Palisades Charter High School

Charter | 9-12

Posted April 2, 2014

I'm not here to rate the school but to offer advice to the student who feels she is not going to be able to attend a unversity. Don't panic about this, you're in the 10th grade and you still have time to catch up. Unfortunately, there will always be teachers who make hasty d cisions simply because you lost concentration. You'll find that there are alot of people like that as you go through life. If your grades are low, you can always take summer classes where you may make them up, perhaps with a teacher who is more caring and concerned. Don't start to panic now, just do your best and find other solutions. Good luck!

Posted March 26, 2014

I currently go to this school and I am in the 10th grade.some of them have helped me understand things I haven't been able to learn before from previous teachers. When I started school last year, about a month into school, I was supposed to be out into Algebra 1, the math class I was put into in the school before palisades, but when I got in they put me in "algebra readiness" which is pre-algebra, I was really mad at this and went to talk to my counselor about it, all she said was I either didn't show up for the placement test or I scored low on the placement test, but I did neither, I have never taken a placement test at Pali and neither was I asked to take one. I'm afraid I won't be able to graduate. his year my teacher had brought down my academic grade (A,B,C,ect.) because I fell asleep in class for a few minutes while she showed us a sample video of a project we will be doing soon. I don't know what to do anymore, I love this school but only the good parts, the rest I just wanna switch to another school who won't mess up my classes and change my grade because of their personal opinion on me.

Posted February 1, 2014

I feel the need to respond to the many posts slamming Pali Math teachers. For starters, MATH IS HARD! Not everyone (possibly even your little genius) is going to be great at higher levels of math. My children (two at Pali) had those teachers everyone warned about. Low and behold, my child experienced that first B in his sophomore year-Oh NO! One of those kids that has to work for every good grade so it was disappointing - he got over it! It would have been easy to blame the teacher, but the truth was, it was just hard. Note to parents: if I just use his small group of friends(from all over LA and diverse ethnically and socioeconomically) as an example - It doesn t appear a B or C ruins lives as they all received early acceptances to some of the top private universities in the country. For those that want to use Pali s scores to support their argument that the Math department is horrible, please look again at those scores and be sure to compare them to other public school choices. Pali isn t perfect but neither are our children. Stop trying to save them from every disappointment-teach them own up and fight through it. Your children just might surprise you.

Posted January 31, 2014

Sending my child to Pali was a huge mistake. It is a beautiful campus, clean, safe and orderly but the academic program is very weak. The Pali Math Dept is notoriously horrible. Over 3 years the pattern is the same:6 teachers per semester - 2 good, 2 bad, 2 just checking the days off the calendar till retirement. My daughter's academic experience has been one of steady decline and the teachers there seem very indifferent to parents and students. I have NEVER received a call from a teacher there, so if you don't closely monitor your child's progress and success - believe me, no one else will! The Principal, Dr Magee, seems oblivious or unconcerned about the lack of academic vigor, and mostly just spurts happy talk about the future.

Posted January 30, 2014

The math department is one of the worst I have ever experienced and they aren't helpful to the student's education.

Posted August 20, 2013

I've never been on the campus nor have I ever met the staff. I am going into the 6th grade; A charter school. My sister went to a different High that she Highly reccemonds, but after seeing videos, reading reviews, and seeing the diversity in this school, I think three years from now palisades will be my choice. I live by car, 2 hours away. But I am very willing to Take, nonetheless but a metro bus just to go to this school! The only thing I'm sorta iffy on is no uniform, because I have worn uniforn since Kindergarten,So i don't have that many like... "Regular" Clothes. But t-shirt and sweats here I come :p! Anyways, I never thought I'd say this but, I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL HIGH SCHOOL!

Posted December 11, 2012

I was considering switching my son from Pali to New West this year. I was thinking a smaller school might be better for him. He has enjoyed the Pali social life a bit too much, and his grades have suffered. However, the principal at New West was the rudest I have ever met. I would NEVER put him in that school now. This experience made me appreciate Pali more, and what it has to offer. I love that Pali has a beautiful campus, many sports teams and a real school spirit. It is a true high school experience. Dr. Magee was beyond kind when I first met with her regarding my son's attendance at Pali. She is warm and welcoming and doing a great job. I am more grateful my son is attending Pali after that experience.

