Colony High School

Public | 9-12 | 2285 students

Sweep tile

Posted October 3, 2013

This school really smells bad! How can anyone build a school right next to a dairy farm with all its manure?? How can any parent send their kid to school here??? Its not like you can ignore it. It smells bad every day!!! This can't be good for the students' health! If you are even thinking of enrolling your kids here, please visit the school first and take a whiff of that stench! You'll probably get a headache like I did, and get outta there as fast as you can.

Posted June 11, 2013

Many may have conflicting statements about this school, but my personal statement about this school is that it is wonderful. Some students complain about how horrible their school bc of the simple fact they do not want to work. Those students do not realize the privileges this school offers compared to other schools. For example, many other students who move from schools like Ontario high or Chaffey high notice the difference from the social and academic life here. Colony in my opinion is a great school, but in order for one to acheive greatness they have to work for it. Dont blame a school for a student's lack in work ethetic. High school is suppose to ready adolescents for the world, so if they do not learn to take responsibilities for their actions now, life will be a more challenging place. All in all colony has a great staff who ALWAYS Offer extra help to all students when needed, many students who are postive to associate with, and its honestly the nicest looking school in the district, along with Los Osos. Shout out to my homegirl Mrs.Sikes Love this teacher she is so awesome <3 Class of 2015 rocks ! Lol

Posted April 25, 2013

Colony is a great school. Better than most schools in Southern California. Great teachers, great academics, great activities. This school cares about the students. Definitely a 5 Star school.

Posted January 14, 2013

My son attended Colony from 2006-2010. He graduated without any major issues. However, as his parent, I know he could have done better. I experienced a lack of communication and from the teachers and a lack of administration support in dealing with issues. My daughter is now a freshman there under a new principal and I can say that I have noticed an improvement with communication from the administration and teachers. All my daughters teachers use schoolloop and keep it current which provides me with my daughters daily progress. I receive automated updates by phone on a regular basis informing me of whatever is going on and activities/services being offered to the students. I am pleased with the new principal. Academics and student success seems to be a priority.

Posted August 27, 2012

If your children attend here - be on top of their classes - grades and progress - the new administration let teachers encourage kids to drop needed classes - and not be responsible for teaching your kids - English teachers play movies most the year - loose students work and get their hair done in class - and still teach there. I can count on one hand the teachers that care about your students at this school - other wise to admin you are just a number. If you want your kid to have an academic challenge this in not the school to go to.

Posted August 7, 2012

Well, I will try to not appear biased here but I am very proud of Colony High School. I think in any high school it's hard to generalize blame which is what I see in some of the criticisms of Colony. In my many years of teaching I have found that students who WANT to excel DO and those who don't DON'T. High school is great training ground for life and more often than not when someone is putting blame on someone other than themselves or the student it's probably just an excuse. Truth be told most students at this school are very nice, and respectful, but the ones that soar do so because they are focused and they have a plan. They don't look for some magical event to happen, or blame someone for not caring. It's not going to happen in the real world so why would someone blame their failure on someone else. It's all about intrinsic motivation to succeed. I agree that all high schools have flaws but that doesn't excuse students from succeeding. I suggest anyone who broad brushes Colony as this or that is simply making excuses and should take a good look in the mirror first before blaming someone else.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 14, 2012

this school is cool and it teacher are good too and nice and its like a family to a student

Posted September 2, 2011

Colony is one of the better, if not, the best "southern" school in the Chaffey Joint Union High District. We cannot compare Colony to the "northern" schools since the demographic is like day and night but if you look at the Colony's test scores, it speaks for itself. Colony have been improving their API score ever since we open in 2003, except for one year, 07-08. (See www.movoto.com) It is not fair to rate a school base on the fact that a school appears to feel like a "prison" from a student's point of view because most school these days are fenced up for safety reasons. Colony's academics offers a variety of Honors and AP courses. ASB and renaissance are very active in producing school culture and pride. The sports programs are awesome. Football, basketball and track have won CIF champions. Compare to Ontario, Chaffey, Montclair & Valley View... Colony beats them all! Go Titans! :)
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 11, 2011

I have attended colony high school for about a week now, what i can say about this school is that it is horrible. I am currently a sophomore here; compared to my last high school, this schools technology is out dated and the school looks like a prison. The counselors aren't much help and most of the teachers have no motivation. The school smells everyday from the dairy farm right next to it. Some of the classes don't have a class set of work books. This is the worst school that I have been too.

