Pacific Grove, CA

Pacific Grove Middle School 2

Posted March 23, 2014
Very disappointed. No foreign language, no honors or accelerated classes, even for kids who are clearly ready to do more challenging work. The entire GATE program consists fof a variety of "lunch clubs" that any kid can drop in or out of at will. My child has virtually 100% in every class with minimal effort. When over 75% of the school makes "Honor Roll", this is not a reflection of how amazing all the teachers are (although there are some really wonderful teachers at this school), but more a reflection of the low academic expectations. This ridiculous "one size fits all" approach does a real disservice to the many bright, talented kids who are pushing to do more. These kid are NOT ready for AP and Honors high school classes after 3 years at PGMS and many end up really struggling in their 9th grade year, when teachers expect higher level work of them. This school is capable of so much more and I just don't understand why the administration seems content to be just barely average.

Pacific Grove Middle School 3

Posted September 17, 2013
I looked everywhere for more information regarding this school before we moved here and could find only a few scant reviews. This school has some very good teachers and some nice kids, but overall, the level of academics is very low. They lump all the kids together, saying that they don't have honors or GT classes because "90% would be in honors class", but that simply isn't true, and isn't backed up by the test scores. If your child is a below average-average student then I suppose this would work, but there is absolutely nothing available for the child who is gifted or working above grade level in any way. It was a real disappointment to see my child doing re-doing work that she has previously mastered in past years. The social environment is pretty rough as well, with lots of verbal bullying and roughhousing. The principal says he takes bullying seriously, but I very rarely see him, or anyone else from the administration, out by the school before classes or after, when a lot of the bad behavior occurs. Lunchtime is a free-for-all. I know the budget is always an issue, but I've seen schools do much more with less. Overall, this school is strictly average, nothing more.

Pacific Grove Middle School 5

Posted May 05, 2013
My son attended PGMS or 2 years. I was very pleased with the teachers and office staff. The principal is first rate!

Pacific Grove Middle School 4

Posted October 08, 2012
This school is wonderful!! I have been homeschooling my child for three years because everywhere I have put her in school the children have been very mean and absolutely wicked. We enrolled her for eighth grade and she LOVES it. My daughter can't wait to get back to school on Monday because she has so many friends. Every weekend she has something to do with her friends. She says there are some kids that do drugs and get pretty bad grades but there are only a few. These kids tend to be the more popular kids and my daughter stays away from then anyway so they don't bother her. The teachers are wonderful and if you have trouble understanding the lesson taught Pacific Grove Middle has lunch clubs for homework, math, music, and other clubs such as Glee club. The music department is absolutely amazing!!! My daughter is in advanced orchestra first chair cellist. She loves the instruments and the teacher. The sports there are great as well. My child just tried out for the school musical The Music Man and got a great part and all her friends are in the musical too. Over all, this school is a wonderful place just as long as you choose the right friends and you stay focused in class.

Pacific Grove Middle School 5

Posted September 22, 2010
PGMS is a very good academic school. Do not rely on the previuos reviews, LOOK at the test scores. This year's API is 905. Near the top for the entire STATE ! My son attends & is excelling. The Band program is unsurpassed, he's played trumpet since 5th grade . (Did you know that over 90% of band students go on to college.) It does not have a good athletic program, our YMCA is strong for that. It is very small town America. As for the 1 review that said drug use was an issue...AGAIN, check w/ the local police, you will be pleasantly impressed with PG's extrordinarily low crime in general...you will RARELY see drug related activity in this middle school. This is the place to raise your child in a safe environment....let me just add that my son is a minority (black/hispanic) and we have no problems.

Posted September 13, 2009
Ad a parent I agree with the previous student review. It's a small-town school with California values. Band programs are A+++, however, so if music is your bag, this is the place to be. The school has produced the same kids, parents & teachers who all want to return & keep recycling their families through here. Sent my kids to a lot of schools and this one is not quite par. Nice kids, though, and a pleasant principal. (That counts for something!)

Posted July 27, 2009

Posted March 27, 2009
This School is HORRIBLE! I am not satisfied at all. The teachers don't really teach you the assignment for the night, and you end up asking your parents. And they also give you at least 7 pages a day for homework, which is basically reviewing work. I can't believe that this school got chosen as a 'distinguished' school by California. This school is a mess.

Pacific Grove Middle School 4

Posted November 01, 2008
This school has a great music program and encourages you to learn more. it has great electives and bearley any bulls the staff is willing to help with any problems and will always be there

Pacific Grove Middle School 0

Posted February 11, 2008
Other than the outstanding music program, this school is not up to par.

Pacific Grove Middle School
835 Forest Avenue, Pacific Grove, CA  93950
Last modified Pacific Grove Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pacific Grove Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top