Edison Elementary School

Public | K-8 | 766 students

Posted October 12, 2014

My daughter has been at Edison since Kindergarten and will graduate from 8th grade this year. She has loved her years here and so have I. Nervous about the GATE program and even the middle school years, I'm happy to say, my daughter is super smart and will be totally ready for high school next year. I've loved the great relationship she has had with her teachers and their continued encourement. I'm so thankful for all Edison has given to my daughter's education.

Posted October 8, 2014

Edison Academy is a great place for your student. I had my kid there for 7th and 8th grade so when I read this last post I had to speak up for our terrific teachers and for our terrific parent volunteers! I also have a kid in primary and yes the school is a bit overcrowded but it is a small price to pay for the rewards and academic success those teachers have achieved with the students .Amazing, amazing teachers! I also want to mention that I know the lady with the purple hair because she worked in kindergarten with my kids class and she is a pretty terrific lady. I was surprised to see her serving at the ceremony because believe it or not her kid was being promoted and there she was! Helping when she could have just been a guest like the rest of us. People help where they can and she helps a lot at our school. So what if she did not attend PFO meetings? A lot of us don't or can't! That school is full of parent volunteers who do many different things, My kids are big fans of the lady with the purple hair and so am I. That school should count her as one of it's biggest blessings, the students love her! Edison Acadrmy is the best school to put your kids in! Bet on it!

Posted September 21, 2014

I and several other families took our jr. high kids out of Edison. The school is over crowded and the 7/8 grade teachers are over worked. They cannot focus on the kids because they have too many responsibilities outside the classroom, from substituting as principal to trainings and meetings and even coaching. Initially we thought it would be a great choice because with less students the teachers would work harder for our kids but the opposite happened. Also we noticed that the PFO did not get much parent support and we all worked hard for those kids. Especially the eigth graders by raising money to help pay for their district trip and their promotion ceremony. PFO worked really hard and we raised a lot of money but we were not included in the events and some of us found out by parents who were there that the one mom with the purple hair was at the ceremony serving families and taking the glory but yet we never saw her once at our meetings or even lift a finger to help us raise money but yet she had no problem getting the attention.(former PTA) If you are thinking of Edison as a choice for your middle school. think again, this school is over sold!

Posted September 20, 2014

Standing in line this morning, talking with several other parents from other district schools, while signing our 8th graders up for a district trip.... everyone was comparing notes about their kids and asking eachother what school their kid attended. When I said Edison, and finished explaining about the junior high program, several of the parents commented that they had no idea where the school was, and didn't know it was a K-8th school. I told them that the only drawback was that it's a relatively small campus, with a huge student population (4 year olds all the way to 14 year olds - many of them taller than the staff), but all works out well.... with a dedicated staff and plenty of elbow grease from the involved parents. Another lady interrupts and says, "well, it's no wonder it's crowded... have you seen the schools scores? Everyone wants in there! " - I'm not gonna lie.... I honestly didn't know our scores (but was pretty sure we ranked good in comparison to the other schools), and I was more than happy to feel a little proud. Go Edison!

Posted May 2, 2014

Tonight Edison had its first talent show and I must say I am so impressed. Not only are our students given a first class education but also the oppurtunity to express their creative side. I love our school!!!! Christina Garcia Proud Edison Parent

Posted February 8, 2014

Having a closed campus isn't something new, we are just one of the last schools to do it. Now our kids will be receiving a quality education and be a little safer. Any problems we had in the past were addressed by the staff. We are very happy with this school.

Posted November 23, 2012

I have read all of the reviews, as well as some that are no longer on here before I left for the holiday, and I have to say how sad all of the negativity is on here. I know that people do not always see eye to eye but I think people lose sight of what is most important and that is our students education. As for the issue of trust, I previously gathered information from the staff, PTA, and the District and feel more comfortable with the situation. Coming on here and making things seem more than they are is only creating drama and a negative environment. I m thankful that my daughter goes to a school that gives her opportunities and enriches her education. I will pray for all involved that you may all find peace.

Posted August 16, 2012

This is my son's 2nd school year here. He started last year as a 4th grader in the GATE academy and although he was very nervous to start at a new school, the teacher and staff/friends made him feel very welcomed. I was super happy with his 4th grade teacher and now his 5th grade teacher. My son had raved last year with how much he loved the new school and how he calls Edison his HOME !!!!! I am so happy this school opened up the GATE academy and I love my son's teacher and the staff there. They pay attention to the kids and I love the support here !!!!

Posted November 6, 2011

Went to our first event at this school. Saturday they had a fall festival. The principal did a great Jon organizing this event! There was games for all kids! all ages! The pta put some good food together but their chocolate cake and desserts weren't good at all. The principle had the right idea with the carnival. She had a lot of game booth. The only negative thing is I hardly saw any teachers there. You would think the principal would make it mandatory. We might want to support them more if they did I mean its there school to. Had a great time! Hope they do it again next year.

Posted October 5, 2011

I am a new family at Edison Academy and I am considering taking my child out of the PM Kindergarten class she is in, only to find out that there is a waiting list for the AM class in same class.I talk to parents in the morning classes on Tuesday's and each Tuesday I get more fusterated with the quality of education my daughter is recieving. I don't know a whole lot about the teachers at the school but I clearly see that my childs teacher does not meet the standard. She doesn't even seem interested in the morning opening songs to engage her class. She depends on the other nice teacher to do those extra things with the class. Like the parent said below..nice is one thing but getting the job done is another. Where and when does the principal step and notice these things? I've never seen nor heard of a Kindergarten teacher teaching the class from her chair. As ridiculous as thatsounds it happens daily.