Posted December 4, 2012

I have had 2 kids at Pali and currently. There are certainly many positives such as the local and school safety, amazing college ctr., excellent sports program, and involved parents. Teh teacjers ar every hit and miss. The AP and Honors teachers are generally excellent, but the regular classes are sadly inferior. If your child ONLY tales HOnors and Ap, they will be ok and probably achive great things college wise. If they have some regular classes inmath and science in particulr, they will be ill prepared by their teachers and many unmotivated students in those classes. For a public school, it is above average.

Posted October 30, 2012

I have two boys one who graduated Pali and the other in college now. Generally the school is excellent in many areas. I agree that the math department is very weak with poor teachers. Both my sons are science oriented so a weak math department makes everything else difficult. They really need to work on getting better or more motivated math teachers,

Posted September 24, 2012

Pali has many wonderful teachers and a great student body where tolerance and inclusion thrive, positives that should carry a lot of weight. The biggest weakness at Pali is the math department, their test scores speak volumes and illustrate the severity of the problem. The math program emphasizes group learning which could work in theory but is not properly implemented and supported by the teachers. Every (and I mean EVERY) student that I know has a math tutor because they don't get adequate instruction or support from the teachers. Even with tutors, the students still struggle because the tests can be confusing with two different methods being taught to them. In 11th grade my son scored "advanced" in every area of standardized tests but was barely "basic" in math. One day, Pali will have to address these issues and stop sweeping the parent's concerns under the carpet.

Posted October 27, 2010

I am so pleased with this school. It's my son's first year and his teachers are excellent!!! Great opportunities and diversity at this school! I love that I have access to all his assignments and grades through the teacher's web. I even get phone calls letting me know my son has a quiz to study for. The parent liason always keeps you informed of school meetings, events, etc.

Posted October 26, 2010

this is a great school and I am hoping my daughter will benefit and go to college with the knowledge she is learning from this school. They have great teachers and a great opportunity to achieve great sucess in her life with the courses she is taking.

Posted March 1, 2010

I have 2 daughters who went through the pali system from K-12. The oldest is doing very well at cColorado College. #2 will be attending Vassar in the fall. 'nuf said.

Posted November 10, 2009

Palisades a great school. It has an amazing campus, but most importantly a patient staff ready to teach.

Posted October 20, 2009

I went to Pali for 4 years, had an amazing time, and went, fully prepared, to Stanford University. I don't think there's much more to say.

Posted October 6, 2009

My daughter has received a first class education at this school. The student mix is fantastic and the campus is very impressive. I would never think of paying for Buckley, Harvard Westlake or Lycee now.

Posted September 16, 2009

Amazing school with dedicated teachers and staff giving our students a great opportunity to succeed.

Posted March 31, 2009

Palisades Charter High is one of the BEST public High Schools in California, maybe even in the nation. # 1, it is a beautiful campus - there is green everywhere, Its very open, you can see the mountains, and the ocean. # 2, we have many great faculty, staff, and students. # 3 we have many diligent and very intelligent students creating a great environment. This school is like no other. I am very happy I attend PALI...I love it, its wonderful!

Posted February 15, 2009

Pali treats students in regular classes like trash. Since when are average students considered deficient? Other students think of them the same way. Math dept. is still appallingly bad; some teachers verbally insult the students, with admin's knowledge. Read all the negative review of math dept on this site, going back years. Socially it stinks. Overcrowded with bused in students.

Posted October 30, 2008

I have been reading all the reviews and comments about this school. I know that no school is perfect and there is always room for improvement. The challenges Pali faces can only be solved by parent involvement and positive energy. While the teachers might be protected by the district, we as parents can yield a strong voice if we choose to do so. My suggestion for the parents who are disgruntled with the administration or the teachers or any other facet of the school is to become part of the solution. Get involved with a committee or attend board meetings, make your voice heard and offer solutions to what you consider problematic. I encourage you to do something other than complain.

This school's
API score

861

Change from
2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

182 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

166 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

735 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

199 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

200 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

525 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

475 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

196 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

692 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

700 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

697 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

282 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

173 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

614 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

278 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

622 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students49%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)83%
Parent education - college graduate91%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate93%
Parent education - declined to state79%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students57%

Parent education - not a high school graduate55%
Parent education - college graduate77%
Parent education - declined to state69%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

690 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

694 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students96%

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 33%N/AN/A
English language learners 3%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Speech and language therapist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

• Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Security personnel
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room