Bad
Good

I am a parent of a 5th grade student who attended Marquez last year. She had such a wonderful experience, ALL teachers were inspiring, insightful & caring. She had an incredible year of learning and because of the way history is taught in 5th grade, through music and plays, she has developed a love for history that she never had before. She is doing very well in middle school and what she learned (and the way she learned) at Marquez has been so useful to her academically in Middle School. The families we met at the school were wonderful and very inclusive. Yes, they have had a lot of principal turnover but the teachers are the heart of the school and our family cannot say enough good things about Marquez! Wonderful!

We have had two kids at Marquez, now one, for the past 4 years and we love this school. The class sizes are small, the people were friendly right away when we moved in, and every teacher we've had has been very good or great. Of course there is a lot of fundraising--it's inevitable nowadays, but it results in small class sizes, half-groups with the teacher for language arts instruction, and art, music, a specialized science teacher with two dedicated science rooms, PE twice a week, and a Media Lounge. The volunteers are dedicated and welcome parent participation. My older child is now at Revere and he felt well prepared for the Honors track there.

I am a Marquez parent and live a few blocks away. I am a former LAUSD math and science teacher. We have been at the school 4 years now and have loved every year. The teacher quality is amazing and the other kids are kind and considerate. The school has incredible enrichment programs including a 1:1 iPad/laptop ratio. Our kids are thriving and I am happy to know such wonderful people. We LOVE Marquez and can't say enough positive things about it. Marquez fosters learning, creativity, independence and character.

Serious principal problem. She is nice, and that's it As of 2012, it's a disaster admin. wise. VP changes every half year or so. Parents avoid the principal and try to work around dealing with her.

To the parent below who, I quote, "Those few of you who do not pay your fair share of family donations are free-riders and should be ashamed!" SOME PARENTS ARE SINGLE PARENT HOUSEHOLDS WHO CAN'T AFFORD TO SPEND AN EXTRA DOLLAR IN FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTION, it all goes to bills & food for our children. I paid my classroom fee & donated my time because I didn't have extra money to donate. How about you save $$ by giving out less fliers/paper, or donate the demanded $10 per household for the families who can't afford it on top of their class fee. Your statement alone shows the snobbery & close minded behavior of those at the school. You are probably just afraid your property value will go down if this school had bad reviews. My child, who was an A student, when introduced into a far superior academic school, also rated a 10, was NOT properly prepared by Marquez & had to catchup. Public School is just that PUBLIC, there is no such thing as free loading in PUBLIC SCHOOLS especially when parents are devoting their TIME when they can't afford to give their money. You prove that this school is classicist & superficial, & does not prepare the students for their next venture, or the real world.

My daughter from Marquez Elementary School a few years ago and I feel compelled to write this review. Maybe compared to other LA Unified school Marquez is superior, but it is far from being great. There is inconsistency in teachers, some are very good and some are very bad. The families with political pull which are favored seem to get the better teachers. The families are unfriendly and very cliquey. It is easy to become an outsider. There has been quite a bit of turnover in principals over the years - some are good and some not so good. If you try to get anything done in the school, it is near impossible - lots of red tape. All in all, elementary school is supposed to build a foundation for future learning. Marquez does not, doing the bare minimum. If you have the financial means and the inclination, you will have a much better learning experience at Corpus Christi School, Calvary Christian School, or St. Matthew's Parish School. If you decide to go the route of private middle school/ high school, administration will pull for their favored people and everyone else is on their own. Not a good experience.

Marquez has been a fantastic school for my three children and the COG and the PTA do an outstanding job. We were blessed with Mr Hollis but now are enduring Ms. Williams. Unfortunately, the role of principal does not suit her and she sorely lacks leadership skills and communication skills. Issues are ignored or brushed aside and every parent I know is discoraged by her lack of experience. We are very fortunate to have great teachers but would LOVE a new principal to truly lead Marquez.

I have done quite bit of research on most of the private schools in the westside and save for 2 or 3, Marquez is comparable with most academically and what they have to offer. My son is incredibly smart, rambunctious, and a little immature (albeit sweet natures) so I had reservations about how he would be received but my 3 yrs at Marquez have dispelled those doubts. Despite being restricted by LAUSD criteria his teachers have found creative and challenging ways to keep him engaged and in love with school. THE UGLY TRUTH: LAUSD does not offer the extras due to budgetary constraints, we make for it by fundraising. Marquez IS A HEAVY FUNDRAISING SCHOOLS but without it our classrooms would have 5-10 extra bodies ea AND our teacher's would double as PE, Science, Music etc teachers in addition to other extras (like technology etc). The school is tucked away in a partially isolated community; many families choose this areas because it seemed to provide what they were looking for so is it expected that there may be some groupthink? sure. BUT there is a lot of groupthought from well meaning parents. Overall, I love the school and my son loves the school!

Great teachers and dedicated parents. Wish we had more schools like this in Southern California.

Our family moved to the Palisades because of the public school's reputation. Successful fundraising is one of the main reasons Marquez can offer so much more than your average public school and we are grateful to all of the parents and families who work so hard to make the school as good as it can be. Being able to walk to school and go to birthday parties and play dates with our neighbors is a blessing. Our complaints have been with the principal and an appalling lack of leadership. There is a fundamental cultural shift that needs to happen on campus, from the front office to the TA's. Since the 2-years-new principal has been in office, there has been no overarching vision or sense of a moral code. Parents' concerns are routinely brushed aside. Small problems become big problems unnecessarily. But our experience with the families and the community have been wonderful.

Last modified Marquez Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.