Oxnard, CA

Rio Del Mar School 1

Posted September 25, 2013
The campus is new and beautiful, and the administrative staff is courteous and professional. However, this school's enrollment consists of mostly Spanish speaking families. I'm surprised to see how many parents do not speak English, and are not trying to teach their children English. Parent information and homework packets were given to us in Spanish with the English translation on the back. Although I agree that most Americans should know both English and Spanish, this is America where English is the primary language. This is obviously affecting the students' academic performance, as test scores show to be below CA state average. We are moving out of this beautiful Riverpark neighborhood for the sake of avoiding this awful school (and district).

Rio Del Mar School 3

Posted July 06, 2013
The Principal is a wonderful caring, hand-on principal.. always on the front line talking to parents & students.. as well as my child's teacher Mr. Messecar . Both gave 110% and always helped my child to the best of their ability. The office staff was very sweet! With that being said the NEG is that there is a very strong cultural focus on Latinos only as far as menu of meals and cultural background are concerned and sometimes my child being picked on because she is not Hispanic and there were several situations where she needed help and there was no English speaking staff member around to help her at lunchtime. She always had to get another student to translate for her. That is unacceptable. EVERY member of staff should speak English! No exceptions!

Rio Del Mar School 5

Posted June 12, 2010
Awesome school activities and support! I encountered the greatest staff and parent volunteers. The kids were having a great time! Keep up the great work!

Rio Del Mar School 5

Posted June 12, 2010
Rio Del Mar is a school on the rise! Great principal, great teacher, good community spirit. Our new school has awesome smart boards in the classroom bringing technology to the fingertips of our kids. THey have a great library, computer learning, and great parent involvement.

Rio Del Mar School 2

Posted December 25, 2009
I have to say I do like the teachers my kids had in K and 3rd. They are sweet and smart. The school staff is a different story. They have no control over the kids during lunch or recess. LOTS OF BULLIES! I have to find someone that speaks English before I can get help. Most parents are not involved in anyway. The aids and lunch workers have no idea how to talk to children or parents... My children will not be back G-d willing.

Rio Del Mar School 1

Posted October 13, 2009

Rio Del Mar School 0

Posted November 11, 2008
I have a pre-schooler and a 1st grader that attends this school. I really believe that this school is very committed with their students. My 1st grader loves his teacher. He loves going to school. I love their pre-school program. They incorporate learning and playing. You can see the children are always happy. I hope that this keeps up. And I would love to see this school to be the best in Ventura County!

Rio Del Mar School 4

Posted September 27, 2007
My son is a preschooler and so far it has been a great experience for him and he likes his teachers, they are also very informative about everything and very patient.

Rio Del Mar School 3

Posted July 11, 2007
The school didn't seem to have enough music or arts, although that seems to be the norm anymore. Sports were taught well enough, but the staff seemed to yell a lot, and had a difficult time keeping the kids under control. There were parents who were very involved and then some who seemed not to care at all. The academics were taught on a very stricked schedule... you definately didn't want the little one out of school because it was a struggle to catch up. The staff was very nice though, and strict.

Rio Del Mar School
3150 Thames River, Oxnard, CA  93036
Last modified Rio Del Mar School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rio Del Mar School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top