Marquez Charter School

Charter | K-5 | 587 students

Posted August 17, 2014

I am a Marquez parent and live a few blocks away. I am a former LAUSD math and science teacher. We have been at the school 4 years now and have loved every year. The teacher quality is amazing and the other kids are kind and considerate. The school has incredible enrichment programs including a 1:1 iPad/laptop ratio. Our kids are thriving and I am happy to know such wonderful people. We LOVE Marquez and can't say enough positive things about it. Marquez fosters learning, creativity, independence and character.

Posted April 28, 2014

Serious principal problem. She is nice, and that's it As of 2012, it's a disaster admin. wise. VP changes every half year or so. Parents avoid the principal and try to work around dealing with her.

Posted April 25, 2014

To the parent below who, I quote, "Those few of you who do not pay your fair share of family donations are free-riders and should be ashamed!" SOME PARENTS ARE SINGLE PARENT HOUSEHOLDS WHO CAN'T AFFORD TO SPEND AN EXTRA DOLLAR IN FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTION, it all goes to bills & food for our children. I paid my classroom fee & donated my time because I didn't have extra money to donate. How about you save $$ by giving out less fliers/paper, or donate the demanded $10 per household for the families who can't afford it on top of their class fee. Your statement alone shows the snobbery & close minded behavior of those at the school. You are probably just afraid your property value will go down if this school had bad reviews. My child, who was an A student, when introduced into a far superior academic school, also rated a 10, was NOT properly prepared by Marquez & had to catchup. Public School is just that PUBLIC, there is no such thing as free loading in PUBLIC SCHOOLS especially when parents are devoting their TIME when they can't afford to give their money. You prove that this school is classicist & superficial, & does not prepare the students for their next venture, or the real world.

Posted April 10, 2014

My daughter from Marquez Elementary School a few years ago and I feel compelled to write this review. Maybe compared to other LA Unified school Marquez is superior, but it is far from being great. There is inconsistency in teachers, some are very good and some are very bad. The families with political pull which are favored seem to get the better teachers. The families are unfriendly and very cliquey. It is easy to become an outsider. There has been quite a bit of turnover in principals over the years - some are good and some not so good. If you try to get anything done in the school, it is near impossible - lots of red tape. All in all, elementary school is supposed to build a foundation for future learning. Marquez does not, doing the bare minimum. If you have the financial means and the inclination, you will have a much better learning experience at Corpus Christi School, Calvary Christian School, or St. Matthew's Parish School. If you decide to go the route of private middle school/ high school, administration will pull for their favored people and everyone else is on their own. Not a good experience.

Posted August 15, 2013

Marquez has been a fantastic school for my three children and the COG and the PTA do an outstanding job. We were blessed with Mr Hollis but now are enduring Ms. Williams. Unfortunately, the role of principal does not suit her and she sorely lacks leadership skills and communication skills. Issues are ignored or brushed aside and every parent I know is discoraged by her lack of experience. We are very fortunate to have great teachers but would LOVE a new principal to truly lead Marquez.

Posted August 14, 2013

I have done quite bit of research on most of the private schools in the westside and save for 2 or 3, Marquez is comparable with most academically and what they have to offer. My son is incredibly smart, rambunctious, and a little immature (albeit sweet natures) so I had reservations about how he would be received but my 3 yrs at Marquez have dispelled those doubts. Despite being restricted by LAUSD criteria his teachers have found creative and challenging ways to keep him engaged and in love with school. THE UGLY TRUTH: LAUSD does not offer the extras due to budgetary constraints, we make for it by fundraising. Marquez IS A HEAVY FUNDRAISING SCHOOLS but without it our classrooms would have 5-10 extra bodies ea AND our teacher's would double as PE, Science, Music etc teachers in addition to other extras (like technology etc). The school is tucked away in a partially isolated community; many families choose this areas because it seemed to provide what they were looking for so is it expected that there may be some groupthink? sure. BUT there is a lot of groupthought from well meaning parents. Overall, I love the school and my son loves the school!

Posted July 7, 2013

Great teachers and dedicated parents. Wish we had more schools like this in Southern California.

Posted May 7, 2013

Our family moved to the Palisades because of the public school's reputation. Successful fundraising is one of the main reasons Marquez can offer so much more than your average public school and we are grateful to all of the parents and families who work so hard to make the school as good as it can be. Being able to walk to school and go to birthday parties and play dates with our neighbors is a blessing. Our complaints have been with the principal and an appalling lack of leadership. There is a fundamental cultural shift that needs to happen on campus, from the front office to the TA's. Since the 2-years-new principal has been in office, there has been no overarching vision or sense of a moral code. Parents' concerns are routinely brushed aside. Small problems become big problems unnecessarily. But our experience with the families and the community have been wonderful.

Posted April 30, 2013

To those few (or one) below who griped about fundraising, get a grip and pay your fair share! Most Maqrquez families are hard-working and not wealthy, and we make sizeable donations to the school when asked because we appreciate that our children attend a great public elementary school with wildly substandard public funding. WIthout supplemental funding from parents, our school would not be able to provide science classes, "media lounge", PE, gardening, music, smaller class size, teachers' assistents, and many other amazing opportunities that enrich our children's experience. Those few of you who do not pay your fair share of family donations are free-riders and should be ashamed! Unlike the unhappy reviewer(s) below, I have only had positive experiences with teachers and other parents. But maybe that's because I am not a free-rider who tries to avoid making any contribution to the community. If you want to be part of an active community of caring, engaged parents, Marquez is a great school. If you want no responsibility beyond letting your child in and out of your car at the curb, then Marquez may not be the school for you.

