend the PRESCHOOL ONLY and as a huge plus, the preschool teachers are very loving! As for the upper grades, St. Patrick or St. Mary are better schools and if you take your child on a tour of all three, this school will be the last on their list and yours too. Take a look at the test scores. This is a good place for higher maintenance/needier children to get individualized attention. The pre-school and Kindergarten financially support the upper grades. The Parish is badly in disarray. The Camp Pendleton Soccer Mom parents are running this school, be prepared to honor them and their ideas, or suffer the consequences.

Posted July 9, 2012

Fantastic school, very pleased with the nurturing teachers, facilities and activities it offers. It truly has been a Godsend to my family's chaotic schedule. Daughter has done tremendously well, not even 5 yet and she's already reading.

Posted February 21, 2011

This is a wonderful school. It provides loving and nurturing family environment. It's a great alternative to a "cookie cutter" public school education. The teachers clearly care for the students well being and strive to tailor their lessons to their ability. The Montessori aspect allows the child to makes choices throughout his day rather than being instructed to do each task. Also, the curriculum includes a lot of variety which keeps my child excited and interested in school, which is the most important thing to me. He is exposed to animal, plant, history and art studies and sees the world around him as a classroom. This school truly inspires a love of learning and I am very pleased with my son's education.

Posted September 2, 2010

Great School, I love this place, faith builds here. I am a student there and have been having faith problems. OMMS really helped me and now I alter-serve all the time in school and parish masses. I do have a few things I don't like about this school, though. The after school sports are not held often, all that happened last year was volleyball and soccer for the girls. :-(. I am very into Montessori learning, and didn't really receive that in 4-5th Grade. Many good things happen at OMMS though, like: the teachers are excellent, the principal is very smart and KNOWS what she is doing, and the academics are very difficult, but not too difficult. (No, mom didn't make me write this, this is all me.) I am amazed at how well I fit in so fast, everyone had such big, warm hearts. Overall, 5 stars.

Posted March 16, 2010

OMMS has great potential but lacks leadership, discipline, and skilled staff for a diversified student body. The campus is beautiful but the facilities are not well maintained. Parents are too involved and meddlesome in classrooms.

Posted March 2, 2010

This is our first year here. Our child is in the 4th/5th grade class. The warmth, care and values at this school are wonderful. It is really a family environment. Up to 3rd grade is a more pure Montessori environment. After that they start transitioning the kids into 'regular' school style. Generally, class sizes are small with lots of attention. There are some afterschool sports, but it's limited, if that's important to your family. Every grade studies foreign language! Full-time Art and Music staff. Again, this school is small, caring and packed with good values.

Posted January 13, 2010

My children absolutely excell in the environment at OMMS. They are getting a well-rounded education and are very comfortable in their surroundings. It is a small school with lots of attention to individuals

Posted December 26, 2009

The school is detrimental to students who do not fit their idea how children should learn. The teachers and administration lack the background and education to deal with student needs.

Posted March 11, 2009

I LOVE this school. My daughter thrives in the environment and the parental involvement cant be beat.

Posted April 20, 2008

This school has a small town feel with lots of parental involvement. My childern are happy and above grade level in all subjects. They are also building a beautiful faith foundation. The school only lacks in after school sports.

Posted February 21, 2007

I absolutly love this school. The programs are wonderful, staff is fantastic and the overall atmosphere is supurb! There is a ton of parent involvement. I couldn't have been happier!

Posted November 12, 2005

Excellent personalized plan for our gifted student who did not have his needs met by public school. The teachers care and the environment emphasizes respect and excellence.

Posted February 20, 2005

great montesorri school. academic is very structured and very rigid. kids turned out very well.

Asian or Pacific Islander 9% 11%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Fr. David Gaa
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of San Diego

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4070 Mission Avenue