Orange, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted May 09, 2014
Thanks to its growing Mandarin Immersion program , new Principle and new PTA members . It's thriving to achieve new goals and set new standards for OUSD .

Posted December 10, 2013
Fletcher Elementary is on the road to success, being lead strongly by the new Principal Ms. Nelson. Her passion for student success is evident in her support of the school's MIP. Parents come be a part of this change .. the PTA is waiting and wanting to do more for these kids they deserve it they are the future.

Fletcher Elementary School 5

Posted October 21, 2013
We have enrolled our child in the Mandarin Immersion Program and the teachers and principal have gone above and beyond our expectiations. The staff at Fletcher is committed and conduct monthly meetings to update the parents and they are very responsive to our needs and concerns. For example, I sent an email with a serious concern to the principal and teacher and they responds in less than 12 hours and called me personally to address my concern. It is not easy for one teacher to teach 20 something kids and I don't expect the teacher to be able to tailor the education for my child or give one to one attention to my child. So, I am supplementig him at home with additional work books. This is a team effort and the teacher and I communicate regularly. I love how the school has a superbuck/ rewardi system where the kids get these superbucks for good behavior and on certain Fridays, they get to go to the superbuck store to get prizes. That is an excellant idea that we have adopted at home. I have nothing but high regards for the MIP teachers and principal at Fletcher. Just wait and watch. Those state scores are going to soar!

Fletcher Elementary School 5

Posted October 09, 2013
We looked at many public and private schools before deciding on Fletcher, namely for the Mandarin Immersion Program. It was the best educational decision we have made for our child. Our experience so far has only been positive. The teachers and staff are wonderful and we've been very impressed with the new principal, Mrs. Nelson. The school was modernized over the summer with SMART boards in every classroom and new computers in the computer lab. The PTA has a strong membership this year filled with very active and engaged parents who want to see this school succeed. As for the MIP program, it is an understatement to say that we are impressed with the program and teachers. We consider this program a gift for our child and the ability to speak Mandarin as an incredibly useful tool for our global society and economy. Our child enjoys school so much that Fridays are are worst day of the week and Mondays are the happiest. Fletcher is not the same school that past reviewers have negatively described. This school is clearly thriving and growing in a very positive direction and we're happy to be a part of the process.

Posted June 27, 2013
This school continues to decline. There are teachers there who do nothing but yell at the kids. The teachers dole out discipline unfairly and unevenly, playing favorites with the kids of "good" parents and targeting the kids with "bad" parents. My sons friend son was targeted for having designs carved into his hair because it was "distracting" but no one says anything to the kids with the Mohawks and rooster comb hair cuts. Teachers are not there on time, kids are left unsupervised on the playground until their teacher decides to show up. When I stop by in the morning to meet with his teacher at 7:30AM, she doesn't bother show up until 8:00AM even though she is supposed to be at work at 7:30AM. My son also says that the teachers don't supervise the playground and it is very scary how rough the kids get. My child told me that his teacher never picks them up on time from recess or lunch. I think the only goal of the teachers and principal here is to ignore their responsibilities and build their own egos by bullying kids and parents as much as possible. No wonder the kids aren't learning and no one wants to join the PTA or have their kid go there. On to private school.

Posted September 19, 2012
In response to the teacher, Fletcher Elementary has been in the bottom 50% as far as statewide test scores, for a decade. Fletcher's scores had a spike in 2011 (up some from 2010) but are right around the 40th percentile for the state. Maybe all schools are "on the way up" as you indicated (except the one in LA) . That I don't know and will have to research. What I do know is that Fletcher is not doing well over all. I also know that my daughter has had a couple of incidences in which she was treated poorly by staff. As a result, this parent is resentful and distrustful of Fletcher as a whole.

Posted August 01, 2012
My child went here for five years but at that time it was a good school now its trash the foods are way to oily and it just tastes bad the teachers are horrible they don't teach at the level they need they also don't do levels that kids need there on group well i say this school is horrible and trash and last year lots of kids left like my child because of the language and bad academics my child did not want to leave because her friends but last year she told me in "tears that please to take me out of that school" and of course i did and I'm never going back ever i also give this school one rating of unsatisfactory.

Posted August 17, 2011
It is obvious from the reviews on this website that some people are simply ignorant of how schools actually work. First, the principal does not have a choice as to whether combo classes are created. Most schools have them. If there are too many students at one grade level for one class and not enough for two, how would you solve the problem? If you have a better solution than our school district, please enlighten us. Teachers must be assigned according to how many students are at each grade level. That is a fact in every school, not just this one. Second, the scores on the 2011 CST at every grade level, except one, in L.A., Math and Science rose in 2011. Some scores rose dramatically, one from 16% to about 56%. Obviously, we are on the way up, not down. Many programs were put in place last year and teachers gave many hours of their time to help our diverse population. It worked. With workers rather than quitters, scores will continue to climb. I would urge everyone, rather than ranting and raving, to look at the facts, and if you find a problem, present a solution. As I tell my students, "Winners make the grade; whiners make excuses."

Fletcher Elementary School 2

Posted July 13, 2011
This school continues to go downhill. The principal keeps combining grade levels so teachers can't even teach one cirriculum and don't have the time for two. Teachers like Mrs. Finch, Mrs. Stephens and Mrs. Lee are excellent teachers but can't keep up with principal demands being moved around, combining grades, etc. She refuses to listen to parents. Scores have dropped in the years she has been there and continue to drop. The kids are suffering because of it. I have to come here and hate every minute of it. I will keep trying to transfer out at all costs! The parental involvement is the only thing keeping this school afloat.

Posted February 27, 2011
It is amazing that all I read from the parents and others is from the parents that have moved on. There must be something here that keeps you coming back,. for some of us we cant move do to the fact that we cant find a way there or cant get in to other schools. We make do with what we have. We help our kids the best way we can and thats being there for them. For you down below to bash the PTA, please that is the last thing on a parents mind. Some of them (PTA) do wonders for the school and like any other school some dont. We as parents need to come together and do what we feel is right for children. If that means moving your child its ok but dont put us down for staying here. That makes you just as bad. I am sorry that you have had to move and it did not work for you here but that is how things work, so lets all of us move on and enjoy the schoois that we are in, good or bad.

Fletcher Elementary School
515 West Fletcher Street, Orange, CA  92865
Last modified Fletcher Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Fletcher Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top