El Modena High School 4

Posted July 31, 2014
This school is probably the best high school in the county. Few schools in OC will provide an excellent honors/AP program in a cultured & diverse environment. Let's face it, OC youth is known for being privileged & spoiled therefore because of it's diverse environment El Modena grounds its students & allows them to be more humble and thoughtful about the society they live in. All high school student bodies are cliquey, but ElMo is overall a welcoming and united community. The teachers are very involved in student activities & are very accessible for extra help. The only department that needs reorganizing is the science department since a lot of excellent teachers left. ElMo has one amazing & dedicated math teacher who teaches three levels of math and provides tons of before and after school help. It does need more math teachers & I hope they start paying attention to hiring more dedicated staff like Mrs. Lissner! I recommend all students to take honors & AP classes because they are one of the most challenging & rewarding classes you can experience. The sports department is excellent for anyone interested in softball, or baseball. The football team is laughable but we embrace it.

Posted July 25, 2012
My daughters freshman year at El Modena HS was wonderful. From the first day of registration 2011/2012. The staff and students were kind and heplful. She met new people became good friends with several of them. She joined track n field & cross country. She still continues to get outstanding grades in her Honor classes. Thanks again to the staff and students for making her feel welcome with open arms. Keep it up VANGUARDS!

Posted March 12, 2012
El Modena High School is a great school for your child to attend. The teachers are dedicated and motivate the students. There is Wednesday tutoring available for students. The ASB and school spirit is wonderful. The principal and staff is very proactive. Parents receive messages at least twice a month about upcoming events or what is happening at the school.

Posted October 10, 2011
An outstanding staff, terrific kids, and supportive parents make El Modena a shining example of what a high school should be. In my 20+ years in public education, I have never seen more committed, caring, or capable instructors. I work at El Mo, and I can assure you that my own kids will be attending there. Go Vanguards!

Posted May 27, 2011
El Modena has been a fantastic school for my children to attend. They have an excellent honors program, a principal who is so devoted and excellent at what he does, and real school spirit! It is ranked high in the state when compared to similar schools and has high AP test pass rates. I think this has been a great high school experience and am proud to my kids are Vanguards!

Posted January 29, 2011
Interesting comments by the last two reviewers--one about lack of pride in El Modena and the other about punishment. The school provides an outstanding education, which is why it is ranked 10 out of 10 when compared to similar schools and an 8 out of 10 statewide. It also has some of the highest AP pass rates in Orange County. El Mo graduates attend some of the finest universities and colleges in theb country, including Harvard, Yale, Stanford, UCLA, and many others. El Modena does set high academic and behavioral expectations for students, but these are clearly communicated and constantly reinforced. The staff really does not tolerate students who defy those expectations, so if your child is out of control or simply unmotivated to do what is asked, you can expect consequences.

El Modena High School 3

Posted January 18, 2011
It's an education, nothing more. I never really attached myself to the school, I honestly could care less about school "pride" in a high school like this. I'm a senior here, and it seems the school focus more on sports and supporting those in it than those actually trying to get an education anywhere else. However, decent programs for graphic arts, just received new computers and programs this year (Adobe CS4 (all programs in the pack), 3DS Max 2011, Maya 2011, Mudbox 2011, Motionbuilder 2011) classes in graphic arts/animation were my favorite, great teacher! However I can't say the same for a good number of other teachers for other basic classes. Most of them are mixed, you get good teachers, you get bad ones. Overall, its simply an average high school. You get your diploma and move on to better things.

El Modena High School 1

Posted December 10, 2010
My child at this school is not very pleased with the system that El Modena High School has to offer. I have been in the office speaking with my child's counselor and it seems to me that punishment is more of a priority than getting students ahead such as my child. It is very hard for a parent to go to work and know that my child has to go through such a poor education system. The problem is the staff in general, the teachers simply do not make El Modena a good place to be. The area is nice, however, the teachers and other staff members make the experience a waste of time and government money. This school needs to be changed for other students are going into the school constantly, and the main thing which makes it worst are those who are graduating. To see those unprepared with a diploma is a difficult struggle. To know that students are being treated as unprepared adults makes the whole "American Dream" a joke. This needs to be accounted for a serious matter this is not an exaggeration.

Posted October 19, 2010
I LOVE EL MODENA HIGH SCHOOL! There are so many things to be proud about when being a Vanguard. The students get along with one another, teachers are fantastic at what they do, especially the English department, and there is an overwhelming amount of school spirit! I love my school!

Posted October 19, 2010
I am so fortunate to be a student at El Modena. The teachers are incredible in the sense that they encourage and motivate us to strive for our goals no matter how unreachable they may seem, such as passing an AP test. The administration works hard to make our school a safe and fun environment that enables us to learn and grow into the young adults we wish to be. What more can you ask for?

El Modena High School
3920 Spring Street, Orange, CA  92869
Last modified El Modena High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
El Modena High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 58 reviews. Top