Posted July 10, 2011

I hate this school. The teachers do NOT know what their teaching. They come late mostly everyday. We never do anything in the classes. Nor get homework. How do you expect to bring your test scores up when we're not doing ANY learning? The school looks like a prison. They don't even like their students. EVERYTHING goes down at this school. BIRDS ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE! It smells from the cows in the morning. NO shade.

Posted August 31, 2010

Poor teachers. Poor Staff. No freedom to students. No trust in students. It feels almost like a prison. I would never enroll my child in this school.

Posted March 23, 2010

Colony High School is a wonderful school! All the teachers and staff are very nice and take each student to higher education levels. The many clubs that they offer are wonderful, my kids all loved being apart of clubs and busy to keep them off the streets and from getting in trouble. I'm so glad and happy my children went/are going to this school. They really care

Posted March 5, 2010

Colony is wonderful school. I am a student and it has good teachers, good sports teams and good academics. I am full of Titan Pride, and I enjoy going to school most days. It is not perfect but no school is. I have been very successful thus far, and I am very involved. I play sports, participate in ASB and am still able to maintain a 4.6 GPA, had I challenge myself at school and I love my High School

Posted October 15, 2009

I have two children who have graduated from colony and gone on to a private elite school and a UC. The teachers at Colony work hard to challenge the students. Parents need to become involved and stay involved for all four years. Students need to be busy with activities (of which there are many at Colony) so that they stay out of trouble. A good school is created from a triangle, Parent, Student, Teacher.

Posted August 27, 2009

Colony High school is an okay school. It has a diverse population, and it is safer than most schools around the area. I graduated from there with good grades and I am now in a 4 year school. The thing is, my brothers and sister were the ones who told me all the things I had to register for and all that to prepare myself for college. Colony did not do a good job informing students how to get into college. The ladies who worked in the office were rude and grouchy and so I always avoided going there. They paid too much attention to sports so the clubs at the school never got any money. Most of the teachers were nice though

Posted August 5, 2009

This school is really great and its safe for your child and the teachers care and its a really nice and wonderful school

Posted June 7, 2009

I love Colony High School. Like all schools, it has it'd downfalls, but your high school experience is what you make of it. CoHi gives us the opportunity to succeed in life, it is our choice to take that opportunity and run with it.

Posted March 31, 2009

As a former student at Colony High School I have to say the school has some amazing staff and amazing resources. However, they aren't used to their potential. After 4 years at Colony I was often found angry with the schools way of handling things. I was often over looked and bounced around from class to class all because of the administrations stupid decisions. Thankfully for my parents and few teachers such as Hayden, Koester, and Bonneville I had some assistance when the school would not assist me. Other wise I like many other students at Colony High School would have had a hard time succeeding. Also btw I am & was a good student & I currently attend a 4 year school. I must admit Colony has potential if they were to use it and listen to their students needs and also clean up the school of bad administration.

Posted March 13, 2009

My son is currently a Jr. at Colony and it is assume. The teachers are very supportive and I feel that my son is safe we he is in the care of the school. As far as the principal, she is assume. The weekly reminders that we receive, via telephone on Sunday's helps busy parents like myself, keep up with what is going on at school. Great school

Posted January 25, 2009

I honestly can say that Colony is not the best school as far as academics are concerened. I'm on the girls Varsity basketball team, though, and the team, as well as all sports teams are great. Academically, the school needs some serious help though. I would have to say that Mr. Koester, my Geo teacher, is the best teacher i've ever had and deserves more credit for his awesome teaching skills.

This school's

-15

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

5 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

423 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

538 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

575 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

343 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

492 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

248 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

489 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

483 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

182 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

234 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

499 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

498 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students13%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)61%
Parent education - college graduate71%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate58%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students56%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)50%
Parent education - college graduate49%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate63%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

502 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

498 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students83%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 52%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3850 East Riverside Drive