El Modena High School

Public | 9-12 | 2207 students

Posted May 21, 2009

I had four sons and three nieces who attended El Modena between 1994 and 2007. I saw many changes at the school during those 13 years, some good and some bad. Three were honors students and graduated college and grad school. They did fine at El Mo and in college. Two went into the military and their experience at El Mo was less than stellar. Two were jocks, and saw many changes in the athletic program. One had terrible problems with teachers, and staff, some of it his own doing and some of it problems with prior administration. So the school is great for a self motivating honor student or a jock who needs grades for college but for a 'sweat hog' or student not interested in school, better off somewhere else with more supervision and more caring staff

Posted December 1, 2008

Both of my students were open enrolled at El Modena. My oldest was well prepared for college and has now graduated early from a UC with a double major. My younger son is also in college and well on his way to a double major. Like most schools El Mo has some good and bad aspects and is an easy target to blame when things do not go well. But in my experience both my sons were well prepared for success at the UC level.

Posted August 9, 2008

I could not get my child out of the school fast enough. The staff was 'just doing time' and the safety was a Great concern to us. We would not ever allow a child of our to attend there again!

Posted January 28, 2008

My first daughter did alright because she was fairly self motivated. My second daughter does not really care about school, though, and was failing almost all of her classes. Nobody notified me. By the time I found out it was almost too late to do anything about it. I went in one morning to talk to her counselor, and she let me sit there and did not acknowledge me for 20 minutes. Finally I left. This is not the school for unmotivated kids who need a little extra push and attention.

Posted August 24, 2007

I have a son who has been there for two years. The school overall is probably a little better than most CA schools. Some teachers are good (English honors), some are terrible, most average. Like most CA schools, wayyyy too crowded. Worst aspect is no accountability for teacher quality, but probably the same at most CA public schools. Good sports program.

Posted August 2, 2007

As a former parent and stepparent of 3 El Modena students, I would have to say that my experience was less than positive. The counselors seem to push the junior college route even to well prepared and accomplished students. The teachers are a mix of good and awful. The athletics at the school are determined by the individual sport. Some good, some not. It seems as though the coaches however do not stick around. With the exception of the wrestling team and I beleive girls track and football (a few years back) The school morale is very low. There is a lot of animosity among students. I had all three types of students there. The sporto, the scholar and the problem child. 1 went through, barely with my intervention, the other 2 left the school and excelled in other schools. I would not recommend anyone send there child there.

Posted February 27, 2007

I went to El Mo for less than a year and HATED it! I am very confused how all those parents are saying there kids went there and loved it, they must have been the ASB parents. The whole school was huge disappointment. The teachers were uninterested in the students, except for the ASB kids or problem students. If you weren't in that group, Good Luck getting any help or guidence from the teachers.

Posted January 24, 2007

I think this school is a great school.I currently attend ELMO and I have for the most part been enjoying my 4th year here. The teachers are wonderful and very caring but my peers on the other hand are another story; much like most high school. Overall I would highly recommend ELMO.

Posted January 13, 2007

My child goes to Elmo and I am looking for other school options. The teachers and administrators are disappointing. Most teachers have no concern about educating the students but just working for their salaries. The concept of discipline at Elmo is enforcing the rules rather than teaching the ethics of life to the students. Teachers and counselors, administrators must first open their mind and look at the bigger picture before they can convince the young life the positive side of education.

Posted January 3, 2007

El Modena is outstanding, especially with it's AP program, it probably has some of the best teachers Orange County has to offer. The school has high parental involvement with a very active ASB. The principal's new clean campus committee, leaves the school looking beautiful as well.

Posted October 24, 2006

No matter how great the teaching staff are, the classroom size is too oversized to count for anything.

Posted April 8, 2006

As a former student of this high school, I saw many things that both helped the students and things that didnt. One of the things that I saw that helped the students was the fact that many of the teachers took time out of their busy schedule to help and educate students. that is one of the best things I remember from this school. The negative feed back, I guess you could say, is that many students got away with many things. I should know, my friends and I did.

Posted March 22, 2006

My god son attended El Modena last year and the parental involvement was wonderful. While he did have a couple of teachers who were totally burned out and overwhelmed, the majoirty if them were caring, sincere and had the student's best interest at heart. I am trying to get my daughter into 'elmo' next year. One of the few public high schools I would even consider sending my child to.

Posted March 22, 2006

Good school, great sports program. Parental involvement is great, some communication concerns as far as certain teachers but overall I had no problems with my daughter's stay there. I would recommend.

Posted November 12, 2004

CTP program is excellent!

Posted June 3, 2004

We are Elmo Alumni's, and our child goes to Elmo, and we are sorry to say, that our other children will not be attending this school. It seems as if there is no supervision on campus, or at off campus events. What ever happened to the no tollorance program - for everyone? Discipline, or lack there of only comes when the schools reputation is at risk, not when the students need it and is not constistant. They do not address administrative problems, and do not deal with issues relating to the staff. We are very unhappy with this school and the way it has chosen to handle certian problems.

Posted February 23, 2004

I was a student Class of 2002. I loved El Mo. There was so much school spirit you couldn't help but be proud. There was some drug problems but not huge ones. I felt accepted by my peers regardless of race, class, or sexual orientation. I learned so much from teachers and peers alike. They used to have the best choir and drama programs but since the old teachers retired last year (2003) I've noticed that they are going downhill. Well overall El Mo was a great and wonderful experience for me.

Posted February 15, 2004

I had two sons go through El Modena High School. Both had nothing but good things to say about their high school experience. As long as they keep their A.P. classes and honors classes as respectable as they are now, El Modena will prove to be one of the most outstanding high schools in the Orange County area.

Posted September 26, 2003

My daughter graduated from El Modena and my son attends there now. I have always been very pleased with the academics and athletics at Elmo. But the thing that makes me proudest is the community atmosphere where everyone is respected, regardless of one's race or income level. Some of the richest kids in Orange go to Elmo and some of the poorest do, too. But they are all respected as equals by one another, by the faculty and by the community.

Posted September 9, 2003

I taught at El Modena for 36 years. I do not agree with the one comment that has been made. Elmo is a great school in a diversified area. The teachers love and care about their students. We have an excellent fine arts and performing arts department that trains students for college. Our athletic department promotes healthy competition and provides great outlets for all that teenage energy. We offer more AP classes that any other school in OUSD. The principal is on top of things and works well with the staff, students and parents. All three of my children went to ELMO and they are also proud of their school.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

10 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

10 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

311 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

275 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

217 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

468 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

435 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

529 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

243 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

526 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

570 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

209 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

209 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

457 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

482 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students31%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)75%
Parent education - college graduate90%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate88%
Parent education - declined to state50%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students20%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)82%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate95%
Parent education - declined to state58%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

575 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

575 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students88%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab