Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

My son had two teachers that were pretty good and two teachers that were horrible

I was so excited when my Child had been picked for the lottery to attend McPherson. I will round so say it's the biggest educational mistake I've made in his life. And his kindergarten class of 30 students only 11 remain at the school. The education for it being magnet school is subpar. The technology, or lack there of, is astounding. It has had years of inefficient, and Inept administrators Who are completely overrun by a group of domineering parents. The more money you donate to the school the more buying power you have. In addition to over involvement of parents, there is a pervasive bullying problem. So many parents and went to school with a false sense of what the school is.

I recently graduated from McPherson(I cried tons), and I loved it! Parents if you don't want to have to work with your child so they can succeed at such a family oriented school, McPherson is not for you. I've heard people say that once they were not volunteering as much, they were given "worse" teachers or weren't treated as well as other families. A) there aren't really better teachers, some are more strict than others. But I noticed looking back all of them cared about me equally. The year I had my toughest teacher I completely changed my work ethic, graduated with honors ,and I was in ASB. B) If you feel like your student is being placed in a more strict classroom it is probably because you have become busier and haven't had much time to work with them. Resulting in them working more on their own, so they need more guidance at school. C) It's crazy to think you're being treated differently, obviously you are going to interact less with people there if you are not volunteering. It's hard to keep up a relationship with someone if you don't talk to them. I enjoyed my time being a McPherson Meteor. There is no doubt I will go to the carnivals, and I will definitely be visiting.

Despite the horrible bathrooms and small campus, McPherson gives a lot to the students. Many of the teachers personally care for students and are willing to help with any situation. The office staff is super friendly and helps out on any case. Yes, some years stood out more than others, but sticking around to the end granted so many memories and great opportunities only McPherson offers. The science program gives so many unique opportunities that not many kids at other schools are given. Laptop program prepares students once you step into the 21st century. Little Buddies give both the little Buddy and Bug Buddy memories that last a lifetime. I don't know why anyone would not want to come here.

So relieved my child will no longer attend this school after this year. My family has watched this school go downhill for years. We were here with our older child when it was good. The few good teachers are reserved for the parents who are friends with them and the principal. Before my wife went back to work, she was able to volunteer a lot and helped the teachers do their job and our daughter always got the "best" teachers. That ended when she had to return to work. Bringing back a former vice principal won't fix things when he did nothing when he was there to make things better. Families are constantly shook down to make donations which is hard for some of us who are working hard and just getting by. The 6th grade program is a nightmare and parents have complained for years and they are just now talking about making it better. For the few teachers who were good, we are grateful, but my daughter had more that were not good and we regret sticking it out for so long. We will be moving her out of the district for high school. I wish the good teachers well but the rest should wake up and realize they are lucky to have a a well paying job and stop complaining.

Great school. I agree with previous review.My son started kinder and graduates 2014 from 8th grade. McPherson number one in the state.

Every school has it pros and cons. McPherson Magnet has a lot of PROs. My child has been there since Kinder and is ready to graduate. There are quality teachers and a lot of them have been awarded Teacher of the Year. (Do they have some lemons?... Yes!) The PTSA and Education Foundation has worked tirelessly to update the school facility and technology (Is more needed?...Yes!). The parent volunteers are outstanding. I've heard over the years the District has hindered the school progress by not granting it money like other schools. However, McPherson has overcome through generous donations. Overall, it has been a Positive experience.

I agree with EVERY negative comment on this site. It is very unfortunate because it used to be an amazing school that made learning fun for ALL the kids.

West orange!!!! It's the best school in Orange County en a like all the programs for this campus!!!

It's not what you think. I had my child at this school since K-7. I felt the teachers also dumped all homework at the parents, wanted to take less responsibility in teaching. Not sure why they had the distinguish school award and in my opinion in lacked on it. I noticed teachers would pick favoritism students. All the teachers my child had thorough out the years have all been long gone. It made me wonder why? McPherson is not what it used to be the staff has changed. This school started focusing in kid s behavior nit picking about everything instead of educating them. My child is now very happy at the new school, likes all the Teachers. I must add that the new teachers have giving my child a new perspective on education that it can be fun learning. Mc Pherson teachers made my child feel like a failure. I knew then it was time for us to leave before my child hated school. Thanks a lot McPherson! Another thing that bother me is why are some parents getting their own space parking with theur last name on it? This is a public school.

Last modified McPherson Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.