Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Hawthorne Elementary School 5

Posted February 07, 2016
The school just received accreditation as an IB International school in which an international perspective is taken and cross curricular themes are taught. The teachers are fully invested in implementing the high academic standards of an IB school. Enrichment activities as well as after school activities revolving around sports and dance are offered to the students regularly. A new principal has set a very relaxed and welcoming atmosphere.

Hawthorne Elementary School 5

Posted May 19, 2014
My son has been at Hawthorne since kindergarten he is now in third grade, the school has improved so much. They have a great assistant principal, a great PTA and the teachers are really good. My daughter is just finishing kindergarten and will be there for first grade. I love Hawthorne and I am so happy with what it's becoming.

Posted May 21, 2013
My family and I are so happy to out of this school. The office staff is totally incompetent, they are a teir one low performing school, there are many bullies and many kids that dont speak any English and the teachers still speak spanish to them instead of encouraging English. The kids dont care if they learn anything and its very dirty and unkempt..

Posted September 12, 2012
I would not recommend this school for any child, the administration does not allow parents to walk their children on to campus in the mornings, and children are discplined by sitting in the vice principals office or principals office in a chair and forced to stare at a red dot on the wall. I pulled my children from this school after seeing how the students were treated , and my children were not ones that were "discplined" by the red dot. I feel that the administration is far more focused on their academic score and becoming an IB school that the welfare of the children and actually caring about the children and being compassionate and connecting to the kids. If your child is not a high performer or has any "behavior issues" beware.

Posted August 26, 2009
My nephew just started attending this school. I don't know much about it but before this school he was going to Stoner Elementary School in Culver City and I did notice that @ Stoner he learned a lot and he always had homework. Now at this new school he says he does'nt have much homework I wonder why I mean he is in first grade so what is he learning.....??????//

Hawthorne Elementary School 4

Posted May 21, 2009
The teachers that we have had are fantastic! They really care about each student and their success. We have really appreciated that!

Hawthorne Elementary School 2

Posted September 12, 2007
The teachers at this school are WONDERFUL, but the mandates from above give them no creativity in the classroom. All I see are worksheets. My first grader doesn't want to go to school! There are a lot of challenges for this school to overcome before it would deserve a higher score.

Posted August 28, 2007
I am so pleased with Hawthorne school.The staff is very hard-working and caring. I know my children really like coming to school. When I had a problem the principal worked with me to make sure everything was taken care of. The parents at Hawthorne school work really hard also to make sure the school is good. They volunteer in the classroom and do the carnival.

Posted August 20, 2006
This school is very poor in listening to the parents concerns.

Hawthorne Elementary School 4

Posted October 05, 2005
The academic program was very good, my daughter's first grade class curriculum including important science and social science concepts in addition to lots of math and reading, although, I would like to see more art included. The school places a strong emphasis on good citizenship among the pupils and has a very active PTA which sponsors many fieldtrips and fundraising events throughout the school year. I find the school uniform policy to be a plus. Overall a very good school.

705 West Hawthorne Street, Ontario, CA  91762-1599
Last modified Hawthorne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.