Posted June 10, 2014
Keep your kids away from this school as it has been in a downward spiral for quite a few years now. The Principal position used to be shared between two semi retired principals that split the time up. It left them constantly out of the loop. Thinking the latest principal addition would benefit the situation has actually only made things worse as she is now hated by both teachers and students as she acts like she is better than any of us and shows it consistently with no time to spend on parent or staff concerns.

Posted May 17, 2014
My child spent their entire 6th grade year wasting away. She has been given 3 exams all year in math. Science was spent listening to the teacher regal the joys of his neighbors and personal life. No focus on reading. Other classes taught by other teachers with no communication skills (except screaming insults on the playground). The goal at Pershing for 6th grade is to prepare the students for the "middle school" experience. Worried about your 6th grader going to Middle School? Don't be, they will get all the bullying and indifference they need from Pershing! Good job! Hopefully I won't have to take 3 jobs to pay for my child's tutoring so they can get through 7th grade having missed crucial 6th grade material. Middle school won't have the Pershing lunch lady who gives free lunch handouts to the district employee kids who don't qualify for reduced fee programs. She has a big heart because these kids come to school with a carrot stick and slice of ham so slips them a freebie. It is not what you know; it is who you know!

Pershing Elementary School 4

Posted December 05, 2012
The school is excellent however one of their 3rd grade teachers is not so great. She is punitive with the children and does not allow parents to participate in the classroom with the exception of a couple with whom she chooses to work. She made my child feel anxious for not knowing how to read at age 7 yrs old. Rather than trying to help and TEACH Mrs. Laret chose to make my child so upset as to not want to attend school

Posted September 28, 2012
Student Safety is not this schools priority and the principal puts the protection of the school before the safety of the children and then chooses to not be forthcoming about it to the parents.

Posted July 26, 2012
My kids love Pershing and so do I. Over the last couple years there has been lots of teacher and principal turn over, but our new principal is a keeper! I'm looking forward to another great year of learning.

Posted August 13, 2011
We love Pershing Elementary. The teachers are amazing and help is available if your son or daughter is struggling in one of the subjects. The faculty is very supportive and they, too, work hard to make sure your child's experience at the school both fulfilling and enjoyable. My son is in the first grade and although there is a lot of homework, most of it is review from the day. For a public school, this one is fantastic!

Posted August 12, 2011
We moved from another state that had high state ratings and were very pleasantly surprised to see that this California school well exceeded the curriculum our previous state. Much more homework, which is a great thing and challenges both of our kids. I don't understand it when parents complain if there is a bit more...I would think parents would want their kids to learn more. Isn't that what school is all about? The teachers are great and so patient and helpful with the transition to their new school. I highly recommend this school. They encourage parent involvement and so willing to help with everything. I am thrilled to have our children in such a great school!

Posted June 03, 2011
I am a parent of 2nd grade and 4th grade RL (Rapid Learner) students. This has been a great year! The teachers are great, principal is great and will be missed. My children are challenged and happy. Their self esteem is strong in part because of the excellent environment they are in. I would highly recommend this school to RL kids and neighborhood kids. AND don't let anyone tell you the homework is too much or there is too much pressure in RL. If your kids are smart they rise to the challenge. There are not hours of HW. HW is very reasonable. If you have a commute, do it for your kids. You will not regret it.

Posted June 18, 2010
With three children at Pershing, and this being our family's third elementary school in various states, we are VERY happy with our experience here. Mrs. Mellerup (principal) is a great listener and responsive to concerns. Parents are highly involved. Family activities abound to meet other parents. The Rapid Learner program is an OUTSTANDING program for our children who really benefit from advanced curriculum and yet the school has a wonderful balance of not making neighborhood students feel any less able. Their motto is: Pershing--were every child is gifted and some are rapid learners. I recommend it highly.

Posted February 04, 2010

Pershing Elementary School
9010 Pershing Avenue, Orangevale, CA  95662
(916) 867-2076
Last modified Pershing Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pershing Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top