Posted June 5, 2011

Edison is a great school. The teachers and the staff are great people. I've never had any problems. I really miss Mrs. Parker.

Posted May 25, 2011

As for the staff, I ve seen many come and go and can honestly say I agree with the post about people not accepting change. Whether you agree with every decision in the end it s about educating your children and giving them every opportunity available which as a parent should be among your highest priority, along with keeping the safe and healthy. The school is only doing what they can to make sure every child has the best education possible. Think about what the staff and PTA do for the school. How many students they care for and how many hours they put in to support Edison families. Keep in mind it stretches from teachers, administrators, aides, custodians, office staff, and yes even to the PTA to keep the school running,

Posted May 25, 2011

While this is a forum for opinion, it isn t a place to attack people. Let me start by saying that I have been a parent and PTA member at Edison for over 10 years and I work at a school so I ve seen many a lot of things over the years. As for the PTA, I have in past years seen what people have referred to as a click . However, this year I noticed a shift, new activities/events, and openness unlike before. Although I can t attend all PTA functions I know that these parents work hard to support the staff and OUR children. I know enough about the PTA to know that they can be limited on what they can spend funds on. If you had a 6th grader and spoke with your teacher you d know that they ultimately have the final say on what the class party will be and when my child was leaving what was then 5th grade it was the parents that worked with the PTA to do something extra for the students. Please remember it is all VOLUNTEER and unless you re willing to do what they do you shouldn t really bad mouth them, especially if you don t know the ins and outs of the PTA.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 24, 2011

It seems that there are a lot of complainers on here that want to bash what they don't understand. First off, the new principal is a very friendly person who has made efforts to get to know all of her Edison family. She is brand new and cannot meet/greet every family by name like the previous principal simply because she hasn't met everyone yet. As for the PTA moms strutting their stuff, I am not on the PTA but I must say that they put in 100's of hours helping in the classrooms, fundraising, and providing activities and opportunities at NO benefit to themselves. They ve tried very hard this year to involve more parents and work hard to reach out to all who choose to participate. Edison every year puts on an event for the 6th graders. This school is making big improvements and those who take the time to constructively comment to those who can make a difference rather than hiding behind anonymous online websites would know that. It IS a good school and with the new academy it ll be a great school again, reaching out to all students academic levels.

Posted May 24, 2011

I have 3 kids who have attended Edison, my oldest is now a 6th grader, who will be leaving, & she is very sad at the prospect. i have found all the teachers @Edison to be incredibly helpful, & very caring. as for the edition of our new principle and her new ideas, change is hard for everyone, but for the most part, i see it headed in a good direction. i too, miss ms. parker, but i am unwilling to bad-mouth the new principle just because she didn't come up to me and personally introduce herself. maybe the mother who is complaining about that should of gone up and introduced yourself. i'm sure it's hard for a new, and young, principle to meet personally with every parent there. as for the PTA moms strutting around like "peacocks", i am one of those moms, and i'm sorry to say i don't have time to "strut" around anywhere, as i & the other P.T.A. moms, especially the president, were too busy running around making copies, buying things teachers asked for and generally helping out in classrooms, even if we didn't personally have a child in that class. & it looked to me as if the 6th graders enjoyed their pizza & graduation cake today. if one thinks they can do better, join & do it... kat

Posted May 24, 2011

I think I am an active parent of a child who attends Edison School. I have a child that will be going into Kindergarten & 2nd Grade for the 2011-2012 school year. Yes, I am a newer parent at the school and have seen the change from the previous school year. As a whole I think the change has been for the better. PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS OPPOSE UNFAMILAR THINGS. Any concern I have had, I have approached the principal or teacher I have had a question & was given an answer that met my expectations. I think instead of slandering the people who volunteer their time to benefit ALL the children who attend the school should take the time to say a simple thank you to the parents who stay to make copies, take the initiative to be an extra hand in the classroom when the teachers are doing they're best to make our children's education the best it can be with our states budget crisis. The PTA president walks around the school always with a smile on her face and never asking for a thing in return but a simple thank you goes a long way. For the people who complain where are your ideas? and a new principal deserves and chance not to be disrespected. It doesn't make for good moral. Proud Parent- Sasha

Posted December 2, 2008

I think its the best school in the district I love the teachers and the principle they work very hard for these kids!!!!!!!!!! Go!!!!!!!!!! Edison

Posted November 16, 2008

I do agree that Edison is a great school. I have helped in the classroom a number of times as well as taken work home in order too be of assistance to the Teachers. I also know many parents who do and have done the same. There are many ways to help and volunteer aside from helping in the classroom. Teachers should be supported in the best way possible and if they choose to not have a parent in the classroom they may very well have good reason, afterall it is their class and perhaps a parent may prove too be of more help from home. I dare say other times parents may prove too be a distraction or even a niussance, I feel Edison Teachers display too much class and respect to express this openly to a parent they may not desire in the classroom. Go Bobcats!

Posted November 14, 2008

Edison is a great school! I feel that the staff and Teacher are the best in the area.

Posted October 6, 2008

I think that this is one of the better schols in the district. The staff is wonderful. The teachers are dedicated to helping their student succeed.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

n/a
General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students67%

Gifted and talented94%
Parent education - high school graduate95%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)85%

Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 7%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Jennifer Harrison
Fax number
  • (909) 459-2698

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Computer lab

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

515 East Sixth Street