Orange, CA

Posted August 13, 2014
I recently graduated from McPherson(I cried tons), and I loved it! Parents if you don't want to have to work with your child so they can succeed at such a family oriented school, McPherson is not for you. I've heard people say that once they were not volunteering as much, they were given "worse" teachers or weren't treated as well as other families. A) there aren't really better teachers, some are more strict than others. But I noticed looking back all of them cared about me equally. The year I had my toughest teacher I completely changed my work ethic, graduated with honors ,and I was in ASB. B) If you feel like your student is being placed in a more strict classroom it is probably because you have become busier and haven't had much time to work with them. Resulting in them working more on their own, so they need more guidance at school. C) It's crazy to think you're being treated differently, obviously you are going to interact less with people there if you are not volunteering. It's hard to keep up a relationship with someone if you don't talk to them. I enjoyed my time being a McPherson Meteor. There is no doubt I will go to the carnivals, and I will definitely be visiting.

Posted June 13, 2014
Despite the horrible bathrooms and small campus, McPherson gives a lot to the students. Many of the teachers personally care for students and are willing to help with any situation. The office staff is super friendly and helps out on any case. Yes, some years stood out more than others, but sticking around to the end granted so many memories and great opportunities only McPherson offers. The science program gives so many unique opportunities that not many kids at other schools are given. Laptop program prepares students once you step into the 21st century. Little Buddies give both the little Buddy and Bug Buddy memories that last a lifetime. I don't know why anyone would not want to come here.

McPherson Magnet School 2

Posted May 20, 2014
So relieved my child will no longer attend this school after this year. My family has watched this school go downhill for years. We were here with our older child when it was good. The few good teachers are reserved for the parents who are friends with them and the principal. Before my wife went back to work, she was able to volunteer a lot and helped the teachers do their job and our daughter always got the "best" teachers. That ended when she had to return to work. Bringing back a former vice principal won't fix things when he did nothing when he was there to make things better. Families are constantly shook down to make donations which is hard for some of us who are working hard and just getting by. The 6th grade program is a nightmare and parents have complained for years and they are just now talking about making it better. For the few teachers who were good, we are grateful, but my daughter had more that were not good and we regret sticking it out for so long. We will be moving her out of the district for high school. I wish the good teachers well but the rest should wake up and realize they are lucky to have a a well paying job and stop complaining.

Posted April 11, 2014
Great school. I agree with previous review.My son started kinder and graduates 2014 from 8th grade. McPherson number one in the state.

McPherson Magnet School 4

Posted April 10, 2014
Every school has it pros and cons. McPherson Magnet has a lot of PROs. My child has been there since Kinder and is ready to graduate. There are quality teachers and a lot of them have been awarded Teacher of the Year. (Do they have some lemons?... Yes!) The PTSA and Education Foundation has worked tirelessly to update the school facility and technology (Is more needed?...Yes!). The parent volunteers are outstanding. I've heard over the years the District has hindered the school progress by not granting it money like other schools. However, McPherson has overcome through generous donations. Overall, it has been a Positive experience.

McPherson Magnet School 1

Posted October 23, 2013
I agree with EVERY negative comment on this site. It is very unfortunate because it used to be an amazing school that made learning fun for ALL the kids.

McPherson Magnet School 3

Posted September 13, 2013
It's not what you think. I had my child at this school since K-7. I felt the teachers also dumped all homework at the parents, wanted to take less responsibility in teaching. Not sure why they had the distinguish school award and in my opinion in lacked on it. I noticed teachers would pick favoritism students. All the teachers my child had thorough out the years have all been long gone. It made me wonder why? McPherson is not what it used to be the staff has changed. This school started focusing in kid s behavior nit picking about everything instead of educating them. My child is now very happy at the new school, likes all the Teachers. I must add that the new teachers have giving my child a new perspective on education that it can be fun learning. Mc Pherson teachers made my child feel like a failure. I knew then it was time for us to leave before my child hated school. Thanks a lot McPherson! Another thing that bother me is why are some parents getting their own space parking with theur last name on it? This is a public school.

Posted September 10, 2013
This is a great school! The teachers are dedicated and want to instill a sense of belonging to children. My child feels safe and cared for. My child is learning much and its more than academics-it is a community and a home away from home here.

McPherson Magnet School 4

Posted August 15, 2013
I am shocked to read so many negative reviews about McPherson. While I agree with some of the complaints (bathrooms in need of repair), I also believe that politics exist at ALL schools. And there are great teachers and not so great teachers at ANY school. This is not an issue exclusive to McPherson. This is our 5th year there, I am a very involved parent, and I have never witnessed rampant gossiping between teachers and parents. I also don't mind that parents are sometimes involved in assessments and grading papers. With class sizes being so large at ALL schools, it is impossible for teachers to do it all. I have always felt that anything I discussed with teachers regarding my child was always kept confidential. I have never worried about other parents disclosing my child's progress or lack thereof. If others have had these issues, I believe they are isolated incidents and not typical occurences. I am very pleased with the Magnet portion of the school. I believe McP excels (as they should) in Math, Science, & Technology. I went to private school and McP has that same private school feel. Maybe McPherson isn't the right fit for every family, but it is the right fit for mine.

McPherson Magnet School 1

Posted August 09, 2013
We transferred our kids to Mcpherson, believing all the hype that it was a great science and technology school. We were greatly disappointed by the quality of education and the lack of professionalism at the school. Too many teachers are lazy, dumping their work on the parents. Parents assess the students and even do some of the grading! There is no confidentiality! The lack of professionalism at this school is pervasive. Teachers are buddies with parents, and gossip is rampant! As for the technology, they have less than most Title 1 schools. A computer lab and some expensive projectors is all...projectors that they have difficulty maintaining because of the cost. The school grounds are old too. The bathrooms are disgusting!! And don't expect the administration to do anything about it because any complaint you have will fall on deaf ears. The principal lacks the backbone to truly lead and be decisive. We have removed our children from this school. I would sum it up by saying that while the vision/mission of the school is attractive, it falls very short from delivering any of it. If you are stuck there, I suggest going straight to the district if you want to be heard.

McPherson Magnet School
333 South Prospect Street, Orange, CA  92869
Last modified McPherson Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
McPherson Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top