Pacific Grove, CA

Robert Down Elementary School 1

Posted December 16, 2014
Overall this school lacks innovation and creativity because the leadership is shortsighted and unwilling to take risks. The Resource Program is stuck in the dark ages to the point of being oppressive and children with learning disabilities do not receive equal curriculum opportunities as do students without special needs. Children with learning disabilities are often removed from the classroom for drill and kill work in outdated workbook programs like Reading Mastery, a program the school has used with little change for more than 15 years for K-3 students. Reading Mastery teaches children to read mainly through repetitive, visual learning modalities which works for some students, but not for many, especially students with dyslexia. I knew of one parent whose child had been in the same resource program using the exact same materials for over 4 years with little progress but the school did not try to use alternative programs with this child. Sometimes, one size does not fit all. This school will benefit from taking risks including trusting that children with special needs grow from challenging and diverse curriculum that engages rather than bores students to tears.

Posted August 28, 2014
My family moved here from SF specifically to attend Robert Down. My wife is a teacher and we are both Ivy league educated so we understand the value of education and how difficult it is to create and maintain a great school. I have friends w children attending SF private schools paying $40k per year who have stated they are jealous of our school and community. RD may be the best value on the planet. Supply and demand dictates many things. Try to rent a 3BR home in the Robert Down district, its nearly impossible because so many want to attend the school.

Posted April 28, 2014
Robert Down Elementary school is truly excellent. The principal is great, very reasonable and no-nonsense. The teachers are very experienced and handle children of all types with ease. The school has great learning facilities and approaches to teaching and learning. They have plenty of very well organized fun events for the children and parents and it really brings people together to feel part of the community. If you work in the Monterey Peninsula area it is worth moving to Pacific Grove just for your elementary school age kids to go to this school

Posted December 01, 2013
My child attended RHD for all 6 years and we couldn't have been any happier. We had excellent teachers, great admin support and the principle is top-notch! I volunteered in class every year and was always greeted warmly by the staff! My child had outstanding grades every year and is now in middle school continuing to have outstanding (4.0) grades. I recommend this school to anyone living in our district! Keep up the great work Otters!!!!

Posted October 06, 2013
I like the School in particular. I am very dissatisfied by the politics of the Administration. Which is supported by the Administrations Superintendent and his Assistant Superintendent. They do not truly encourage parental involvement, as they claim like many schools want parents to participate. They have gone out of their way to knock down one individual who was very interested in the Kindergarten Program and its overcrowding. The Principle has since the beginning of 2013 -2014 school year to banned him because he has a supportive but non-participatory group of parents listening and expresses his thought in a group e-mailing. I was not interested in being involved, as I had heard from previous teachers that they (The School District) will drag anyone down that stands up to them for the students entire school years at PGUSD. Their agenda is not the same as the parents they represent in all cases. If I were to do it again I would have gone to the school board meetings and spoken up, as he did. Then again would I have been banned as Disruptive or Assertive? A parent in the middle at RHD

Posted August 26, 2013
Amazing school with great parent participation. Had a horrible 5th grade teacher which is now teaching second and hoping that they'll figure out to be rid of her after this year. Principal is great and overall it is a wonderful school. Seems like there is always one bad apple...

Posted August 25, 2013
This school is a wonderful place! Our child attended RD for almost three years. When an issue arose, the staff and principal were wonderful. The community is a nice blend of locals and military. The teachers are committed to their students and welcome a parental partnership. I can't say enough good things. Even a "weaker" teacher is superior to where we moved. When we discovered we had to move early, our child's 2nd grade teacher (Mrs. Johnson) looked up where her new school was to make sure the transition would go smoothly. We miss it dearly and wish our child's new school was as warm, welcoming, professional and committed to an excellent education as RD.

Posted May 05, 2013
I love the small town feel of this school. Parents are welcomed on campus, and even drive on field trips. Tons of hands on learning and outings. Very relaxed atmosphere. Teachers are extremely willing to work with individual needs and learning styles. (And, I don't simply mean IEP, I mean each and every student!) Negatives: My kids have attended 4 different elementary schools, and I have never seen such "clique-i-ness" in this age group, as I saw here. Similarly, I noticed the administration was very quick to label students, and definitely "played favorites." Overall though, without hesitation, I would recommend this school to my closest friends.

Posted January 15, 2013
There are some fabulous teachers and lots of parent involvement. Fantastic field trips and they still get art and PE . One thing I feel the school is missing is a better writing program. Big Write for example where the child can identify his or her weaknesses and work on them with efficiency rather than getting a good job after a 2 page paper. I feel like some teachers have fallen into only giving out ditto and after ditto and do not check the progress of the children's work. I wish the management who is very involved otherwise and helpful to parents would get more involved in checking how involved the teachers are with students. The principal has such a tight bond with her teachers which is great but teachers still need to be monitored occasionally to check quality of learning.have had some excellent teachers but i feel like one of my students is wasting the year in a class where his work is never checked, handwriting is left without comment and the only form of teaching is giving out dittos and free homework passes for more completed dittos. Don't worry most teachers are great and go above and beyond with out any management checking some do need a little push.

Posted May 22, 2012
I absolutely LOVE this school. I have 2 children who attend RHD, 2nd and 4th grade. Both teachers are great, communication between the families and teachers is good, the education my children have received is superb and the school is very organized. I could go on and on! All schools will have some flaws but RHD has very minimal. My children are happier than ever and so are my husband and I.

Robert Down Elementary School
485 Pine Avenue, Pacific Grove, CA  93950
Last modified Robert Down Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Robert Down Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top