Posted April 24, 2013

If your child's teacher doesn't like your for any reason, watch out. This happened to us as well as some of the other parents that I knew when my child attended Marquez. The teacher will take it out on your child by grading them wrong, marking their attendance wrong, covert bullying, among other tactics. Marquez has great ideas, the implementation of said ideas is ridiculous. They have student plays during school hours & if you can't attend you are made to feel guilty & frowned upon. If you are a single parent, beware, some teachers, not all, but if you get that 1 or few that look down upon single parents watch out. Your year will be complete hell & regardless of your own education level you will be spoken down to & treated like a lowerclass outsider. The ONLY redeeming value is that some parents are aware of all of the issues & literally go to school with their child to keep an eye on things, if your child is friends with that child then you have a parent looking out a little for your kid if you can't be there. A parent shouldn't have to do this. They do not prep the kids for the real world. Kids are in a bubble. None of the kids that I know who go there will be ready for JR high.

Posted April 24, 2013

The only thing this school cares about is the API scores, $ for attendance, fundraising, and keeping their property value high and the school & neighborhood not ethnically diverse.

Posted April 23, 2013

People rate well because they value their property$ & Classism. Marquez is lacking. Some teachers expect children to be in class even if they are contagious & sick. Children are afraid to tell the teacher they are ill because they don't want teacher to yell at them or be vicious. Some teachers will threaten to hold your child back due to "to many illness related absences" even if you have doctors note & your child isn't behind. They can't legally do this but they will threaten. If they let the kids stay home instead of spreading flu/cold/etc other kids wouldn't get sick so often. The monthly projects are ridiculous. The homework load is out of control. Favoritism & class-ism is common. If you donate $ you get to pic your teacher. I have to re-teaching my child what was supposedly learned that day at school & my child isn't special needs. Some of the teachers just don't teach, they send homework home & expect you to teach it. Oftentimes homework was sent back graded wrong giving the equivalent of a C when it should have been the a B+. Drop off/Pick up is terrible. People who donate $$ park in the pickup zone & get away with it. All they care about are test scores & $ for attendance.

Posted November 12, 2012

Great school in a great community with an ocean view for my kids right from the playground. Being a public school, there have been many challenges with the budget and yet the community has worked together to donate money to the school to maintain enrichment programs - arts, science, music, PE, a media lounge (more than just a library) and small class sizes (no class currently has more than 25 kids). When I was a kid we took a lot of those classes as a 'given' at school but not now. The teachers are well educated (a few are even ex-lawyers) and the parent volunteers help make it a community. The Principal is new but my kids adore her and respect her. When she disciplines them, they listen. Her positive attitude with the kids is 'don't say what we don't want but instead say what we do want - such as "thank you for walking" instead of "don't run". She's definitely focused on the children. She's great. The school comes across as a private school and yet it's a public school. I say this because of the programs and the education my kids are getting.

Posted November 11, 2012

I currently have two kids at Marquez, and have been an involved parent for the last 9 years. Our current Principal has been with us for approximately 15 months. During her short tenure at our very large public school, she has done an excellent job of focusing on the top priority items for our students. She has built up an excellent relationship with the students, in her kind and dynamic manner. She demonstrated excellent listening and communication skills to resolve the budget problems for this fiscal year, resulting in our smaller class sizes. While she is still learning how to manage the myriad of issues that come to her, I think she has handled the high priority issues that impact our students very well. Over the last 9 years, there have always been differences in opinion about how well a Principal prioritizes certain issues raised by parents. It's healthy to discuss these issues openly at school, but the fact that a concern remains unresolved does not necessarily mean the Principal is ineffective. Personally, I have great confidence in our Principal, and predict that she will have a great future at Marquez, with parental support.

Posted November 10, 2012

Teachers are excellent, especially with the smaller class sizes they have more insight and can draw out more from your child. The Principal is ineffective, unapproachable and out of touch. Maybe she'll get it in a few years as the Friends of Marquez will never let her go. Volunteering in classrooms as a parent is great but in the greater sense it is hard to get anything done in public school and quite frustrating, catty and unfulfilling. Volunteer in your church or your particular cause.

Posted October 26, 2011

My kid went here from k-5....love this school!Too bad Paul Revere Middle School is not as great:)

Posted June 23, 2011

Marquez is an amazing school. The use of technology is 1st rate. Their STAR after school program is awesome. Your child can choose from so many different activities with really knowledgeable instructors.

Posted June 23, 2011

Marquez is an excellent choice as a school. The Principal is very effective and will listen to your point of view. The computer program is 1st class. The teachers are caring. The after school program - STAR, offers every class you could think of. My child was in the theater class and the end of the year production was fabulous. My child is always happy to go to school and never wants to leave because of all the great classes after school.

Posted February 28, 2011

We transfered into this Marquez when my older son (now an honors 7th grade student getting straight A's at Paul Revere) was in 1st grade. In his years at Marquez, we were never disappointed with any of his teachers, if anything, we always felt that he ended up with the teacher each year that could supply him with the tools he would need to excel the following year. He absolutely, loved 5th grade and in our opinion, the teachers did an incredible job in preparing him for the jump to Middle School. He went on to have a great 6th grade experience and is continuing on this track in 7th grade. His younger brother, now in 1st grade, is following in his footsteps. He enjoys school as much as his older brother and although he is a different type of student, he is also doing well! Our experience with the teachers and faculty has always been excellent and we love the principle Mr. Hollis! Any "small" issues, which have been purely social, have always been quickly resolved in a very thoughtful manner once brought to the attention of the faculty. An all around great school which I am happy to drive my kids to each weekday!!!!

Posted December 20, 2010

This is an incredible school with an amazing staff of caring and creative teachers. I can't say enough about all the wonderful programs and teachers they offer. LOVE principle Phil Hollis!!!

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students86%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Language learning

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Spanish

Health & athletics

Staff resources available to students
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 352 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

District average

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from: