Charles Maclay Middle School 4

Posted June 04, 2014
In response to the previous review: Teachers create culture. Culture is dynamic, by definition. We as teachers/staff have the opportunity to engage with wonderful volunteer parents and others to create a positive culture here. I believe that individual empowerment is much more powerful in creating positive change, than negative generalizations which impede the progress we seek. I personally am currently learning more about the power of the tongue. For some reason I am slow to learn; I think I'm being upfront and task-oriented in a positive way, with the best of intentions, but careless words still escape my lips, revealing roots of faulty, negative stereotypes - and bringing conflict instead of positive change. The lesson is painful but I embrace it and will continue to seek to grow, empower, and bless. There are so many eager students and good teachers here! I want to rise up and meet those (who are from this culture) who have gone up ahead of me. I think of my teacher hero, Jaime Escalante. He didn't wait for the student culture to catch up to him. He invented the culture. Let's do what it takes, (inside ourselves first), to join him. :-)

Posted May 19, 2014
Until the culture of the school changes it will not be a good school. This is the school where good kids come to be punished by the vast majority of students who do not want to be there and try to ruin the educational experience for everyone else. The teachers and staff care immensely about the students and their education, but it is impossible to teach when you have to play the role of police officer most of time. The student population as a whole could not care less about choosing a diploma over parole paperwork. When all but 3 students are the problem it makes it very difficult to do anything. I would like to see parents sitting next to every problem student. If mom or dad has to take off work to discipline their student every time they go crazy in the classroom I think it would end the major behavior problems. Maybe the "breakfast in the classroom" program would even mean more than just having items to start a classroom food fight. The students can do the work, they refuse. Whether it is a cultural issue where a good education is not valued in their home or just a loss of control at home by the parents, something has to be done. None of the faculty let their kids go here.

Charles Maclay Middle School 4

Posted June 15, 2013
I'm Valerie Malespin grade 7, now going on to 8th. This really is a great school, with teachers working hard to get their students engaged in learning and to help them understand that education is very important. There is only one problem, some of the kids at this school are a bit too ingnorant and caught up in popularity that it is what makes them slip, if they could just be pushed in the correct direction, then all will be well. There are many helpful and excellent programs at this school that will help the students academically such as; the 'Determined to Dream' reading program and the YS+ program. You've may or may not have heard what people say, that this school is 'ghetto' and bad, but really, see for yourself, don't just believe what the end of the grape vine tells you, see for yourself, the kids have grown so much and the school, too. This is coming from a former student, this is a great school and I will probably never forget about it. This wonderful school deserves a four.

Posted April 24, 2011
Well Hello There I Go To Maclay Middle School.' : ) Boyy It Is A Pretty Interesting School. Alot Of Things Go On There But Thats What Makes It Fun. AnyWaysz ... Well When Many People Here The School MaclayMs They Start Critisizing And Say"Ohh Maclay This,Maclay That, It's Such A Bad School.,,"BlaahBlaaahhBlllah.! They Think It's A Place For Cholas && Cholos. But Nahh They'r Wrong.! That Was All In The Past And I Think They Should Let It Go Because The Past Is The Past. Well Maclay Is A Very GRREAAT School For The 3Years I've Been There I Have Learned ALOOT.!All The Teachers [Staff] Are Nice and They All Care About You. Some Of Them Are Cool To Talk With And Sometimes There Funny.! Oh And The Students They Are All Very Nice. I Get Along With EveryOne There 6th,7th,& Oviously 8th Graders. I Have So Many GREAT Friends There!! If I Would've Never Gone There I Would've Never Met All The Great Friend I Have Now They Are Al Very Important To Me I Consider Some Of Them Like My Family Thats How Nice and Kind They Are To Me. Maclay Is Clean Compare To Many Other Schools&& Theres Really Not Alolt Of Drama There. Well I Love That School It's The Best'!!!! -- With Much Love Sonia.H : )<3

Posted April 15, 2011
I ATTEND TO MACLAY MIDDLE SCHOOL IAND I THINK ITS A GRAET SCHOOL ALL THE STAFF ARE REALLY GREAT AND THEY CARE ALOT ABOUT YOUR FUTUTRE I THINK ILL TELL OTHERS ABOUT THIS SCHOOL IT HAS THE HISTOY OF BEING BAD BUT ITS REALLY GREAT AND FUN TO GO MARIA GONZALEZ PERIOD 7/8

Posted April 14, 2011
These Past Years Att Maclayy Middle Have Been Great. Not Onlyy Because Of The Teachers That iHad But Because Of All The People That iMet There. ( : At Times It Can Be Reallyy Borringg But Other Than That Itss All Good. Maclayy Might Not Be One Of The Most BEST Schools But It Isnt As Bad As Some People Say. Hmm And It Has Alot Of Programs That People Can Join So Yeaa Itss Prettyy Niceee'( x -Loveee,, Sandraaa M. >.<3' (Periodd 7'&'8)

Posted April 14, 2011
Honestly I tjink maclay is a lame school they give nasty food and some dumb rules and it would be better if we didnt have to wear uniform also if the didnt have random searches in the morning also when you get food in the cafeteria they make u grab everything when yout just ganna throw it away and waste it

Charles Maclay Middle School 2

Posted April 14, 2011
Maclay middle school......uumm its an okay school... What i like about maclay its that theres so many opportunity to get a headstart to college...Like the project grad program,after school...What i dislike is that the cafeteria gives nastyy food they should start giving out better food to us..But other than the maclay is an okay school...:)))) -Jazmin Ortega- period 5/6

Charles Maclay Middle School 2

Posted April 14, 2011
Maclay ia an alright school for me. one thing that is good that it has many oppertunities. it also has many programs to teach you about high school and college. which is a good thing it helps kids prepare for life. many kids dont know what to do but it helps you. goog thing there is a school like maclay......:))))...Alyssa Castrellon (per.5-6)

Posted April 14, 2011
This school is cool because we can do a lot of activities and the teachers and staff are great. They help us with everything.

Charles Maclay Middle School
12540 Pierce Avenue, Pacoima, CA  91331
Last modified Charles Maclay Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Charles Maclay Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top